• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oxford picnic

FatboyCykes

imported post

Dmo8361 wrote:
I have been lurking and learning from this site for some time now. This is enough to bring me out. I live in Lapeer and WILL be there, take it to the bank.

Derrek
Welcome Derrek! If you don't mind, the city, state thing in your profile, please. Also, looking forward to meeting you on the 2nd!

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

This letter was in the Oxford leader today. Feel free to discuss.

Opinions
Letter to Editor
Pistol picnic garners opposition

Whitetrc.gif

Whitellc.gif

Whitelrc.gif

Extras

Whitetrc.gif

Whitellc.gif

Whitelrc.gif

July 22, 2009 - To Mr. John Roshek, organizer of the Aug. 2 Open Carry Picnic at Seymour Lake Park,

I cannot pretend I was not shocked when I read there was to be picnic at a public park and people were encouraged to bring their guns.

I do realize that many people who carry guns are good responsible people. I also realize that many are not.

How do you plan to have "only" the responsible people attend?

I did not see anything in the article about checking for legal license's to carry these guns. Is someone there checking licence's ?

Why is it necessary to hold this event at a park where unsuspecting families could show up with their children for a picnic.

I am sure not everyone would like their children to go to a park and see a bunch of people walking around carrying guns. Parents of teenagers have enough issues in everyday life without adding one more and a dangerous one at that.

You realize teenagers will be drawn to this event without their parents permission. This should be a parents personal decision when, how and if their children will be introduced to guns.

How do you plan to handle the young children watching you who probably think you are just "so cool" because you have a gun.

The younger children are not mature enough to realize the seriousness of this whole situation. When you hold something like this in a public place where children gather it is no longer able to be a responsible adult event.

I think educating people about guns is a good idea. Attempting this at a public place where most likely there will be "children of all ages "is not a fair nor responsible adult/parental decision. Hold this in an enclosed facility and open it to whoever would like to come. Better yet have it in one of your back yards. You could accomplish the same thing and possibly attract more people. This gives people the option to attend.

Please take into consideration the people who have a tragedy in their lives involving a gun. Let me give you a few examples. My friends father was hunting with his teenaged son when his bullet ricocheted, hit his son and killed him. My neighbor was held at gun point before falling to the ground, thankfully the man was subdued, someone in my own family died from a gun accident. Yes it would be helpful if all these people could learn that guns are not bad, but holding something like this out in the open "just because you can" is showing so little empathy for those who are still suffering. If you truly want to help people, hold some free classes for people to come to talk with you, listen to why they feel the way they do. Have a list of places they can go to take classes and learn about safety.

I believe the unsavory people who carry guns (and there are some) would be less likely to come to an event like this if it were in a contained building than if it were at a park.

You said in your article, and I quote, "I'm not looking to make any political statements, nothing of that sort. I am not looking to gain attention or cause panic. Its really about being able to protect myself and my family. I don't consider myself a paranoid person. I have just lived long enough to know what the world is like."

I'm not looking to make any political statements, nothing of that sort. Your first statement was to inform people that they don't necessarily have to have a concealed pistol license to protect themselves. You also wanted people to know that they did not have to follow any rules that stated no guns allowed in public parks. Responsible gun owners already knew this, now everyone knows it. Not a good plan.

You are not out to gain attention or cause panic. What did you think this would do for every parent taking their young children to Seymour Lake park, make them feel safe that a bunch of people they do not know are going to be there carrying guns? I can tell you first hand you have gained a lot of negative attention and caused much panic in time when people are already stressed and struggling with the worries from our failing economy. No one needed this nor do they deserve it.

Its really about you being able to protect yourself and your family. If that is true why are you involving people who do not want to be involved. Protect your family however you choose and let others choose their own methods. If you have lived long enough to know what the world is like then you must know that not all people are responsible gun owners. You cannot guarantee that you will not attract a few "closet crazies" who wouldn't chance coming to a public park alone, but would feel much safer in a group. It may even gain them some confidence so they will come back alone. Now that is a great thought, they can walk around the park and our children with their guns making us all feel so much safer.

I am certainly hoping you will reconsider this whole idea. We moved to Oxford because we felt it was a nice "home" community. People care about one another. They take into consideration how their actions affect their friends and neighbors. Caring about one another means respecting others opinions and fears. If you really want to be fair about this? Vote on whether to have it.

Dan & Susy Krans

Oxford residents

.lpcbstyle {font-family: "trebuchet ms", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, "Arial Black", Impact, Copperplate, sans-serif; font-weight: Bold;font-size: 9; color: Gray; } .lpcbstyle A {color: Black; text-decoration: none;} .lpcbstyle A:Link {color: Black; text-decoration: none;} .lpcbstyle A:Visited {color: Black; text-decoration: none;} .lpcbstyle A:Hover {color: Red; text-decoration: none;}
Print

Email Link

LPSIconBlogOff.gif

Feedback
Digg

Del.icio.us

Generaldet

imported post

And this one

July 22, 2009 - I live in Metamora. I like going to the Oxford parks because they are a fun place to go with my friends and their children who live in Oxford.

This gun picnic on August 2 is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of !

What is this group trying to gain? Why are they organizing a picnic where they are asking the attendees to wear their side arms in a public place?

Someone has waaay too much time on their hands to organize a family style picnic like this.

The public parks belong to the taxpayers. If taxpayers and their children can not use the Oxford parks without seeing people wearing guns ... something is definitely wrong!

You can bet that my family and friends will get the heads up about this gun picnic.

As parents and grandparents they will be glad to get this information.

They need to know that their children could very well see people walking around carrying guns when they visit an Oxford area park.

I seriously don't believe this.

Donna Redmon

Metamora

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Good God what a bunch of whinny babies. What about the children???? Oh dear the children.

We have a constitutional right to be armed, there is no right that allows people to be stupid or ignorant.

Dmo8361

imported post

I do realize that many people who carry guns are good responsible people. I also realize that many are not.
So do I. That's why I choose to be armed at all times.
Why is it necessary to hold this event at a park where unsuspecting families could show up with their children for a picnic.
To educate the "unsuspecting families" if they are so inclined. Where are they supposed to go for info?
I am sure not everyone would like their children to go to a park and see a bunch of people walking around carrying guns. Parents of teenagers have enough issues in everyday life without adding one more and a dangerous one at that.
That is for them to decide on an individual basis, nobody is being forced to go. Practice good parenting and not public bashing of law abiding citizens
How do you plan to handle the young children watching you who probably think you are just "so cool" because you have a gun.
It is cool. It's cool that we live somewhere that still allows the freedom to protect yourself. A freedom that was provided by men with guns.
I think educating people about guns is a good idea. Attempting this at a public place where most likely there will be "children of all ages "is not a fair nor responsible adult/parental decision. Hold this in an enclosed facility and open it to whoever would like to come. Better yet have it in one of your back yards. You could accomplish the same thing and possibly attract more people. This gives people the option to attend.
This is what's been happening for years. It is time to get the word out. If someone that I had never seen before approached me, invited me to thier house for food, and a discussion about guns, I think I would decline.
I am certainly hoping you will reconsider this whole idea. We moved to Oxford because we felt it was a nice "home" community. People care about one another. They take into consideration how their actions affect their friends and neighbors. Caring about one another means respecting others opinions and fears. If you really want to be fair about this? Vote on whether to have it.
People do care about one another. That's the idea. If my actions affect my friends and neighbors, good. My neighbor may be plotting an attack on my 7yr old daughter right now. There was a vote on these laws long ago by people that were voted into thier position to pass laws. In a sense, you already voted. I didn't vote for B-Rock but I have to live by his laws.
What is this group trying to gain? Why are they organizing a picnic where they are asking the attendees to wear their side arms in a public place?
Contrary to poular belief, we are here to make people aware that they don't need to be ashamed or embarassed for the ability to protect themselves and loved ones. To make people understand that guns aren't the enemy, but the criminal with the guns are. Show me your last editorial about stricter sentances for violent criminals. Tell me how many sex offenders live within a ten mile radius of your home right now. You can keep your head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong and nothing could ever happen to me if you like, I prefer to ENSURE that nothing bad will happen to me through proper education, training, and the proper tools.
The public parks belong to the taxpayers. If taxpayers and their children can not use the Oxford parks without seeing people wearing guns ... something is definitely wrong!
I didn't get the memo that said we as gun owners didn't have to pay taxes. This is good news, price of guns and ammo keep going up. You absolutely have the right to bring your children to the park that day. I encourage it. Look me up, perhaps our kids can play while you and I have a talk.

You can bet that my family and friends will get the heads up about this gun picnic.
Thank you for helping us spread the word. We start at 1PM
They need to know that their children could very well see people walking around carrying guns when they visit an Oxford area park.
I hope they do. Then I hope that they explain thatthere are more good guys carrying guns than bad guys.

Did I forget anything?

PDinDetroit

imported post

There are so many "straw-man arguments" in Dan & Susy Krans email that it would take too long to answer them all, even if the answers would matter to them at all.

I believe that the correct response is that this event is raising awareness as it was designed to, whether you like or agree with it is not relevant.

What some people do not seem to understand is that there are not "safe zones" where accidents/injuries/death/crime/etc do not occur (like parks). These are only in their own mind. I would have believed that 9/11 would have woke some up, but I seem to be proven wrong time and again.

This is the product of the PC Propaganda: people who believe their rights are being infringed upon when others are exercising their rights, rights they do not agree with in some way, shape, or form. In reality, they just don't like the idea and being "offended" by it, they work to make it seem illegal or out of the mainstream. The tip-off here was the line "it is not fair". Life is not fair and seldom will be (fair is found nowhere in my Bible or the US Constitution as a RIGHT).

Dan & Susy Krans, no offense is intended and any taken is your own choice. I affirm your right to choose and express yourself as you see fit.

Generaldet

imported post

We have city council member getting into drunken bar fights, drinking and driving, embarrassing the themselves and the city and this is what the big concern is?? I guess we have really become desensitized to this type of behavior.

The ironic thing about it is that people are so quick to exercise their right to freedom of speech against guns forgetting that it was the right to bear arms that gives them the right to write the press and have their freedom of speech.

Anyway that's all I am going to say regarding this. I appreciate, and respect their thoughts. However, this does not warrant a response.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Well stated, and I agree. They rely so heavily on emotions, that you have to be one of them to even take this stuff remotely seriously. When are people going to learn, kids love guns, they run around with sticks or even fingers shooting at w/e! The absolute best thing you can do is educate them early and often, not try to shield and hide them from it.

/sigh

Michigander

imported post

Going by what I see these days, it seems that for the most part, people fall into 2 categories, either gun owners, or educated enough not to be anti gun. The loud mouth anti's are the exception, not the rule. This can be largely attributed to the free distribution of information via the internet.

But it's still important to reach out to the anti gun people that will listen. If possible, I think Donna Dan and Suzy should be invited to come to the picnic. If it can be arranged, it's important for people who are uncomfortable with open carrying to find out that open carriers are among the most law abiding, cordial, and polite folks you can find anywhere. It is crucial to the long term success of gun rights for anti's to come to realize that gun owners are good people, and we're in a position to do that more effectively than anyone.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Going by what I see these days, it seems that for the most part, people fall into 2 categories, either gun owners, or educated enough not to be anti gun. The loud mouth anti's are the exception, not the rule. This can be largely attributed to the free distribution of information via the internet.

But it's still important to reach out to the anti gun people that will listen. If possible, I think Donna Dan and Suzy should be invited to come to the picnic. If it can be arranged, it's important for people who are uncomfortable with open carrying to find out that open carriers are among the most law abiding, cordial, and polite folks you can find anywhere. It is crucial to the long term success of gun rights for anti's to come to realize that gun owners are good people, and we're in a position to do that more effectively than anyone.
Should be simple, Dan and Suzy live about 1/2 mile from the park and their phone number is publicly listed.

Generaldet

imported post

Michigander wrote:

I agree with you, that they should be invited. The original article stated that" everyone was welcome to join, whether they were for it or against it."
All were welcome to attend. I hope that they do come. I also hope that there will be a good follow up article after the picnic to show that everything went well.

MrsRuger45

imported post

If they were ever in a situation where their lives were being threatened, I bet Dan & Suzy would be the first people to look at someone who is OCing & say, "aren't you going to help me?". I'm just sitting hear shaking my head reading these letters.

You bet we'll be at the picnic. Please put us down for bringing:

condiments
snacks
games (some, anyone please feel free to bring more!)
camera

and of course.........our guns! :cool:

cabman1

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I feel like a tool, Gary here beat me to posting this on MGO, sorry John, but he read it in the Leader and posted over there!

I just read in the Oxford Leader that Jon Roshak of Oxford will be holding an OC picnic at the Seymour Lake Parks in Oxford on 8/2/09 @ 1:00 pm. All OC, concealed carry, and non-carrying people are invited to attend. Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided free, but attendies are welcomed to bring a dish.

The paper reports that Jon is a member of Michigan Open Carry so I would guess that more info could be found there. Since I don't have 10 posts, I can not add that link to my post, but I'm sure most members could add a .com to miopencarry and find it there.

Gary
AWESOME!

they would have to put .org after the opencarry

FatboyCykes

imported post

Meh, it's MGO, most people know of MOC at this point, I'll reread the thread and see if a correction is needed, pretty sure there is a direct link or two now though. Thanks Cabman.

Generaldet

imported post

I spoke with Mike from Hunts with Double Indoor shooting range, yesterday regarding the picnic. He will be in attendance to help support open carry and to share some information regarding his facility.

I met with him today to drop off some information and got the tour of the range. I have to admit they have a very nice range. You can check out the website and Mike will be available on Sunday to answer any questions.

http://www.huntswithdouble.com/

Can we add this to the list of businesses that welcomes lawful open carry please.