Thread: Interesting encounter with louisville LEO/ex-LEO

Post imported post

Ok I know I haven't been on here in a while since my last post. I am in louisville for a week or so now. and I had just arived at my hotel. unpacked my things and decided to walk to the gas station on the corner of taylorsville road and hurstbourne lane. not the Super America but the one on the other side. I walked up to the store and noticed a marked police car. it was city i thing silver with blue writing it wasn't state. I walk into the store and pick up my items. and go to pay I was very polite to everyone. with yes mam and yes sir. and even held the door open for a elderl woman. like any gntleman would do. I was dressed casual in jeans and a t shirt and ball cap. I had my HK USP in leather holster openly displayed. I was then asked by a gentleman from across the room if i had a permit to carry my firearm.I replied to the negative as I have not recieved it from the Sherriffs office yet. He then askedhow i was able to carry a firearm like I was. I replied "Sir in the state of Kentucky it is legal for a civilian to carry a firearm in the open with no permit needed". at that point he got agitated and raised his voice and said "No it's not that law was taken out a long time ago". He was in plain clothes notuniform but i still afforded him respect like i would anybody. It was then stated by him "you better go put it up, I am a cop. and It is not legal for anybody except an LEO to carry like that". I replied "Ok" not to be argumentativeat this time of night. and just getting into town. I then tried to continue to pay for my items. he then said again"You cant carry like that without a permit and told me to put it up" I said "Sir, I will I am agreeing with you I would like to pay for m items and I will head back to my Hotel." I then paid for my items. and was in the process of leaving. he then said"he better not catch me open carrying again".

I am contacting the store to see if I can get his name, badge number and department. I will then contact his departmentboth in writing and by phone to inuire why they are not trained in the law since they are supposed to enforce it.

Thanks

Helms, Thomas S

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

This format is a little easier on the eyes:

Ok I know I haven't been on here in a while since my last post. I am in louisville for a week or so now.

I had just arived at my hotel. unpacked my things and decided to walk to the gas station on the corner of taylorsville road and hurstbourne lane. not the Super America but the one on the other side. I walked up to the store and noticed a marked police car. it was city i thing silver with blue writing it wasn't state.

I walk into the store and pick up my items. and go to pay I was very polite to everyone. with yes mam and yes sir. and even held the door open for a elderl woman. like any gntleman would do. I was dressed casual in jeans and a t shirt and ball cap. I had my HK USP in leather holster openly displayed.

I was then asked by a gentleman from across the room if i had a permit to carry my firearm.I replied to the negative as I have not recieved it from the Sherriffs office yet. He then askedhow i was able to carry a firearm like I was. I replied "Sir in the state of Kentucky it is legal for a civilian to carry a firearm in the open with no permit needed".

at that point he got agitated and raised his voice and said "No it's not that law was taken out a long time ago". He was in plain clothes notuniform but i still afforded him respect like i would anybody. It was then stated by him "you better go put it up, I am a cop. and It is not legal for anybody except an LEO to carry like that".

I replied "Ok" not to be argumentativeat this time of night. and just getting into town. I then tried to continue to pay for my items. he then said again"You cant carry like that without a permit and told me to put it up"

I said "Sir, I will I am agreeing with you I would like to pay for m items and I will head back to my Hotel." I then paid for my items. and was in the process of leaving. he then said"he better not catch me open carrying again".

I am contacting the store to see if I can get his name, badge number and department. I will then contact his departmentboth in writing and by phone to inuire why they are not trained in the law since they are supposed to enforce it.

Thanks

Helms, Thomas S

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome back.

Seems like every time we hear from you, you have annoyed some cop.

Not sure if I should be concerned, or say, "Way to go!!" (Just teasing.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I think I have posted a few good OC experiences... I have been very busy lately and don't know which way is down anymore... Thanks Citizen for helping me out with the pst. If i haven't posted any posative OC experiences then I sure meant to and will in the future.

I don't try and annoy them. it just seems to happen I try and get my point accros in the most non offensive ways i know how.

I will also keep everybody informed on the future events while I'm in town. Does anybody have any info on OC and the 4th celebration at the waterfront. I woulld like to OC while I am there

Thanks,

Helms,, Thomas S

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I suspecthe may not have been a cop at all. Just a mouthy somebody, or like you suspected, and ex-LEO.

I'll have to add to my tactics, "Sir, always glad to meet the hardworking police. Just so everything is above board, may I see your credentials?"

Not that you committed a sin by omitting to ask. Its just that this isn't the first time an OCer reported being accosted by someone claiming to be an LEO.

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA

Post imported post

Open Carry at Thunder was oked, so I dont see how the rules would be different for the 4th.

I wonder if that cop saw the news about the church over on valley station road.

Post imported post

Open Carry at Thunder was oked, so I dont see how the rules would be different for the 4th.

Post imported post

Post imported post

I am all about being polite. However in your situation there is no way I would have left the store without gathering the name and badge number of this officer--if that's indeed what he was. Makes going up the chain to his bosses so much easier.

I always try to remember what a wise old boss of mine used to say: 'If you don't like the music, go talk to the organ grinder, NOT the #$%^in' monkey!'

Post imported post

I understand that and will remember that for the future. I believed that he was a police officer because there was a marked metro police cruiser out front of the store but yall are right I should have asked for credentials

Post imported post

But, as you said in your original posting, you can head back to the station and request the name of their off-duty security guard. I don't know from your description of the cruiser if the individual was LMPD or J-town. But, once you talk to the station you should be able to head in the right direction. This fella needs some education!

Post imported post

MgoBlue wrote:
    But, as you said in your original posting, you can head back to the station and request the name of their off-duty security guard. I don't know from your description of the cruiser if the individual was LMPD or J-town. But, once you talk to the station you should be able to head in the right direction. This fella needs some education!
    Amen, I am pretty sure it was LMPD becuase on the rear of the trunk on the cruiser it sayed Metro Police if I am not mistaken.

Post imported post

Well, in that case . . .

574-7660 is the main switchboard at Metro Police. Ask to speak to Colonel Phil Turner -- he oversees all of the patrol divisions on the force. Explain to him what happened and ask if he might send a message out to the department reminding them of basic open carry laws. I'd suggest going to Turner, since you can't say which division the officer is attached to. Even though he was working off-duty over in J-town, his normal patrol division might be someplace else.

Post imported post

I called and left a message for Col. Turner. I also called down to the convienence store which was the Five Star Food Mart on taylorsville road. last night and they told me that the man's name was Frank and that they didn't know if it was his real name or not so that wasn't much help I am going to wak back up there tonight about the same time to see if he is there and I wll get his information if he is.

Post imported post

I think the advice to ask the officer for identification (and not just "a badge") was excellent, especially in this case where we know you're clearly righteous.

"Sir, may I see your agency identification credentials please?" in an assertive voice. Take control of the encounter.

If he gave me any resistance, including failure to show credentials ('badging' doesn't get it... "yeah, I can buy those in the back of magazines too"), I'd pull out my phone and 911 and let them know you need a uniformed officer to investigate someone impersonating an officer.

John

Post imported post

Col. Turner called me back today over lunch. I he confirmed what i already knew He said "We are in agreement because you were doing nothing illegal" I thanked him for his time. and he thanked me for my inpt and he said he would brig it up to the department. I also told him I would contact him with the officers information once I have it. He was very professional na courteous. I had a good experience with Col. Turner. I hope i can get that officer's /ex-officer's officer wannabe whichever he may be. I will let yall know what else comes up

Post imported post

I'm glad Col. Turner was able to get back to you. He will follow up with the department's officers . . . rest assured. Doesn't mean problems won't crop up in the future, but there is no big conspiracy at the top of LMPD to "get" those who open carry. Way to go!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

PFC Helms wrote:
    Col. Turner called me back today over lunch. I he confirmed what i already knew He said "We are in agreement because you were doing nothing illegal" I thanked him for his time. and he thanked me for my inpt and he said he would brig it up to the department. I also told him I would contact him with the officers information once I have it. He was very professional na courteous. I had a good experience with Col. Turner. I hope i can get that officer's /ex-officer's officer wannabe whichever he may be. I will let yall know what else comes up
    Sounds like you are moving the ball along. Well done.

Post imported post

You're back? I thought you might have left the forum after you were found out
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

catass wrote:
    i thought i recongnized his name for some reason, it was fromanother thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/20486-1.html

Post imported post

catass wrote:
    Please explain you're statement of "I thought you might have left the forum after you were found out"? What was found out, why would they leave?
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Post imported post

neuroblades wrote:
    catass wrote:
    Please explain you're statement of "I thought you might have left the forum after you were found out"? What was found out, why would they leave?
    Look one post before yours (and one post after the one you quoted): that link explains all.