• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Met my cousin/business partner at starbucks and while he was getting his coffee I went to look for a table.

Elderly man: "Hey!" Me: "Yes?" HIm: "Pull your shirt over your gun" Me: "No"

Him: "Yes, now" , His daughter who was elderly too I originally thought was his wife:"Daaaad....shut up you don't know who he is" Him " I don't care, cover your gun" Me: " No, its perfectly legal in the state of Washington." Meanwhile this other customer rolls his eyes and chuckles at the other guy.

My cousin turns around being partially deaf from fightin in Iraq: "Whats going on"

His daughter:" He doesn't like his gun" My cousin " Oh well, thats the law , too bad"

Girls behind the counter now laughing at the old guy.

He says real loud " I don't like guns and people who own them!" at this point I shrug and say " well thats too bad" and decided to ignore him. He left shortly after and not in a good mood. I found the whole thing pretty amusing. I feel he was trying to rile up and was very upset when I remained a calm and contained individual, thus destroying his stereo type of people with guns.

kenshin

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Met my cousin/business partner at starbucks and while he was getting his coffee I went to look for a table.

Him: "Yes, now" , His daughter who was elderly too I originally thought was his wife:"Daaaad....shut up you don't know who he is" Him " I don't care, cover your gun" Me: " No, its perfectly legal in the state of Washington." Meanwhile this other customer rolls his eyes and chuckles at the other guy.

My cousin turns around being partially deaf from fightin in Iraq: "Whats going on"

His daughter:" He doesn't like his gun" My cousin " Oh well, thats the law , too bad"

He says real loud " I don't like guns and people who own them!" at this point I shrug and say " well thats too bad" and decided to ignore him. He left shortly after and not in a good mood. I found the whole thing pretty amusing. I feel he was trying to rile up and was very upset when I remained a calm and contained individual, thus destroying his stereo type of people with guns.

Some people are antagonistic just for the hell of it, and I'll never understand why. You did well not getting riled up, but I think you may have missed an opportunity for education. By simply saying 'No', the old guy most likely walked away with the same view of guns and gun owners. Maybe a pamphlet would have helped.

Granted there are some folks out there that no matter what you try, just aren't willing to listen. This guy kind of sounds like one too, but it doesn't hurt to try. Anyways, hope you and you're cousin were able to finish your coffee in peace.

compmanio365

imported post

Wow.....I still can't fathom how people get such nasty looks and comments. I've never had such an experience in all the time I've been carrying. Good job, that old geezer looks like the jerk and you come out of it looking like a responsible adult that has betterthings to do than throw a tempertantrum.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Was he wearing a "Hope" shirt? :p
That just gave me an idea... we need to get us some hope shirts and wear them when we go out sometimes.... just to tweak the minds of the hapless minions.:lol:
I'm agreeing with something you said. Someone check to make sure hell hasn't frozen over.:p

kenny31

imported post

True story. A lot of times I half-ass conceal, like t-shirt over the grip IWB or something like that. Whatever is more comfortable. I was in the Starbucks here in town and I bent over to pick up my cup sleeve that fell off the counter and one of the girls working said, "I see you carry 2 guns." I was a little taken aback.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Me: May I ask your name or for some ID?
Him: None of your business. Why do you want to know?
Me: Well, the only men in my life who I have had standing to order me around like that are my father and my grade school principal. I don't think you are either one but I wanted to make sure before I utterly ignore you and your irrelevant opinion.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

kenshin wrote:

Some people are antagonistic just for the hell of it, and I'll never understand why. You did well not getting riled up, but I think you may have missed an opportunity for education. By simply saying 'No', the old guy most likely walked away with the same view of guns and gun owners. Maybe a pamphlet would have helped.

Granted there are some folks out there that no matter what you try, just aren't willing to listen. This guy kind of sounds like one too, but it doesn't hurt to try. Anyways, hope you and you're cousin were able to finish your coffee in peace.
I normally take up the opportunity for education but this guy was obviously antagonistic and wasn't going to be interested in having a conversation with me. So I thought it best just to politely tell him no. Let him look like the ranting idiot he proved to be.

bugly

imported post

Just ask them in a calm, collected way if they talk the same way to police officers... after all, they are human beings, too, and there is nothing illegal about the way you are carrying your piece.
If the subject is an older gentleman, such as the one in this story, you can calmly ask him if he was one of the draft-dodgers that ran away from duty. That should make him look really good in front of his progeny...
Or you can just calmly ignore the obvious idiot you are being confronted with....

DEROS72

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:

I noticed the same reaction in my recent encounter at a Starbucks.The more you don't react the more upset they get..........WELL DONE!!! You handled that exactly the way you should have..

kwiebe

imported post

kenny31 wrote:
True story. A lot of times I half-ass conceal, like t-shirt over the grip IWB or something like that. Whatever is more comfortable. I was in the Starbucks here in town and I bent over to pick up my cup sleeve that fell off the counter and one of the girls working said, "I see you carry 2 guns." I was a little taken aback.
That's quite a compliment. Was she coming on to you? What a flirt...:celebrate

SIGguy229

imported post

It's ironic that some people who are anti-gun believe that OCers will start shooting up the place (wherever "the place" is)...yet they will yell, berate, and belittle to force a person open-carrying a gun into some sort of reaction (as described in the OP). I wonder if any of these "heros" will do the same with a real BG waving a gun around?

Sounds like a Darwin candidate.

compmanio365

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
It's ironic that some people who are anti-gun believe that OCers will start shooting up the place (wherever "the place" is)...yet they will yell, berate, and belittle to force a person open-carrying a gun into some sort of reaction (as described in the OP). I wonder if any of these "heros" will do the same with a real BG waving a gun around?

Exactly why I call "BS" on "You're making people nervous and afraid".....if I REALLY was making them afraid, they wouldn't make a scene and confront me, right? No, I'm just doing something they don't like, and exposing the reality of the world to them, and they don't like being reminded that the world they live in is dangerous and there is nobody looking out for them but them. Really what it boils down to. They are pissed cause you are exposing them for the sheep they really are.

kwiebe

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
SIGguy229 wrote:

Exactly why I call "BS" on "You're making people nervous and afraid".....if I REALLY was making them afraid, they wouldn't make a scene and confront me, right? No, I'm just doing something they don't like, and exposing the reality of the world to them, and they don't like being reminded that the world they live in is dangerous and there is nobody looking out for them but them. Really what it boils down to. They are pissed cause you are exposing them for the sheep they really are.
I never thought of this angle before, but you two really nailed it. Bingo.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I really got to say Starbucks has always treated me great. Never have had any problems from any of their employees. Once a store sees me a few times, they might ask about it out of curiosity, but it has always been freindly informative conversations.

jbone

imported post

Crotchety ole man, is that the word