• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in National Forests

44HP

imported post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wonderingaboutif you can open carry on Federal lands and hiking trails like in the Lincoln NF, Cibola NF, and wildernesses. I think I've read you can but wanted to double check. Thanks in advance guys.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

You can OC in Nat. Forrest, but not Nat. Parks. I would recommend you always carry when in the wilderness areas, I've had bear and cougar encounters.
Resolved peacefully, they took one look at my gun and walked away..LOL

But seriously Only in Nat. Forrest or BLM (unless BLM is posted "NO Firearms")0.

Mark (IL)

imported post

+1

Also not New Mexico STATE parks, and not Wildlife Mgmt Areas. But most of the interesting places around are National Forests. +1 on bear and mountain lion encounters there... tho of course usually they walk away, I always carry there.

Best resource for this is usually www.handgunlaw.us, but they don't have info for National Forests in NM there, oddly--they do for some other states ... Forest Service in general respects state firearms laws...