• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A New Governor

Woodchuck

imported post

davegran wrote:
J.B. Van Hollen would be a great Governor! He is definitely a defender of our Second Amendment Rights as proven by his advisory memo of April 20 to clarify the use of the disorderly conduct charge in open carry situations in Wisconsin and nationally with the communication of June 11 that he and 22 other Chief Legal Officers sent to Attorney General Eric Holder to express their opposition to a semi-automatic firearms prohibition.

The Memo had nothing to do with where he falls on gun rights, he was just clarifying law. Even an honest extreme anti gun liberal(an oxymoron, I know) could have made the very same memo. His opposition to the firearms prohibition however, was a clear stance that makes me proud he's our AG.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am not comfortable with J.B. being elected to Gov.

Look at his lack of action on the O-C issue for months and years, then his "Informal Memo" lacked so much pertinent information, many anti-2A police chiefs quickly found a way to continue to harass law abiding carriers, and many of his points left way to much for personal interpretation. He stated something we already know, he was very unclear on very important points. and did not do a good enough job letting the police and prosecutors know that violating our rights will have consequences. Not like currentlywhere we only get satisfaction if we can find and afford to hire a lawyer that cares about our rights. Nothing was said to protect the law abiding citizen from overzealous police about O-C from J.B., I think it caused more confusion that it has answered questions!

With a name like Mark Todd, I already have some reservations, You may think it is weird, but think back of people you know with names that are like his, (a last name that can be used for a first name).

I heard a long time ago froman olderman who said: " you can never trust a person whose last name can be used as a first name, keep an eye on them, they'll stab you in the back the first chance they get"
In my life experiences I have found this to be true. And it reminds me too much of "Sweeney Todd". I would need to see some serious momentum from this guy toshow himself astotally different than Diamond Jim before feeling any more comfortable with him.

If a candidate comesout and promises he will get a decentconcealed carry program to Wisconsin residents, and backs up our right to O-C without any further bullschitt. Then that candidate will get my attention. If a candidate promises to get carry options similar to VT & AK, I'll even campaign for them.
Other than that, they can all bite my shiny metal ass until the make a proven effort to bring us up to date with the rest of the country. How about using a "Castle Doctrine" as a campaign stance?
Give the law abiding citizens of WI a fair chance against the criminals without threats of arrest, prosecution, and civil suitsfor defending ourselves, get some controls in on the police departments that are running amok. Some laws to protect us, the citizens of this once great state from becoming subjects.

ROOK_WI

imported post

Disclaimer: The author of this article is NOT Mark Todd. The views and opinions expressed in this article are soley those of the author. Mark Todd for Governor does not excplicitly approve the views and opinions in this article. To learn more about Mark Todd's stances on political issues, please refer to the issues navigation tab at the top of this page.

This article may contain hyperlinks to third party websites. Mark Todd does not endorse and makes no warranty or representations regarding any linked web sites and/or the information, products, or services contained therein.

"Mark Todd for Govenor does not explicitly approve the views & opinions in this article."

He made sure his 'way out' was at the bottom of the page.

patriotguy

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

IMHO even if the story is not true and this candidate allows the story to be posted on his site, this would be a clear indication that the candidate would be in support of the situation depicted in the story. Therefore, supporting the 2nd Amendment and ones right to self defense.
In fairness I will say that the last article posted above does refute the story on Mark Todd's web page.
However, it also does not give any real proof of it not being true. I would much rather see a written statement by the Butte Montana Sheriff rather than a he said she said confirmation.
A great example would be that the Mukwonago incident that was posted in another thread was never listed in the paper or on the Mukwonago Police Blotter. Does that mean it did not happen?

ROOK_WI

imported post

I'd like to see any of them stare into a camera and state that they will stand up for the right to carry -and see them carrying themselves, rather thanothers protecting them.

Actions speak louder than words. Meet & Greet at a non-gov't locale, with one"on the hip"- you MIGHT get my vote, butI still have to dig and have to find out if you are dear to 2A, or just posturing...

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
davegran wrote:
J.B. Van Hollen would be a great Governor! He is definitely a defender of our Second Amendment Rights as proven by his advisory memo of April 20 to clarify the use of the disorderly conduct charge in open carry situations in Wisconsin and nationally with the communication of June 11 that he and 22 other Chief Legal Officers sent to Attorney General Eric Holder to express their opposition to a semi-automatic firearms prohibition.

The Memo had nothing to do with where he falls on gun rights, he was just clarifying law. Even an honest extreme anti gun liberal(an oxymoron, I know) could have made the very same memo....

The fact that he wrote the memo speaks to his stance on gun rights. He could have remained silent and it would have been business as usual in Wisconsin. His memo opened the flood gates.

Nutczak

imported post

davegran wrote:
Woodchuck wrote:
davegran wrote:

The Memo had nothing to do with where he falls on gun rights, he was just clarifying law. Even an honest extreme anti gun liberal(an oxymoron, I know) could have made the very same memo....

The fact that he wrote the memo speaks to his stance on gun rights. He could have remained silent and it would have been business as usual in Wisconsin. His memo opened the flood gates.

The memo was all fluff, he flapped his jaws just enough to please a few pro-2A folks, and simply reminded city govt's that we can carry. I think he could have been a whole lot firmer and pointed by spelling out the law and make it known that violation of it would have held serious consequences.
Seriously WTF?
He left too many things flapping in the breeze in that memo and we are actually no better off now then we were a year ago. All it did was get the law change (that took place a decade or more ago) published in the papers and mentioned on the TV news.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I just had a phone conversation with Mark Todd. He expressed to me that he is very much in agreement with us and is a proponent of OC and CCW.

He is a strong supporter of 2A and also told me he would be willing to come to this forum and make his views known.

I also told him about the online petition and why these laws need to be repealed. He agrees.

I think we should at least give this guy the opportunity to address our questions and concerns.

None of the other candidates have made that effort yet.

I do have his number if anyone is interested in speaking with him.

Maybe an invite to a picnic would be in order.

Nutczak

imported post

Lets get him signed up and speaking his piece! If he is the real deal, I think support of OCDO members could bring alot of good things his way. Like I mentioned earlier, if he plans on implementing VT/AK carry. I'll even campaign for him!

I think it would beonly fair to inform him that he will get some major grilling from a few of us that still have a foul taste in our mouths from previous politicians that told one story to a certain group of people, and completly reversed themselves when speaking to a group with opposing views.

If he is truly a 2A proponent, would he be willing to stake the race on that stance?
Way too many people say they are pro gun-ownership. but a little digging shows the exact opposite from the previous actions. Lets look at the clown in the white house posing with hunters and sportsmen to try and make it look like he is 2A friendly, bt then see he voted against private citizens being able to defend themselves and own guns.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

My thoughts... he is not a career politician, that is a bonus. He is a family man and he expressed that he believes in our right to protect ourselves. That means more than just hunting.

He specifically said he is in favor of CCW and OC and agrees that the laws covered in our petition need to be repealed.

I can understand anyone's skepticism, but keep in mind, he has already given us more than any other candidate as far as where they stand on the views.

We need to keep up the invites to the forum and the picnics.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Just Received a call from Mark Todd, he likes the forum and will be coming on later to post in hoping to answer your questions.

He has a fund raiser coming up on Aug, 28th at the PAC in Appleton and I also told him about the picnic in Glenwood City on Aug 23.

I told him to watch this forum and he will know when and where the picnics are and that he is always welcome to attend.

His comment, we need a governor who cares about jobs and is ProGun!
He is looking forward to meeting any of us and corresponding here in the forum.