• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting encounter with louisville LEO/ex-LEO

PFC Helms

imported post

Ok I know I haven't been on here in a while since my last post. I am in louisville for a week or so now. and I had just arived at my hotel. unpacked my things and decided to walk to the gas station on the corner of taylorsville road and hurstbourne lane. not the Super America but the one on the other side. I walked up to the store and noticed a marked police car. it was city i thing silver with blue writing it wasn't state. I walk into the store and pick up my items. and go to pay I was very polite to everyone. with yes mam and yes sir. and even held the door open for a elderl woman. like any gntleman would do. I was dressed casual in jeans and a t shirt and ball cap. I had my HK USP in leather holster openly displayed. I was then asked by a gentleman from across the room if i had a permit to carry my firearm.I replied to the negative as I have not recieved it from the Sherriffs office yet. He then askedhow i was able to carry a firearm like I was. I replied "Sir in the state of Kentucky it is legal for a civilian to carry a firearm in the open with no permit needed". at that point he got agitated and raised his voice and said "No it's not that law was taken out a long time ago". He was in plain clothes notuniform but i still afforded him respect like i would anybody. It was then stated by him "you better go put it up, I am a cop. and It is not legal for anybody except an LEO to carry like that". I replied "Ok" not to be argumentativeat this time of night. and just getting into town. I then tried to continue to pay for my items. he then said again"You cant carry like that without a permit and told me to put it up" I said "Sir, I will I am agreeing with you I would like to pay for m items and I will head back to my Hotel." I then paid for my items. and was in the process of leaving. he then said"he better not catch me open carrying again".

I am contacting the store to see if I can get his name, badge number and department. I will then contact his departmentboth in writing and by phone to inuire why they are not trained in the law since they are supposed to enforce it.

Thanks

Helms, Thomas S

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This format is a little easier on the eyes:

Ok I know I haven't been on here in a while since my last post. I am in louisville for a week or so now.

I had just arived at my hotel. unpacked my things and decided to walk to the gas station on the corner of taylorsville road and hurstbourne lane. not the Super America but the one on the other side. I walked up to the store and noticed a marked police car. it was city i thing silver with blue writing it wasn't state.

I walk into the store and pick up my items. and go to pay I was very polite to everyone. with yes mam and yes sir. and even held the door open for a elderl woman. like any gntleman would do. I was dressed casual in jeans and a t shirt and ball cap. I had my HK USP in leather holster openly displayed.

I was then asked by a gentleman from across the room if i had a permit to carry my firearm.I replied to the negative as I have not recieved it from the Sherriffs office yet. He then askedhow i was able to carry a firearm like I was. I replied "Sir in the state of Kentucky it is legal for a civilian to carry a firearm in the open with no permit needed".

at that point he got agitated and raised his voice and said "No it's not that law was taken out a long time ago". He was in plain clothes notuniform but i still afforded him respect like i would anybody. It was then stated by him "you better go put it up, I am a cop. and It is not legal for anybody except an LEO to carry like that".

I replied "Ok" not to be argumentativeat this time of night. and just getting into town. I then tried to continue to pay for my items. he then said again"You cant carry like that without a permit and told me to put it up"

I said "Sir, I will I am agreeing with you I would like to pay for m items and I will head back to my Hotel." I then paid for my items. and was in the process of leaving. he then said"he better not catch me open carrying again".

I am contacting the store to see if I can get his name, badge number and department. I will then contact his departmentboth in writing and by phone to inuire why they are not trained in the law since they are supposed to enforce it.

Thanks

Helms, Thomas S

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome back.

Seems like every time we hear from you, you have annoyed some cop.

Not sure if I should be concerned, or say, "Way to go!!" (Just teasing.)

PFC Helms

imported post

I think I have posted a few good OC experiences... I have been very busy lately and don't know which way is down anymore... Thanks Citizen for helping me out with the pst. If i haven't posted any posative OC experiences then I sure meant to and will in the future.

I don't try and annoy them. it just seems to happen I try and get my point accros in the most non offensive ways i know how.

I will also keep everybody informed on the future events while I'm in town. Does anybody have any info on OC and the 4th celebration at the waterfront. I woulld like to OC while I am there

Thanks,

Helms,, Thomas S

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I suspecthe may not have been a cop at all. Just a mouthy somebody, or like you suspected, and ex-LEO.

I'll have to add to my tactics, "Sir, always glad to meet the hardworking police. Just so everything is above board, may I see your credentials?"

Not that you committed a sin by omitting to ask. Its just that this isn't the first time an OCer reported being accosted by someone claiming to be an LEO.

Brian D.

imported post

I am all about being polite. However in your situation there is no way I would have left the store without gathering the name and badge number of this officer--if that's indeed what he was. Makes going up the chain to his bosses so much easier.

I always try to remember what a wise old boss of mine used to say: 'If you don't like the music, go talk to the organ grinder, NOT the #$%^in' monkey!'

PFC Helms

imported post

I understand that and will remember that for the future. I believed that he was a police officer because there was a marked metro police cruiser out front of the store but yall are right I should have asked for credentials

MgoBlue

imported post

But, as you said in your original posting, you can head back to the station and request the name of their off-duty security guard. I don't know from your description of the cruiser if the individual was LMPD or J-town. But, once you talk to the station you should be able to head in the right direction. This fella needs some education!

PFC Helms

imported post

MgoBlue wrote:
But, as you said in your original posting, you can head back to the station and request the name of their off-duty security guard. I don't know from your description of the cruiser if the individual was LMPD or J-town. But, once you talk to the station you should be able to head in the right direction. This fella needs some education!
Amen, I am pretty sure it was LMPD becuase on the rear of the trunk on the cruiser it sayed Metro Police if I am not mistaken.

MgoBlue

imported post

Well, in that case . . .

574-7660 is the main switchboard at Metro Police. Ask to speak to Colonel Phil Turner -- he oversees all of the patrol divisions on the force. Explain to him what happened and ask if he might send a message out to the department reminding them of basic open carry laws. I'd suggest going to Turner, since you can't say which division the officer is attached to. Even though he was working off-duty over in J-town, his normal patrol division might be someplace else.

PFC Helms

imported post

I called and left a message for Col. Turner. I also called down to the convienence store which was the Five Star Food Mart on taylorsville road. last night and they told me that the man's name was Frank and that they didn't know if it was his real name or not so that wasn't much help I am going to wak back up there tonight about the same time to see if he is there and I wll get his information if he is.

templar223

imported post

I think the advice to ask the officer for identification (and not just "a badge") was excellent, especially in this case where we know you're clearly righteous.

"Sir, may I see your agency identification credentials please?" in an assertive voice. Take control of the encounter.

If he gave me any resistance, including failure to show credentials ('badging' doesn't get it... "yeah, I can buy those in the back of magazines too"), I'd pull out my phone and 911 and let them know you need a uniformed officer to investigate someone impersonating an officer.

John

PFC Helms

imported post

Col. Turner called me back today over lunch. I he confirmed what i already knew He said "We are in agreement because you were doing nothing illegal" I thanked him for his time. and he thanked me for my inpt and he said he would brig it up to the department. I also told him I would contact him with the officers information once I have it. He was very professional na courteous. I had a good experience with Col. Turner. I hope i can get that officer's /ex-officer's officer wannabe whichever he may be. I will let yall know what else comes up

MgoBlue

imported post

I'm glad Col. Turner was able to get back to you. He will follow up with the department's officers . . . rest assured. Doesn't mean problems won't crop up in the future, but there is no big conspiracy at the top of LMPD to "get" those who open carry. Way to go!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PFC Helms wrote:
Col. Turner called me back today over lunch. I he confirmed what i already knew He said "We are in agreement because you were doing nothing illegal" I thanked him for his time. and he thanked me for my inpt and he said he would brig it up to the department. I also told him I would contact him with the officers information once I have it. He was very professional na courteous. I had a good experience with Col. Turner. I hope i can get that officer's /ex-officer's officer wannabe whichever he may be. I will let yall know what else comes up
Sounds like you are moving the ball along. Well done.