• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County False Arrest Status?

Deanimator

imported post

Does anybody have any updated information about the case linked below? A guy from North Carolina informed voluntarily (not required in VA) during a traffic stop in Fairfax County, Virginia. He ended up being falsely arrested for a variety of bizarre "offenses" which don't exist in Virginia. They tried [unsuccessfully] to keep his gun after a magistrate freed him. I'd say "after a magistrate dismissed the charges", but can a magistrate dismiss charges which don't even exist in law?

I recall there being talk of suing the officers and Fairfax County, but haven't heard anything since.

http://www2.vcdl.org/webapps/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=2261027

Deanimator

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Wow... those guys were really on their 'A' game, weren't they?

:banghead:
If it were me, I'd be cheerfully ruining some careers, finances and lives.

When they tried to keep his gun, they went from stump stupid to malicious.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I think PVC told me a couple months back that the guy decided not to sue :-(
The case was dropped though. Philip. Please confirm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Just noticed that was over a year ago.

Don't have time to search out the answer right now but surely something more transpired.

Yata hey

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The statute of limitations is two years.  I wish that guy from NC would call me about this.

Deanimator

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
He told me he wasn't going to sue.
Any information on what happened to the cops?

His choice of course, but what a shame.

That's THE most egregious CCW/OC related police incident I've heard of, at least that didn't involve somebody getting shot.

I can't help but think that the cops involved believe that they got away with something and will do it again if they think they can get away with it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

With all due respect and no insult intended to any one, all we end with here is an anecdotal story.

Unless I am mistaken, no FOIA was accomplished, no charges filed, no suit perfected, no link of any kind. I thought I was up to date on this - have I missed something? There may be those of you that know this gentleman well and have every reason to accept his word at face value - that is not the question.

We've heard the story - expressed our outrage - and now what? Since he has chosen to not follow through, we are left holding the proverbial empty bag.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP We've heard the story - expressed our outrage - and now what? Since he has chosen to not follow through, we are left holding the proverbial empty bag.

Yes. But cops are somewhat insular. And a tough crowd. We can take some satisfaction that there is probably now a Fairfax County cop nicknamed,"Hollowpoint." Or maybe, "Jersey boy."

:)

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP We've heard the story - expressed our outrage - and now what? Since he has chosen to not follow through, we are left holding the proverbial empty bag.

Yes. But cops are somewhat insular. And a tough crowd. We can take some satisfaction that there is probably now a Fairfax County cop nicknamed,"Hollowpoint." Or maybe, "Jersey boy."

When I moved down here, "Jersey boy" was my nickname for a short time....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Citizen wrote:

When I moved down here, "Jersey boy" was my nickname for a short time...
What changed that? Your new found southern accent? :D

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Citizen wrote:

When I moved down here, "Jersey boy" was my nickname for a short time...
What changed that? Your new found southern accent? :D

Yata hey

Don't you remember? I gace him honorary redneck status:lol: