• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I Buy a First Handgun Based on Ammo Availability?

kwiebe

imported post

I had been looking at 45 ACP caliber, but I'm worried I would never get to shoot it, due to the ammo problem. Should I buy 9 MM instead?

I know there are many other considerations, but I'm also a realist. How much should the ammo situation weigh in?

Legba

imported post

I wouldn't get anything too exotic like a 9mm Largo, say, but I'm pretty sure that both regular 9mm and .45ACP guns and ammo will be around for a long time. The ammo hoarding will let up eventually.

-ljp

reconvic

imported post

If you want a good opinion try a few pistols out and the one you shoot the best with buy. Ammo should not be as much a concern as being able to stop your
perp with the least shots fired. I hope this helped.
S/F Vic

TehGruu

imported post

reconvic wrote:
If you want a good opinion try a few pistols out and the one you shoot the best with buy. Ammo should not be as much a concern as being able to stop your
perp with the least shots fired. I hope this helped.
S/F Vic

What he said. If you want my opinion, get the good old forty-five. Andbe sure to at least check outa 1911. Chances are, you'll want one eventually anyway. Plastics are cool and have their place too. I used to be all about Glocks and XDs(they were called HS 2000 back in '01) though even back then, I used to drool over the Colts. Just something about them, however, price kept them out of my hands. I owned a few Glocks and an HS. I also had an HK and Beretta's first polymer gun, I think it was called a 9000S. I started getting them when I was 21. I got my first 1911 when I got divorced at 24. It was a Kimber, it had it's problems, but was over all a good gun. I ended up selling all of my guns at one point due to finances because of the divorce. Of thetactical tupperware, the only one I miss is the HK.

The only plastic gun I have now is a Sig Pro 2022, and it's a good shooter. I wouldn't get rid of it. Now I'm 29, and having aquired a couple of 1911s, I have a better appreciation of Mr. Browing's design. The first I got recently was a High Standard Crusader compact. A cheapie, but solid and reliable as a carry gun. For the most recent I finally broke down and got a Colt. I must say, I am impressed, like really impressed. Just something about it. The barrel is probably of the highest quality of any firearm I have ever owned.

Oh wow, I totally went on about the 1911 like one of "those guys". :uhoh: Just get what feels best for you, is in your price range, and like previously mentioned, is in the caliber YOU want. Don't let something as trivial as the CURRENT availability of ammunition turn you away from what you want. After all, it's YOUR gun.

-Gruu

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Legba wrote:
I wouldn't get anything too exotic like a 9mm Largo, say, but I'm pretty sure that both regular 9mm and .45ACP guns and ammo will be around for a long time.  The ammo hoarding will let up eventually.

-ljp
This. Buy a .45, and you haven't compromised utility for availability.

w5wjp

imported post

Get the 45.....then buddy up with someone who has a Dillon 550 and help him stress test it...

Michigander

imported post

NEVER get a gun for ammo availability unless it's a .22. Luckily for you, most common semi auto 45's have .22 lr kits available. With a .22 kit, and a decent and cheap Lee reloading kit, ammo wouldn't be a problem for you.

Reloading and a .22 kit is what I'd suggest, regardless of what caliber you opt to purchase.

Sampson104

imported post

I am as new as a newborn in the pistol world and have the same thought, I just bought a S&W 9mm... Great price and condition with a few boxes of ammo too so I'm going to learn and get comfy with it before looking for some stopping power. Anyone have any advice on online sites for finding used gun "things" holsters, sites, apparell, cases etc?

Thanks!!!

usdm419

imported post

Sampson104 wrote:
I am as new as a newborn in the pistol world and have the same thought, I just bought a S&W 9mm... Great price and condition with a few boxes of ammo too so I'm going to learn and get comfy with it before looking for some stopping power. Anyone have any advice on online sites for finding used gun "things" holsters, sites, apparell, cases etc?

Thanks!!!
IMO, and its argued all the time.......your 9mm has plenty of power for self defense.
Then again I own both a 9mm and a .45

Ironbar

imported post

I wasn't concerned with ammo availabilty when I went shopping for my carry weapon. Get what fits you the best. The ammo will sort itself out.

gb8106

imported post

If your looking to just plink around ide say a 9mm. If your looking for something to carry I would suggest the .45 acp. In you case if the 9mm ammo is readily avail I would say go w the 9mm that way you can enjoy shooting the handgun, its a little cheaper ammo,at leaisure and not have to worry about trying to find ammo for future practice

markand

imported post

The practical reality is, if you can't get ammo, you can't shoot. Not to practice. Not for defense. The shortage seems to be abating and ammo web sites I check on periodically now have some ammo available in common calibers (9 mm, .40, .357 SIG and .45) when they had none at all a month or two ago.

Again, if you're buying a gun today, the practical reality is ammo availability must be at least a factor in the decision to obtain that defensive handgun. I wouldn't buy a .380, for example. I already have one I can't get ammo for.

I do have a back up plan that includes additional barrels for the carry gun. I normally carry a SIG P229 in .357SIG. That caliber is also one that is still a bit on the rare side. I have about a hundred or so hollow point rounds left for self defense, but at this point, I have no FMJ for practice. When I go to the range, I drop in a .40 S & W barrel as I have lots of .40 FMJ, as well as a supply of .40 JHP, if it's needed. If the .40 gets scarce, I can drop in a 9mm barrel and fire away with a good supply of 9mm FMJ and JHP. And if things are bad enough that I can't get 9mm, I guess I'll have to use the gun as a club.

Wouldn't hurt to consider a gun that has some ammo flexibility with the addition of multiple barrels.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I got to say the Springfield XD-m in .40, you have the ability to use "Drop-in" barrels to change it to .357 Sig and use the same magazine that camewith the.40 gun

if you want to shoot 9mm through it, get that barrel and some 9mm mags and it will shoot those too.

The only ammo I am seeing at wal-mart in handgun caliber is .357 Sig. I have not seen any others for 6 months now. I can still getall my other calibersat a gun specific shop, but 2 boxes per customer limit.

So, depending on ammo availability you have 3 diferent calibers you can shoot through the same gun depending on what barrel you put in it, and a few spare mags if you want to fire 9mm too.

Chaingun81

imported post

usdm419 wrote:
Sampson104 wrote:

Thanks!!!
IMO, and its argued all the time.......your 9mm has plenty of power for self defense.
Then again I own both a 9mm and a .45
Same