• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TheSzerdi's Court Case

TheSzerdi

imported post

Next court date Wednesday, September 30th, 8:30AM, 36th District Court, room 435.

Old court date on Tuesday September 8th at 8:30AM 36th District Court fourth floor courtroom 435.

You should update the first post so it's easy for people to get the info... Friday 31st @ 12:30pm

Court date Tuesday the 14th, 1:00PM @ 36th District Court. I don't recommend going into the court house, however, as it is extremely boring and annoying. Lots of rules like: No Camera Phones, No Lighters/Matches, No Recording Devices, etc

Today I arrived at 8:30 AM and sat there till about 11:00AM and didn't get out till around noon.

TheSzerdi wrote:
Didn't wanna start a whole thread for a minor update:

Court today seemed to go well. Mr. Dean Greenblatt was brilliant and turned the officer into a star witness for the defense. Unfortunately the case has been adjourned for two weeks to allow the judge to familiarize herself with the law. I'll let ya'll know more then.
dougwg wrote:
You need to make a post with this info in it as well as court dates so we can show up in support of you.

Michigander

imported post

I gotta say, they look awfully bad to me not taking this case more seriously. What we have read described is extremely serious, and the judge didn't even take the time to understand what happened and the relevant laws, nor did the prosecutor explain it to her ahead of time.

THIS is why I am very weary of OCing in Detroit alone or even in small groups. Hopefully this case will turn things around.

One other thought, should there be press releases about this?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If someone thinks of it, please update this thread on the 14th, or post link to a new thread about the matter.

Thank you!

Michigander

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
Would it be possible to post a transcript of the case so far? Should be fairly easy to get from your lawyer.
It should be easy to FOIA, but it could take a while and perhaps be expensive.

TheSzerdi

imported post

Quick correction... Just reviewed this post and noticed I typo'd the date. It's Wednesday the 15th @ 1:00PM. Sorry about that. See you there, if you can still make it. :)

TheSzerdi

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Quick correction... Just reviewed this post and noticed I typo'd the date. It's Wednesday the 15th @ 1:00PM. Sorry about that. See you there, if you can still make it. :)

Ok, so what happened is I put it in my phone for the 14th, and Dean put it in his phone for two weeks from Wednesday. The judge told us two weeks, Wednesday the 14th (which doesn't exist in July of 2009). I double checked today with Dean (by email) and he replied that it's on Wednesday. Then he checked with the court clerk and the clerk said that it's Tuesday the 14th. SO, we're going in TOMORROW (the 14th), although Dean suspects that the judge will adjourn it till Wednesday because Wednesday's are the day for that type of hearing or w/e. Really sorry for the confusion, I have to be there tomorrow although it seems there's a chance the judge will just tell us to come back the next day. You guys are welcome to come tomorrow (cuz I'll be there for sure and it may be resolved then) or you can wait and I'll update this tomorrow evening.

malignity

imported post

So when the hell is it? Expect a call incoming. I can't make it cause of my 'oh so awesome' midnight shift, but you better believe that I'm gonna be glad to get my shooting partner back. :p

TheSzerdi

imported post

Well, you guys didn't miss anything. We didn't even see the judge. According to the clerk the paperwork is missing and the judge now wants the cop there and a prosecutor too, so it's been adjourned till the 31st at 12:30.

I hate the system.