• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle open carry, the final word

chris in va

imported post

I thought it would be best to just start another thread on this subject so future OC'ers could just click and read.

I contacted the KY State Police office, CCDW permit issuing authority. The gentleman's name is Willie, and was very helpful. I will give the phone number upon request, or he said the site is Kentuckystatepolice.org.

Bottom line, the deadly weapon has to be fully visible. It can be on the passenger or rear seat provided nothing is partially covering it up, or on the dash or back window in case of a rifle or shotgun.

The gun cannot be stuffed between the seat and center console, even if the grip is visible. To me this goes against the OC with IWB holster, but I digress. It can also be placed in a glovebox without permit.

Now the LEO pulling you over may have differing opinions on the matter and arrest you, but it won't hold up in court. Willie said this has been in place for many years with the recent addition of the glovebox allowance.

Hope this helps.

hotrod

imported post

chris in va wrote:
I thought it would be best to just start another thread on this subject so future OC'ers could just click and read.

I contacted the KY State Police office, CCDW permit issuing authority. The gentleman's name is Willie, and was very helpful. I will give the phone number upon request, or he said the site is Kentuckystatepolice.org.

Bottom line, the deadly weapon has to be fully visible. It can be on the passenger or rear seat provided nothing is partially covering it up, or on the dash or back window in case of a rifle or shotgun.

The gun cannot be stuffed between the seat and center console, even if the grip is visible. To me this goes against the OC with IWB holster, but I digress. It can also be placed in a glove box without permit.

Now the LEO pulling you over may have differing opinions on the matter and arrest you, but it won't hold up in court. Willie said this has been in place for many years with the recent addition of the glove box allowance.

Hope this helps.
Case law has been very specific in this. If it is recognizable as a handgun, it is not concealed. The glove box carry is not a recent addition. It has been in place long before CCDW was approved in 1996. I will research case law and post here as soon as I can.

nick1207

imported post

MrOverlay wrote:
I knew of the glove box exception in 1975 when I went on KSP.
best thing to do is get your ccdw license. then you dont have to worry about it

chris in va

imported post

Getting a permit is fine, except for new residents. You have to wait 6 months, take the CC course which adds another possible couple weeks, wait for the certificate then another couple months for the permit.

All told, at least 9 months wait time for the permit. Completely unacceptable in my opinion, considering my VA permit took 40 days.

KY_CCDW

imported post

chris in va wrote:
Getting a permit is fine, except for new residents. You have to wait 6 months, take the CC course which adds another possible couple weeks, wait for the certificate then another couple months for the permit.

All told, at least 9 months wait time for the permit. Completely unacceptable in my opinion, considering my VA permit took 40 days.
Actually, you don't HAVE to be a resident to take the class. So you can take the class BEFORE you have lived here 6 months, and then make application with the Sheriff on the day you become a resident. So about 7 to 7.5 months without a CCDW permit tops.

And if you have a CCDW permit from your existing state, there should be no interval time, right?

reefteach

imported post

You can concealed carry in Kentucky on a Florida permit. This would give you 5 years to get the Kentucky license, if you decide you want it at all.

Fred

imported post

If theintent is to open carry in Kentucky then what isthe concern with Concealed Carry?

Dress in a manner to eliminate the possibility of it becoming concealed. In your car carry in the glove box where statues clearly states you are not conceal carrying.

mellio

imported post

Fred wrote:
If theintent is to open carry in Kentucky then what isthe concern with Concealed Carry?

Dress in a manner to eliminate the possibility of it becoming concealed. In your car carry in the glove box where statues clearly states you are not conceal carrying.

You are right that you can carry in your glove box and it will not be considered concealed. But also remember that if it is not concealed it will not be considered concealed. :)

It seems a little weird to me that some people want to carry a gun with them unconcealedso that they are ready in case of the need for self defense, but when they get in the car they want the gun to be away from them in a box on the other side of the car. I'm not putting anyone down for thier choice of carry. To each their own but it just seems wierd to me.

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

chris in va wrote:

Maybe I really do need to move to KY like I've been considering. I will conduct the class any time, just as I do here in MI. Is it really that long of a wait to get into a class down there?

Edit to add: As far as waiting for the certificate, I give those out the day the class is completed. There is no wait when I conduct classes. What do they charge for classe down there?

KY_CCDW

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
chris in va wrote:

Maybe I really do need to move to KY like I've been considering. I will conduct the class any time, just as I do here in MI. Is it really that long of a wait to get into a class down there?

Edit to add: As far as waiting for the certificate, I give those out the day the class is completed. There is no wait when I conduct classes. What do they charge for classe down there?
As for the class certificates, instructors don't "give them out". We submit the class documents (and $$) to the KY Dept of Criminal Justice Training, and they issue the certificates. That takes about 2-3 weeks normally. Then you take the certificate to the local Sheriff, and apply for the permit. Sheriff submits your application to KSP, who does the background check and issues the permit. Typically this takes 4-6 weeks by itself.

HTH

KY_CCDW

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
Well, I guess it is a lot longer process in KY, but it is less expensive than MI. Guess that's okay though, since OC is so widely accepted and there are not near as many limitations on OC as there are in MI.

How much do the instructors charge for the classes in KY?
The state sets the maximum price for the class of $75, plus up to $10 for targets, range fees, etc....

chris in va

imported post

I wanted to take the CC course a few months ago, but the guy at Knob Creek told me I couldn't take it until my 6 month residency was up. One of the other ranges said the same thing.

My VA license became invalid once I moved to KY. I've been operating on my FL non-res but it's not valid in WV.

$75? Knob Creek wanted $100 for their class. I went with another guy that did charge $75 including range time.

KY_CCDW

imported post

chris in va wrote:
I wanted to take the CC course a few months ago, but the guy at Knob Creek told me I couldn't take it until my 6 month residency was up. One of the other ranges said the same thing.

My VA license became invalid once I moved to KY. I've been operating on my FL non-res but it's not valid in WV.

$75? Knob Creek wanted $100 for their class. I went with another guy that did charge $75 including range time.
Its a common misconception that you have to be a resident to take the class, but its not true. You have to be a resident to apply for a CCDW permit with the sheriff, but that doesn't apply to the class IMHO.

If Knob Creek is charging more than $75 for the class plus an extra $10 for supplies, that's not going by what the statute reads... check out paragraph 8:

www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/122.PDF