Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford picnic

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Where: Seymour Lake Park 2795 Seymour Lake rd. Oxford, MI 48371

When: Sunday August 2nd, 2009 1pm- until whenever

I would like to invite all of you and your friends and family to Seymour Lake Park for a picnic. This is truly a great park with TONS of stuff to do.

Here is a link to the park website http://www.oxparkrec.org/seymour.htm

Hope to see you all there!

Post imported post

Tentative for now, but I don't think there will be an issue.

Post imported post

Great, hope you can make it. I can bring a cooler, ice, water, gas grill, buns, and hot dogs.

Post imported post

I have been trying to work with the Oxford board members to try and get their unlawful firearm ordinance changed. So far I haven't had much luck with them getting back to me about this. All the more reason to have a great turn out for the picnic!

I plan on going to the board meeting tomorrow night, and I also invited them to the picnic on the 2nd. Below is the progress so far.

Dear Oxford Township officials, Oxford police department,

While researching the Code of Ordinances for the Township of Oxford, I came across local ordinance
    [/b]
    Sec. 34-40[/b]. Firearms and other weapons, explosives and dangerous substances.
    No person shall have in his possession or control any rifle, shotgun, pistol or other firearm, slingshot, pellet gun, air rifle, explosives or other dangerous substances within any park.
    (Ord. No. 56, § 9, 5-13-1981)
    Cross references: Weapons, § 30-241 et seq.

Sec. 30-242[/b]. Possession of firearms, other weapons or traps.
    (b) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license while at or going to and from a recognized rifle or target range, or trap or skeet shooting ground, if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

Under the 1990 state preemption law (MCL 123.1102, outlined in brief below), this ordinance is unenforceable in regard to firearm possession and transport. Furthermore, the existence of this ordinance, being in conflict with the law of the State of Michigan, is misleading to the people of Oxford Twp. and other citizens who may visit the City.

As an Oxford resident, I am requesting this ordinance be amended within 90 days to comply with MCL 123.1102. Failure to amend this ordinance could be considered an act of malfeasance as it willfully misinforms the public of what is and is not allowed in the parks of Oxford Twp. I look forward to your resolution and response when this ordinance is amended.

Thank you,
    signed me

Michigan Legislature FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
    Act 319 of 1990
    123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
    Sec. 2.
    A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(3uzohtmics2b4u45avhaptfn))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:46 AM
    To: Curtis Wright
    Subject: follow up

[size=][/size]
    Mr. Wright,
    [size=][/size]
    My name is I sent you an email on 6/5/09 regarding amending an unlawful and unenforceable local ordinance in Oxford twp. regarding firearms in parks. I have not heard back from you regarding this issue as of yet. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
    [size=][/size]
    Thank you,
    signed me

From: Wright, Curtis To: me Cc: Bill Dunn Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:45 AM Subject: RE: follow up
    Dear Mr.

Your request in regard to the ordinance referencing firearms in our parks is being reviewed. I apologize for not responding earlier.

Thank you,
    Curtis W. Wright, Clerk
    Charter Township of Oxford

To: Wright, Curtis Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:54 PM Subject: Re: follow up
    Mr. Wright Thank you for following up with me. I look forward to hearing from you when your review is completed. Sincerely,
    me

SENT JULY 7th
    Mr. Wright, I just wanted to touch base with you regarding our prior conversation. Have you made any progress in your review of the local firearm ordinances? Also, I wanted to take this time to extend an invite to all of the board members for an open carry picnic that we will be having at Seymour Lake Park on Sunday August 2nd at 1pm. I will try to stop by for the meeting tomorrow night and perhaps we can discuss this further. Thank you for your time, and I hope to see you at the picnic. Sincerely,
    me

Post imported post

I'm a maybe. Won't know for sure until a few days ahead of time.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Update 6/7/09 No mention on if they plan on attending though.

Dear Mr.
    Oxford Township has forwarded this issue regarding firearms to legal counsel for review. Once this review is completed Oxford Township will be in a position to make any necessary changes to our ordinance regarding firearms in our parks. That is our progress to date.
    Thank you,
    Curtis W. Wright, Clerk
    Charter Township of Oxford

Post imported post

I was contacted by the editor of the Oxford leader (our local paper) today for an interview regarding the picnic. I asked him if he learned about it from the website and he stated that one of the board members told him about it.

I felt it went very well, he was nice and seemed open to the idea of OC. I'm looking forward to reading the article. I'll post it as soon as it comes out. I provided him with a couple of the handouts and directed him towards the web site.

Lets try and get a good turn out!

Post imported post

The articles in the Oxford Leader came out yesterday. I think they came out great, and there wasn't just one article but three! Thank you to the paper and the editor for the support. :celebrate

About the picnic
    http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles...rry_right.html

About the ordinances
    http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles...forceable.html

Editor opinion on the picnic
    http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles...21_My_Way.html

Post imported post

Good on ya General, thank you. And, athank you to The Oxford Leader and CJ for a job well done.

Post imported post

Excellent articles.

I may try to attend, I live very close to the park.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    The articles in the Oxford Leader came out yesterday. I think they came out great, and there wasn't just one article but three! Thank you to the paper and the editor for the support. :celebrate

About the picnic

About the ordinances

What a great article and very well done. Your quotes and the interview were spot on. Very well done John. We need a Regional Coordinator for the SE...I see a good candidate!

I posted the articles on the news thread.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Thanks Brian, I appreciate that. Hopefully we will good a good tun out of local citizens. It's important to have a good turn out of our members at these picnics to show support, but I think it's even more important to get a good turn out of locals who do not currently know anything about it. I hope this helps.

KEN KD, I hope to see you at the picnic. If you live near the park then you are not that far from me either. Let me know if you ever want to grab lunch or something, it's always good to network with people in your area. Welcome to the group.

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:

About the picnic

About the ordinances

Lookit this big shot!

Well done John, well done sir! Was there anything in the Leader that day that didn't involve the picinic?

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote
    Lookit this big shot!

Well done John, well done sir! Was there anything in the Leader that day that didn't involve the picinic?
    lol thanks, its a for a great cause! Now how bout a few more names to add to that list of guests.

Post imported post

The link in the article does not work. It links to here with the )/. http://www.miopencarry.org)/

Just a FYI.

Post imported post

hey geraldet my name is josh i live like i think 5 mins from there only oced once but i would be willing to bring some stuff and do anything i can to help

Post imported post

xforce6 wrote:
    hey geraldet my name is josh i live like i think 5 mins from there only oced once but i would be willing to bring some stuff and do anything i can to help
    Hi Josh, welcome to the group! Really the best thing that you can bring would be people, the more the merrier. Talk to a few friends or family members that might be interested in coming out. If you would like to bring some items, paper plates and napkins would be great.

Glad to see another resident from Oxford on here. I would suggest to read all you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. This is the best place to start http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

Post imported post

I feel like a tool, Gary here beat me to posting this on MGO, sorry John, but he read it in the Leader and posted over there!

I just read in the Oxford Leader that Jon Roshak of Oxford will be holding an OC picnic at the Seymour Lake Parks in Oxford on 8/2/09 @ 1:00 pm. All OC, concealed carry, and non-carrying people are invited to attend. Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided free, but attendies are welcomed to bring a dish.

The paper reports that Jon is a member of Michigan Open Carry so I would guess that more info could be found there. Since I don't have 10 posts, I can not add that link to my post, but I'm sure most members could add a .com to miopencarry and find it there.

Gary
    AWESOME!

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    I feel like a tool, Gary here beat me to posting this on MGO, sorry John, but he read it in the Leader and posted over there!

I just read in the Oxford Leader that Jon Roshak of Oxford will be holding an OC picnic at the Seymour Lake Parks in Oxford on 8/2/09 @ 1:00 pm. All OC, concealed carry, and non-carrying people are invited to attend. Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided free, but attendies are welcomed to bring a dish.

The paper reports that Jon is a member of Michigan Open Carry so I would guess that more info could be found there. Since I don't have 10 posts, I can not add that link to my post, but I'm sure most members could add a .com to miopencarry and find it there.

Gary
    AWESOME!
    Hey that's great news!
    I hope that I didn't give the impression that it's a buffet! lol:what: Everyone please feel free to bring you own pop etc. lol

I'm glad to hear that it's getting around. I went to Meijer today here in Oxford and went up to the U scan lane and on top of the checkout was a stack of Oxford leaders and right there staring you in the face was "Pistol Packing Picnic to Promote Open Carry Right". It was great! :celebrate

Post imported post

I have been lurking and learning from this site for some time now. This is enough to bring me out. I live in Lapeer and WILL be there, take it to the bank.

Derrek

Post imported post

Dmo8361 wrote:
    I have been lurking and learning from this site for some time now. This is enough to bring me out. I live in Lapeer and WILL be there, take it to the bank.

Derrek
    Welcome Derrek! If you don't mind, the city, state thing in your profile, please. Also, looking forward to meeting you on the 2nd!

Post imported post

Fixed it. My apologies. Lapeer, MI

Post imported post

Welcome Derrek! Glad to hear your coming out on the 2nd. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

If you haven't checked it out already this is a great place to start
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

See you on the 2nd!

Post imported post

TTT

Post imported post

This letter was in the Oxford leader today. Feel free to discuss.

Opinions
    Letter to Editor
    Pistol picnic garners opposition

Extras

July 22, 2009 - To Mr. John Roshek, organizer of the Aug. 2 Open Carry Picnic at Seymour Lake Park,

I cannot pretend I was not shocked when I read there was to be picnic at a public park and people were encouraged to bring their guns.

I do realize that many people who carry guns are good responsible people. I also realize that many are not.

How do you plan to have "only" the responsible people attend?

I did not see anything in the article about checking for legal license's to carry these guns. Is someone there checking licence's ?

Why is it necessary to hold this event at a park where unsuspecting families could show up with their children for a picnic.

I am sure not everyone would like their children to go to a park and see a bunch of people walking around carrying guns. Parents of teenagers have enough issues in everyday life without adding one more and a dangerous one at that.

You realize teenagers will be drawn to this event without their parents permission. This should be a parents personal decision when, how and if their children will be introduced to guns.

How do you plan to handle the young children watching you who probably think you are just "so cool" because you have a gun.

The younger children are not mature enough to realize the seriousness of this whole situation. When you hold something like this in a public place where children gather it is no longer able to be a responsible adult event.

I think educating people about guns is a good idea. Attempting this at a public place where most likely there will be "children of all ages "is not a fair nor responsible adult/parental decision. Hold this in an enclosed facility and open it to whoever would like to come. Better yet have it in one of your back yards. You could accomplish the same thing and possibly attract more people. This gives people the option to attend.

Please take into consideration the people who have a tragedy in their lives involving a gun. Let me give you a few examples. My friends father was hunting with his teenaged son when his bullet ricocheted, hit his son and killed him. My neighbor was held at gun point before falling to the ground, thankfully the man was subdued, someone in my own family died from a gun accident. Yes it would be helpful if all these people could learn that guns are not bad, but holding something like this out in the open "just because you can" is showing so little empathy for those who are still suffering. If you truly want to help people, hold some free classes for people to come to talk with you, listen to why they feel the way they do. Have a list of places they can go to take classes and learn about safety.

I believe the unsavory people who carry guns (and there are some) would be less likely to come to an event like this if it were in a contained building than if it were at a park.

You said in your article, and I quote, "I'm not looking to make any political statements, nothing of that sort. I am not looking to gain attention or cause panic. Its really about being able to protect myself and my family. I don't consider myself a paranoid person. I have just lived long enough to know what the world is like."

I'm not looking to make any political statements, nothing of that sort. Your first statement was to inform people that they don't necessarily have to have a concealed pistol license to protect themselves. You also wanted people to know that they did not have to follow any rules that stated no guns allowed in public parks. Responsible gun owners already knew this, now everyone knows it. Not a good plan.

You are not out to gain attention or cause panic. What did you think this would do for every parent taking their young children to Seymour Lake park, make them feel safe that a bunch of people they do not know are going to be there carrying guns? I can tell you first hand you have gained a lot of negative attention and caused much panic in time when people are already stressed and struggling with the worries from our failing economy. No one needed this nor do they deserve it.

Its really about you being able to protect yourself and your family. If that is true why are you involving people who do not want to be involved. Protect your family however you choose and let others choose their own methods. If you have lived long enough to know what the world is like then you must know that not all people are responsible gun owners. You cannot guarantee that you will not attract a few "closet crazies" who wouldn't chance coming to a public park alone, but would feel much safer in a group. It may even gain them some confidence so they will come back alone. Now that is a great thought, they can walk around the park and our children with their guns making us all feel so much safer.

I am certainly hoping you will reconsider this whole idea. We moved to Oxford because we felt it was a nice "home" community. People care about one another. They take into consideration how their actions affect their friends and neighbors. Caring about one another means respecting others opinions and fears. If you really want to be fair about this? Vote on whether to have it.

Dan & Susy Krans

Oxford residents

.lpcbstyle {font-family: "trebuchet ms", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, "Arial Black", Impact, Copperplate, sans-serif; font-weight: Bold;font-size: 9; color: Gray; } .lpcbstyle A {color: Black; text-decoration: none;} .lpcbstyle A:Link {color: Black; text-decoration: none;} .lpcbstyle A:Visited {color: Black; text-decoration: none;} .lpcbstyle A:Hover {color: Red; text-decoration: none;}
    Print

Email Link

Feedback
    Digg

Del.icio.us

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast