• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimberguy Incident

Veritas

imported post

Kimberguy wrote:
ok, i like having my own thread.... this might be useful... went to Home Depot, as usual nothing... went to Menard's, a lot of people i know there.... nothing, until i went out into the parking lot. I'm driving away and this dude is checking out my truck.... now thos of you who know I am very proud of my truck and i like when ppl notice it. I opened my window because he kept looking back at me, when I did he said "Open carry right?" i get happy, and reply "Yeah" "You know that is CCW rite now right? I'm a cop and i'm calling you in to report you" now, i should have realized who he was. I replied, "I have my CPL as well." "then i'm reporting you to the gun board, didn't you get the warning?" i think when i mentioned my CPL and when he made that last comment we both realized who eachother were. I'm 95% sure it was officer Paul Albrich or however you spell it... Jackson City police. And i'm pretty sure he knew who i was, that explains why he was checking out the back of my truck, he wasn't looking at my paint job, he was checking out my plate...
I'm pretty pissed, i seriously think the guy is following me.

I will be at cascades tonight for anyone who wishes to join me. i'll be there in the next hour or so.
Sorry to hear that.

Yesterday, I was at the shopping complex on Telegraph and 12 Mile (I believe) in Southfield. I parked between the Meijer and the Home Depot (or is it Lowes? I don't remember) because I needed to make stops at both. When I walked back out to my vehicle, there were two Southfield parking enforcement officers ticking the car next to mine (they were parked in a handicap with no sticker). I thought for sure they would have said something to me. I loaded up my vehicle and left. They didn't say anything to me. Whether or not he saw my gun, one of them did nod to me.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Kimberguy wrote:
ok, i like having my own thread.... this might be useful... went to Home Depot, as usual nothing... went to Menard's, a lot of people i know there.... nothing, until i went out into the parking lot. I'm driving away and this dude is checking out my truck.... now thos of you who know I am very proud of my truck and i like when ppl notice it. I opened my window because he kept looking back at me, when I did he said "Open carry right?" i get happy, and reply "Yeah" "You know that is CCW rite now right? I'm a cop and i'm calling you in to report you" now, i should have realized who he was. I replied, "I have my CPL as well." "then i'm reporting you to the gun board, didn't you get the warning?" i think when i mentioned my CPL and when he made that last comment we both realized who eachother were. I'm 95% sure it was officer Paul Albrich or however you spell it... Jackson City police. And i'm pretty sure he knew who i was, that explains why he was checking out the back of my truck, he wasn't looking at my paint job, he was checking out my plate...

I will be at cascades tonight for anyone who wishes to join me. i'll be there in the next hour or so.

I know hindsight is always 20/20,
Butdo you feelstopping and conversing with this clown would havegotten anywhere? Maybe why he is taking it upon himself to harrass you for exercising a protected right!
Was he off-duty? Seems to me he is going out of his way to be a douche!
Some people are a little "off" in the way they think.
I would have someone you know tail you with an activevid camera running at all times when your in town, watching the video may show someone following you that you may not notice in real-time. Collect as much evidence as you can of this possible stalker and consider getting representaion to nail him on harrassment or denial of rights charges.

ghostrider

imported post

Kimberguy wrote:

Who is Officer Paul Albrich, and what is his significance too this story?

It sounds like you are being harassed. Chasing you down while in plain cloths, threatening to report you for CCW, and then to the gun board is nothing less than coercion.

They know what they are doing is wrong, they just don’t care because they have no reason to stop. Either they don’t want you OC’ing, or they just don’t like you, or both. Chances are they’ll keep doing this until they either find a reason to bust you, or you take action to stop them. By that I do mean suing them. Complaining is obviously something they have little remorse over (they probably think it’s pathetic, and laugh at you for it. That’s the general reaction when officers get complaints over stuff like this. They get a slap on the wrist with a wink and a nod, and then go right back to doing whatever it was that garnered the complaint in the first place).

Interesting the comment, “…didn't you get the warning?”. He is the one who should have "gotten the warning". Could this be a reference to the past harassment, and the warning being the unsaid message that if OC doesn’t stop, then they are going to make it unpleasant for anyone who chooses to do so? I'm guessing "yes".

These are not the type of people you “educate”. Truthfully, your better off if they remain ignorant since they’ll only use whatever education you provide them to better bust you with. They are not some misguided soul who needs your benevolent guidance. They are thugs who want nothing more than to find a way to make life so difficult for you that you stop, and that includes finding a way to take your freedom. The more ignorant the remain, the more mistakes they will make, and the easier your case will be. The more you "educate" them, the more possibility of your case becoming more difficult. Before sending of another letter to the Chief, or IA, ask a lawyer if that's what he/she would have you do.I'm guessing not.

I understand not wanting to sue the police. Not everyone has the financial means to do it, and even then, not everyone is in a position to do so. However, They clearly have gotten the message that your actions are legal, and they have decided to harass you regardless. They don't care about your rights. All they care about is making sure you know to bow down to them when they say so.

I hope everything works out for you. Just be careful.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I sent the following to the Chief of Police for the City of Jackson as well as to Lt. Jim Shaw of the Michigan State Police Post #17 in Jackson.

"Good afternoon,

I had a problem being stopped by several Jackson City Police officers after a 911 call was made about me open carrying in public several months ago. I can't go into much detail about it because I am fighting a traffic ticket I recieved that day after being stopped for open carrying a handgun. It has been brought to my attention that someone else was recently stopped for open carrying by another Jackson City Police Officer and I thought this information needed to be sent again to make you aware of the legality of open carry in the State of Michigan. We are not out to cause trouble, make a scene, or have any problems with law enforcement officers. We are just law abiding citizens that wish to protect ourselves and exercize our Constitutional rights. I would appreciate a response to verify that you recieved this email, and have discussed this issue with your fellow officers. I appreciate the hard work all of you do everyday. Below you will find an information pack on the legality of open carry.

I did have contact with Lt. Jim Shaw of the Michigan State Police Department, as well as Captain Kevin Stellingworth of the Jackson Sherrif's Department several months ago pertaining to this topic, and was told that they has discussed this with their fellow officers. I just thought they should be aware of this. I did send a copy of this email to the Jackson City Police Department at the same time I sent them copies back in May but never recieved a response. I hope this makes its way to the Chief of the Jackson City Police Department, and as requested would like a reponse stating that this information was recieved.

Thank you for your time and hard work.

T Vance"

Also, here is a link to those court cases you requested Kimberguy.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/26723.html

1 See, for example, Com. v. Couture, 407 Mass. 178, 552 N.E.2d 538 (1990), cert. denied, 498 U.S. 951, 111 S. Ct. 372, 112 L.Ed.2d 334 (1990).

2 Id.

3 See Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1, 88 S. Ct. 1868, 20 L.Ed.2d 889 (196 4 Com. v. Alvarado, 423 Mass. 277, 667 N.E.2d 856 (199 .

5 Alabama v. White, 496 U.S. 325, 110 S. Ct. 2412, 110 L.Ed.2. 301 (1990).

6 Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266, 120 S. Ct. 1375, 146 L.Ed.2d 254 (2000).

7 Pennsylvania v. D.M., U.S. 120 S. Ct. 203, 146 L.Ed.2d 953 (2000).

8 Id.

9 Alabama v. White, 496 U.S. 325, 1105 S. Ct. 2412, 110 L.Ed.2d 301 (1990); U.S. v. Diallo, 29 F.3d 23 (1st Cir. 1994); U.S. v. Taylor, 162 F.3d 12 (1st Cir. 199 .

This has to stop, I have been in contact with the Jackson PD and they know damn well OC is legal. I was told that their officers have been briefed on this as well. If they keep this up a class action suit is in order. Several of the people that have been harassed in the last month should get together and think about a federal suit.