• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fish's conviction over turned

reconvic

imported post

First off the other man was unarmed, was he in fear of his life?
We are all responsible foe every round we shoot in S/D, in this case I do not see where he needed to shoot, Maybe draw and see if the man would have stop in his tracks. With guns comes common sense. The dogs if they were going to attack would have and I would have killed them, not him. Just my own thought what I would have done.
S/F Vic

zx-twitch

imported post

seriously read the court case. he fired a warning shot at the dogs. when the other man then ran at him he drew down on him and told him to stop several times. the man did not and he defended him self.

now ask your self if you were alone in the woods with a man who is willing to try to attack an armed man, who also has 3 dogs with him would you try to take on the man and his dogs hand to hand or would you keep the upper hand and defend your self with your firearm? Also the man with the dogs had a violent history(fish did not know this at the time of the shooting)

I can honestly say I would do the same as fish. me against 3 dogs and a fearless attacker. I don't like those odds

reconvic

imported post

Well, if it was me I carry 3 forms of S/D . OC ASP spray, which I would have used on the man. The dogs if the actually tried and attack me I would have killed them all. My last form of S/D is a Knife which I can use pretty well. There was a time I would have went hand to hand with him but being my age now no. The above is what I myself would have done truthfully. I have killed enough people in my life and pray I never have to do it again, but I will not be a victim.
S/F Vic

zx-twitch

imported post

If he had it to do over again I am sure he would have carried pepper spray. I recently ordered a a small key chain spray of some very nasty pepper spray(i can't remember the brand). I to have had the misfortune to have to take a few lifes as well(iraq and Afghanistan) and hope I will never have to again. But in the end I will do what ever it take to get home to my girls each night

reconvic

imported post

Me; too and a good reply bro. May I recommend you get not pepper spray but OC from Asp if you need to know where to get it PM me?
S/F Vic

lostone1413

imported post

reconvic wrote:
Well, if it was me I carry 3 forms of S/D . OC ASP spray, which I would have used on the man. The dogs if the actually tried and attack me I would have killed them all. My last form of S/D is a Knife which I can use pretty well. There was a time I would have went hand to hand with him but being my age now no. The above is what I myself would have done truthfully. I have killed enough people in my life and pray I never have to do it again, but I will not be a victim.
S/F Vic

Fish was I believe 50 at the time. The guy charged him knew he had a gun. So I guess your saying fish wasn't justified in shooting when he is 50 and charged by someone who knows he has a gun??

Then you say you can use a knife pretty well If you know anything about sd you know it is 30% more likley you will be killed from a knife attack then being shot

To me Fish was 100% justified I don't know one shooter who would disagree.

lostone1413

imported post

zx-twitch wrote:
seriously read the court case. he fired a warning shot at the dogs. when the other man then ran at him he drew down on him and told him to stop several times. the man did not and he defended him self.

now ask your self if you were alone in the woods with a man who is willing to try to attack an armed man, who also has 3 dogs with him would you try to take on the man and his dogs hand to hand or would you keep the upper hand and defend your self with your firearm? Also the man with the dogs had a violent history(fish did not know this at the time of the shooting)

I can honestly say I would do the same as fish. me against 3 dogs and a fearless attacker. I don't like those odds
I agree 100% Anyone who wouldn't use a gun under the circumstance Fish was under has no business even carrying a gun. The ones who convicted him what would you want to bet most come from CA and were anti gun and anti self defense in the first place. Not the AZ of Goldwater are we

reconvic

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
reconvic wrote:
S/F Vic

Fish was I believe 50 at the time. The guy charged him knew he had a gun. So I guess your saying fish wasn't justified in shooting when he is 50 and charged by someone who knows he has a gun??

Then you say you can use a knife pretty well If you know anything about sd you know it is 30% more likley you will be killed from a knife attack then being shot

Well, you are allowed your opinion and do what you feel is right I am almost 60 year of age and I told you what I would do. I had my knife wet way more then once for your information. And if you read my post I would have used OC. So I will leave it at that, Enuff said.
S/F. Vic

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just a little point that is often overlooked or left unsaid.

If the bad guy charges thegood guy holding a gun, the bad guy is about to come into possession of a gun. Don't matter whether he picks a gunup off a table nearby, picks a gunup off the floor, or takes it right out of the good guy's hands. The bad guy then has a gun.

And, if the gun is then taken from the good guy's hand, the good guy ain't got a gun anymore with which to defend himself against the now-armed bad guy.

If all the other elements of justified lethal force are present--jeopardy, opportunity, etc--then I think most self-defense experts will say the good guy is justified in shooting.

Also, Massad Ayoob points out in his video, Judicious Use of Deadly Force, (paraphrase) that if the bad guy thinks he has the skill to take the gun away from you, you are justified in assuming he knows his business.For example, maybe he has some training at disarming people.

Mahan0331

imported post

reconvic wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:

Then you say you can use a knife pretty well If you know anything about sd you know it is 30% more likely you will be killed from a knife attack then being shot

Well, you are allowed your opinion and do what you feel is right I am almost 60 year of age and I told you what I would do. I had my knife wet way more then once for your information. And if you read my post I would have used OC. So I will leave it at that, Enuff said.
S/F. Vic

I tip my hat to you reconvic,

I only know one guy who used his bayonet, it wasn't his first but its defiantly the one that has stayed w/ him....

Do I think Fish was 100% Justified? - eeh, No

...deadly force is that force in which a reasonable or prudent person may consider likely to cause death or serious bodily harm. Deadly force is used as a last resort when all other means have failed or cannot reasonably be employed. (had to memorize this back in '03 before we were Allowed to engage the enemy)

Would I do the same thing? - Probably,

...but then agian thats only because Ive spent toolong "over there" and lost too many friends toput up w/ bull@#$%.