• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oxford picnic

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Where: Seymour Lake Park 2795 Seymour Lake rd. Oxford, MI 48371

When: Sunday August 2nd, 2009 1pm- until whenever

I would like to invite all of you and your friends and family to Seymour Lake Park for a picnic. This is truly a great park with TONS of stuff to do.

Here is a link to the park website http://www.oxparkrec.org/seymour.htm

Hope to see you all there!

Generaldet

imported post

I have been trying to work with the Oxford board members to try and get their unlawful firearm ordinance changed. So far I haven't had much luck with them getting back to me about this. All the more reason to have a great turn out for the picnic!

I plan on going to the board meeting tomorrow night, and I also invited them to the picnic on the 2nd. Below is the progress so far.

Dear Oxford Township officials, Oxford police department,

While researching the Code of Ordinances for the Township of Oxford, I came across local ordinance
[/b]
Sec. 34-40[/b]. Firearms and other weapons, explosives and dangerous substances.
No person shall have in his possession or control any rifle, shotgun, pistol or other firearm, slingshot, pellet gun, air rifle, explosives or other dangerous substances within any park.
(Ord. No. 56, § 9, 5-13-1981)
Cross references: Weapons, § 30-241 et seq.

Sec. 30-242[/b]. Possession of firearms, other weapons or traps.
(b) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license while at or going to and from a recognized rifle or target range, or trap or skeet shooting ground, if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

Under the 1990 state preemption law (MCL 123.1102, outlined in brief below), this ordinance is unenforceable in regard to firearm possession and transport. Furthermore, the existence of this ordinance, being in conflict with the law of the State of Michigan, is misleading to the people of Oxford Twp. and other citizens who may visit the City.

As an Oxford resident, I am requesting this ordinance be amended within 90 days to comply with MCL 123.1102. Failure to amend this ordinance could be considered an act of malfeasance as it willfully misinforms the public of what is and is not allowed in the parks of Oxford Twp. I look forward to your resolution and response when this ordinance is amended.

Thank you,
signed me

Michigan Legislature FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990
123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(3uzohtmics2b4u45avhaptfn))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:46 AM
To: Curtis Wright
Subject: follow up

[size=][/size]
Mr. Wright,
[size=][/size]
My name is I sent you an email on 6/5/09 regarding amending an unlawful and unenforceable local ordinance in Oxford twp. regarding firearms in parks. I have not heard back from you regarding this issue as of yet. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
[size=][/size]
Thank you,
signed me

From: Wright, Curtis To: me Cc: Bill Dunn Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:45 AM Subject: RE: follow up
Dear Mr.

Your request in regard to the ordinance referencing firearms in our parks is being reviewed. I apologize for not responding earlier.

Thank you,
Curtis W. Wright, Clerk
Charter Township of Oxford

To: Wright, Curtis Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:54 PM Subject: Re: follow up
Mr. Wright Thank you for following up with me. I look forward to hearing from you when your review is completed. Sincerely,
me

SENT JULY 7th
Mr. Wright, I just wanted to touch base with you regarding our prior conversation. Have you made any progress in your review of the local firearm ordinances? Also, I wanted to take this time to extend an invite to all of the board members for an open carry picnic that we will be having at Seymour Lake Park on Sunday August 2nd at 1pm. I will try to stop by for the meeting tomorrow night and perhaps we can discuss this further. Thank you for your time, and I hope to see you at the picnic. Sincerely,
me

Generaldet

imported post

Update 6/7/09 No mention on if they plan on attending though.

Dear Mr.
Oxford Township has forwarded this issue regarding firearms to legal counsel for review. Once this review is completed Oxford Township will be in a position to make any necessary changes to our ordinance regarding firearms in our parks. That is our progress to date.
Thank you,
Curtis W. Wright, Clerk
Charter Township of Oxford

Generaldet

imported post

I was contacted by the editor of the Oxford leader (our local paper) today for an interview regarding the picnic. I asked him if he learned about it from the website and he stated that one of the board members told him about it.

I felt it went very well, he was nice and seemed open to the idea of OC. I'm looking forward to reading the article. I'll post it as soon as it comes out. I provided him with a couple of the handouts and directed him towards the web site.

Lets try and get a good turn out!

