Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Starbucks

  1. #1
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Met my cousin/business partner at starbucks and while he was getting his coffee I went to look for a table.

    Elderly man: "Hey!" Me: "Yes?" HIm: "Pull your shirt over your gun" Me: "No"

    Him: "Yes, now" , His daughter who was elderly too I originally thought was his wife:"Daaaad....shut up you don't know who he is" Him " I don't care, cover your gun" Me: " No, its perfectly legal in the state of Washington." Meanwhile this other customer rolls his eyes and chuckles at the other guy.

    My cousin turns around being partially deaf from fightin in Iraq: "Whats going on"

    His daughter:" He doesn't like his gun" My cousin " Oh well, thats the law , too bad"

    Girls behind the counter now laughing at the old guy.

    He says real loud " I don't like guns and people who own them!" at this point I shrug and say " well thats too bad" and decided to ignore him. He left shortly after and not in a good mood. I found the whole thing pretty amusing. I feel he was trying to rile up and was very upset when I remained a calm and contained individual, thus destroying his stereo type of people with guns.


    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gig Harbor, Washington, USA
    Posts
    286

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Met my cousin/business partner at starbucks and while he was getting his coffee I went to look for a table.

    Elderly man: "Hey!" Me: "Yes?" HIm: "Pull your shirt over your gun" Me: "No"

    Him: "Yes, now" , His daughter who was elderly too I originally thought was his wife:"Daaaad....shut up you don't know who he is" Him " I don't care, cover your gun" Me: " No, its perfectly legal in the state of Washington." Meanwhile this other customer rolls his eyes and chuckles at the other guy.

    My cousin turns around being partially deaf from fightin in Iraq: "Whats going on"

    His daughter:" He doesn't like his gun" My cousin " Oh well, thats the law , too bad"

    Girls behind the counter now laughing at the old guy.

    He says real loud " I don't like guns and people who own them!" at this point I shrug and say " well thats too bad" and decided to ignore him. He left shortly after and not in a good mood. I found the whole thing pretty amusing. I feel he was trying to rile up and was very upset when I remained a calm and contained individual, thus destroying his stereo type of people with guns.

    Some people are antagonistic just for the hell of it, and I'll never understand why. You did well not getting riled up, but I think you may have missed an opportunity for education. By simply saying 'No', the old guy most likely walked away with the same view of guns and gun owners. Maybe a pamphlet would have helped.

    Granted there are some folks out there that no matter what you try, just aren't willing to listen. This guy kind of sounds like one too, but it doesn't hurt to try. Anyways, hope you and you're cousin were able to finish your coffee in peace.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

  3. #3
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    Wow.....I still can't fathom how people get such nasty looks and comments. I've never had such an experience in all the time I've been carrying. Good job, that old geezer looks like the jerk and you come out of it looking like a responsible adult that has betterthings to do than throw a tempertantrum.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    103

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    He says real loud " I don't like guns and people who own them- I prefer to be a professional victim!"
    Fixed that error for you
    "There is NO timer in a gunfight, but there IS another guy with a gun, and he's probably in a hurry!"- from someone who bothered to go and check

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Was he wearing a "Hope" shirt? :P

  6. #6
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Was he wearing a "Hope" shirt? :P
    That just gave me an idea... we need to get us some hope shirts and wear them when we go out sometimes.... just to tweak the minds of the hapless minions.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Was he wearing a "Hope" shirt? :P
    That just gave me an idea... we need to get us some hope shirts and wear them when we go out sometimes.... just to tweak the minds of the hapless minions.
    I'm agreeing with something you said. Someone check to make sure hell hasn't frozen over.:P

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    True story. A lot of times I half-ass conceal, like t-shirt over the grip IWB or something like that. Whatever is more comfortable. I was in the Starbucks here in town and I bent over to pick up my cup sleeve that fell off the counter and one of the girls working said, "I see you carry 2 guns." I was a little taken aback.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Me: May I ask your name or for some ID?
    Him: None of your business. Why do you want to know?
    Me: Well, the only men in my life who I have had standing to order me around like that are my father and my grade school principal. I don't think you are either one but I wanted to make sure before I utterly ignore you and your irrelevant opinion.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  10. #10
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    kenshin wrote:

    Some people are antagonistic just for the hell of it, and I'll never understand why. You did well not getting riled up, but I think you may have missed an opportunity for education. By simply saying 'No', the old guy most likely walked away with the same view of guns and gun owners. Maybe a pamphlet would have helped.