Generaldet

imported post

The articles in the Oxford Leader came out yesterday. I think they came out great, and there wasn't just one article but three! Thank you to the paper and the editor for the support. :celebrate

About the picnic
http://www.oxfordleader.com/Article...cking_picnic_to_promote_open_carry_right.html

About the ordinances
http://www.oxfordleader.com/Article...dinances_on_gun_possession_unenforceable.html

Editor opinion on the picnic
http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles-i-2009-07-15-230333.113121_My_Way.html

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Generaldet wrote:
The articles in the Oxford Leader came out yesterday. I think they came out great, and there wasn't just one article but three! Thank you to the paper and the editor for the support. :celebrate

About the picnic
http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles-i-2009-07-15-230321.113121_Pistolpacking_picnic_to_promote_open_carry_right.html

About the ordinances
http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles-i-2009-07-15-230319.113121_Ordinances_on_gun_possession_unenforceable.html

What a great article and very well done. Your quotes and the interview were spot on. Very well done John. We need a Regional Coordinator for the SE...I see a good candidate!

I posted the articles on the news thread.

Generaldet

imported post

Thanks Brian, I appreciate that. Hopefully we will good a good tun out of local citizens. It's important to have a good turn out of our members at these picnics to show support, but I think it's even more important to get a good turn out of locals who do not currently know anything about it. I hope this helps.

KEN KD, I hope to see you at the picnic. If you live near the park then you are not that far from me either. Let me know if you ever want to grab lunch or something, it's always good to network with people in your area. Welcome to the group.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Generaldet wrote:

About the picnic
http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles-i-2009-07-15-230321.113121_Pistolpacking_picnic_to_promote_open_carry_right.html

About the ordinances
http://www.oxfordleader.com/Articles-i-2009-07-15-230319.113121_Ordinances_on_gun_possession_unenforceable.html

Lookit this big shot!

Well done John, well done sir! Was there anything in the Leader that day that didn't involve the picinic? :D

xforce6

imported post

hey geraldet my name is josh i live like i think 5 mins from there only oced once but i would be willing to bring some stuff and do anything i can to help

Generaldet

imported post

xforce6 wrote:
hey geraldet my name is josh i live like i think 5 mins from there only oced once but i would be willing to bring some stuff and do anything i can to help

Hi Josh, welcome to the group! Really the best thing that you can bring would be people, the more the merrier. Talk to a few friends or family members that might be interested in coming out. If you would like to bring some items, paper plates and napkins would be great.

Glad to see another resident from Oxford on here. I would suggest to read all you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. This is the best place to start http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

FatboyCykes

imported post

I feel like a tool, Gary here beat me to posting this on MGO, sorry John, but he read it in the Leader and posted over there!

I just read in the Oxford Leader that Jon Roshak of Oxford will be holding an OC picnic at the Seymour Lake Parks in Oxford on 8/2/09 @ 1:00 pm. All OC, concealed carry, and non-carrying people are invited to attend. Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided free, but attendies are welcomed to bring a dish.

The paper reports that Jon is a member of Michigan Open Carry so I would guess that more info could be found there. Since I don't have 10 posts, I can not add that link to my post, but I'm sure most members could add a .com to miopencarry and find it there.

Gary
AWESOME!

Generaldet

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I feel like a tool, Gary here beat me to posting this on MGO, sorry John, but he read it in the Leader and posted over there!

I just read in the Oxford Leader that Jon Roshak of Oxford will be holding an OC picnic at the Seymour Lake Parks in Oxford on 8/2/09 @ 1:00 pm. All OC, concealed carry, and non-carrying people are invited to attend. Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided free, but attendies are welcomed to bring a dish.

The paper reports that Jon is a member of Michigan Open Carry so I would guess that more info could be found there. Since I don't have 10 posts, I can not add that link to my post, but I'm sure most members could add a .com to miopencarry and find it there.

Gary
AWESOME!
Hey that's great news!
I hope that I didn't give the impression that it's a buffet! lol:what: Everyone please feel free to bring you own pop etc. lol

I'm glad to hear that it's getting around. I went to Meijer today here in Oxford and went up to the U scan lane and on top of the checkout was a stack of Oxford leaders and right there staring you in the face was "Pistol Packing Picnic to Promote Open Carry Right". It was great! :celebrate

Dmo8361

imported post

I have been lurking and learning from this site for some time now. This is enough to bring me out. I live in Lapeer and WILL be there, take it to the bank.

Derrek