    Granted there are some folks out there that no matter what you try, just aren't willing to listen. This guy kind of sounds like one too, but it doesn't hurt to try. Anyways, hope you and you're cousin were able to finish your coffee in peace.
    I normally take up the opportunity for education but this guy was obviously antagonistic and wasn't going to be interested in having a conversation with me. So I thought it best just to politely tell him no. Let him look like the ranting idiot he proved to be.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taco-Ma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    Just ask them in a calm, collected way if they talk the same way to police officers... after all, they are human beings, too, and there is nothing illegal about the way you are carrying your piece.
    If the subject is an older gentleman, such as the one in this story, you can calmly ask him if he was one of the draft-dodgers that ran away from duty. That should make him look really good in front of his progeny...
    Or you can just calmly ignore the obvious idiot you are being confronted with....
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

  12. #12
    Regular Member DEROS72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SEATAC, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,819

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Met my cousin/business partner at starbucks and while he was getting his coffee I went to look for a table.

    Elderly man: "Hey!" Me: "Yes?" HIm: "Pull your shirt over your gun" Me: "No"

    Him: "Yes, now" , His daughter who was elderly too I originally thought was his wife:"Daaaad....shut up you don't know who he is" Him " I don't care, cover your gun" Me: " No, its perfectly legal in the state of Washington." Meanwhile this other customer rolls his eyes and chuckles at the other guy.

    My cousin turns around being partially deaf from fightin in Iraq: "Whats going on"

    His daughter:" He doesn't like his gun" My cousin " Oh well, thats the law , too bad"

    Girls behind the counter now laughing at the old guy.

    He says real loud " I don't like guns and people who own them!" at this point I shrug and say " well thats too bad" and decided to ignore him. He left shortly after and not in a good mood. I found the whole thing pretty amusing. I feel he was trying to rile up and was very upset when I remained a calm and contained individual, thus destroying his stereo type of people with guns.

    I noticed the same reaction in my recent encounter at a Starbucks.The more you don't react the more upset they get..........WELL DONE!!! You handled that exactly the way you should have..

  13. #13
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    Guess the antis expect the coffee shop to be their "safe haven". Too bad for them that normal people drink coffee too......:P

  14. #14
    Regular Member kwiebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    kenny31 wrote:
    True story. A lot of times I half-ass conceal, like t-shirt over the grip IWB or something like that. Whatever is more comfortable. I was in the Starbucks here in town and I bent over to pick up my cup sleeve that fell off the counter and one of the girls working said, "I see you carry 2 guns." I was a little taken aback.
    That's quite a compliment. Was she coming on to you? What a flirt...:celebrate

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stafford, VA, , Afghanistan
    Posts
    349

    Post imported post

    It's ironic that some people who are anti-gun believe that OCers will start shooting up the place (wherever "the place" is)...yet they will yell, berate, and belittle to force a person open-carrying a gun into some sort of reaction (as described in the OP). I wonder if any of these "heros" will do the same with a real BG waving a gun around?

    Sounds like a Darwin candidate.

  16. #16
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    SIGguy229 wrote:
    It's ironic that some people who are anti-gun believe that OCers will start shooting up the place (wherever "the place" is)...yet they will yell, berate, and belittle to force a person open-carrying a gun into some sort of reaction (as described in the OP). I wonder if any of these "heros" will do the same with a real BG waving a gun around?

    Sounds like a Darwin candidate.
    Exactly why I call "BS" on "You're making people nervous and afraid".....if I REALLY was making them afraid, they wouldn't make a scene and confront me, right? No, I'm just doing something they don't like, and exposing the reality of the world to them, and they don't like being reminded that the world they live in is dangerous and there is nobody looking out for them but them. Really what it boils down to. They are pissed cause you are exposing them for the sheep they really are.

  17. #17
    Regular Member kwiebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, United States
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    SIGguy229 wrote:
    It's ironic that some people who are anti-gun believe that OCers will start shooting up the place (wherever "the place" is)...yet they will yell, berate, and belittle to force a person open-carrying a gun into some sort of reaction (as described in the OP). I wonder if any of these "heros" will do the same with a real BG waving a gun around?

    Sounds like a Darwin candidate.
    Exactly why I call "BS" on "You're making people nervous and afraid".....if I REALLY was making them afraid, they wouldn't make a scene and confront me, right? No, I'm just doing something they don't like, and exposing the reality of the world to them, and they don't like being reminded that the world they live in is dangerous and there is nobody looking out for them but them. Really what it boils down to. They are pissed cause you are exposing them for the sheep they really are.
    I never thought of this angle before, but you two really nailed it. Bingo.

  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    I really got to say Starbucks has always treated me great. Never have had any problems from any of their employees. Once a store sees me a few times, they might ask about it out of curiosity, but it has always been freindly informative conversations.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    Next time just tell the old geezer "don't worry about my gun, the coffee here will probably kill you first".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  20. #20
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Crotchety ole man, is that the word
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  21. #21
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    jbone wrote:
    Crotchety ole man, is that the word
    The funny thing, is I held my tongue but with his last comment I was thinking of saying " I don't like crotchety old men, so we are equal." But I decided that wouldn't be prudent at the time.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  22. #22
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    You young wippersnaper.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •