• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Republican nominee for Governor of Texas Debra Medina - open carry supporter?

rodbender

imported post

Debra on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
“No compromise 2nd Amendment”

Gun ownership is essential to our liberty. Private property rights notwithstanding, the right to keep and bear arms should not be regulated or infringed. We Texans should be free to carry our arms openly, and any attempts to restrict gun ownership should be rejected.

Sounds good to me.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
Debra on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
“No compromise 2nd Amendment”

Gun ownership is essential to our liberty. Private property rights notwithstanding, the right to keep and bear arms should not be regulated or infringed. We Texans should be free to carry our arms openly, and any attempts to restrict gun ownership should be rejected.

Sounds good to me.
Virginia wishes you Texans all the best in this endeavor.

CommonMan101

imported post

She sings my song. For what I find on that pdf file of her answers - well my heart swelled a little.Are theyreally her truthful positions? Why not? Her answers would get rocks thrown at her in Berkeley, Ca.. The gun related question was only one of many good answers.

My current better half would answer all those questions the same way. I'm SO much happier now than when I was married to a "Where do I sign up for the Govt. free stuff?" liberal!

I do believe I'll be voting for her. Sorry, Kay. Maybe you run for something else and I vote for you there?

Now to tell others of her.

Thanks for the moral support from VA, It feels a long way away compared to most other states but it feels a heck of a lot closer than just a couple of years ago.

KBCraig

imported post

Sorry to be the bearer of reality, but because she actively campaigned for Ron Paul, the Texas GOP considers her persona non grata. She'll have a helluva time even being recognized for the primary ballot.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

with the exception of montana, texas could possibly be the only state willing to deal with a libertarian republican as governor. most texans are extremely unhappy with the republican party but would rather go libertarian than democrat.

NightOwl

imported post

What an amazing candidate! After reading the link, and following up with a trip to her personal site http://www.medinafortexas.com/where I poked around a bit, she sounds like she'd make a great governor. Her stance on the 2nd amendment is nothing short of right on the money.

Best of luck getting such a great person into the governor's office, Texas.

Edit: Might help her campaign if OCDO endorsed her nomination, maybe? Could be worth getting in touch with her if so. Mike?

CrossFire

imported post

Even with her pro gun ideas what would she be able to do for open carry in Texas? Perry is open carry friendly and how did we do on 2A bills in the legislature this last session? Remember, it is the legislature that is holding us back.

CrossFire

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Sorry to be the bearer of reality, but because she actively campaigned for Ron Paul, the Texas GOP considers her persona non grata. She'll have a helluva time even being recognized for the primary ballot.
What if she ran as an independent or Libertarian? What would we as Texas voters have to do to get her on the ballot?

SANDCREEK

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Even with her pro gun ideas what would she be able to do for open carry in Texas? Perry is open carry friendly and how did we do on 2A bills in the legislature this last session? Remember, it is the legislature that is holding us back.

Pending a legislative remedy for theblatant conflict between Article1 section 23of the Texas Constitution and Chapter 10, 46.02 [UCW]- it would seem obvious that an Attorney General's opinion is in order. I've mentioned this before. I have e-mailed both Governor Perry and the AG's office on the need for a review & opinion on this conflict in Texas law.

An AG opinion would elevate the issue to a level where it cannot be simply ignored by the carpet baggers in Austin.

I have followed this "handgun" issue and its questionable "enforcement" practices throughout the State for a fair number of years. During my residency in West Texas it just was not an issueduring the 70's, 80's, & part of the 90's.It has only been since the Clinton/Brady hysteria gathered momentum that 46.02 has been dusted off and used to deny the right guaranteed by Article 1, sec 23..

The pervasive hostility to firearms in general and the right to carry is totally independent of any "laws" on the books. I can "legally" [ without being harrassed by LEO]openly wear a holstered handgun in Colorado Springs - but that doesn't mean everybody likes it, respects my right to do so, or permits the practice on their property.

I did some shopping at the nearby Walmart this morning with my Glock 23 holstered on the belt. I personally have never had any problem in OC condition here in CO, but others have. I have every reason to suspect that I am perceived assome level of law enforcement - and I present myself in a manner so as not to discourage that perception. Perception being 95% of reality - as the saying goes.

Getting back to the Attorney General idea - I assume Governor Perry plans on running in 2010 - or is he out of it due to term limitation ? Assuming that he wants to remain Governor, he needs to get with it on this OC issue.But one gets the feeling it's all talk and no walk - so far.

Kay Bailey Hutchison - just doesn't appeal to me as Governor. Better than Ann Richards - but still a politics as usual, Washington DC "player" who kinda says what she thinks folks want to hear. Am I wrong ?

This Debra Medina looks a little bit like a Texas version of Sarah Palin - and we need to support her.

CrossFire

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
CrossFire wrote:

Pending a legislative remedy for theblatant conflict between Article 13 of the Texas Constitution and Chapter 10, 46.02 [UCW]- it would seem obvious that an Attorney General's opinion is in order. I've mentioned this before. I have e-mailed both Governor Perry and the AG's office on the need for a review & opinion on this conflict in Texas law.

An AG opinion would elevate the issue to a level where it cannot be simply ignored by the carpet baggers in Austin.

I have followed this "handgun" issue and its questionable "enforcement" practices throughout the State for a fair number of years. During my residency in West Texas it just was not an issueduring the 70's, 80's, & part of the 90's.It has only been since the Clinton/Brady hysteria gathered momentum that 46.02 has been dusted off and used to deny the right guaranteed by Article 13.

The pervasive hostility to firearms in general and the right to carry is totally independent of any "laws" on the books. I can "legally" [ without being harrassed by LEO]openly wear a holstered handgun in Colorado Springs - but that doesn't mean everybody likes it, respects my right to do so, or permits the practice on their property.

I did some shopping at the nearby Walmart this morning with my Glock 23 holstered on the belt. I personally have never had any problem in OC condition here in CO, but others have. I have every reason to suspect that I am perceived assome level of law enforcement - and I present myself in a manner so as not to discourage that perception. Perception being 95% of reality - as the saying goes.

Getting back to the Attorney General idea - I assume Governor Perry plans on running in 2010 - or is he out of it due to term limitation ? Assuming that he wants to remain Governor, he needs to get with it on this OC issue.But one gets the feeling it's all talk and no walk - so far.

Kay Bailey Hutchison - just doesn't appeal to me as Governor. Better than Ann Richards - but still a politics as usual, Washington DC "player" who kinda says what she thinks folks want to hear. Am I wrong ?

This Debra Medina looks a little bit like a Texas version of Sarah Palin - and we need to support her.
Lot of luck getting an opinion out of Greg Abbot, our AG. I am sure I am not the only one in Texas that has emailed or snail mailed him about that.

I do not think Texas has term limits and Perry is planning a run in 2010

I agree with you on Kay Baily but we could always end up with worse.

As far as Medina is concerned, I have just recently become aware of her. Problem is she has come out of nowhere, no name recognition or history to speak of. She does not seem to have held any elected office despite her claimed political activity. However, if she turns out to be the real deal 2A wise there are hopefully 50 to 60 thousand people that signed that online open carry petition that hopefully vote for her. Not enough to get her elected I know but whoever did win would be wise to take notice.

That said as I stated before no governor is going to get our rights back they do not have that power.

rodbender

imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
Sorry, Kay. Maybe you run for something else and I vote for you there?

I would not vote for Kay Bailey-Hutchison for dog catcher. She voted for the first TARP bill (as did John Cornyn), and she voted some years ago to fund the National Endowment for the Arts. Unconstitutional the both of them are.She, and he,ain't gittin' my vote fer nuttin'.

It's either Perry or Medina in my book, and it appears thatI will be activelycampaigning for Medina.

SANDCREEK

imported post

I have offerred my services to Medina's campaign once I'm settled in Arlington. Also included a small contribution. We need people like her in government rather thanlawyer politicians who seem to have never studied the constitutions in law school.

NightOwl

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Lot of luck getting an opinion out of Greg Abbot, our AG. I am sure I am not the only one in Texas that has emailed or snail mailed him about that.

I do not think Texas has term limits and Perry is planning a run in 2010

I agree with you on Kay Baily but we could always end up with worse.

As far as Medina is concerned, I have just recently become aware of her. Problem is she has come out of nowhere, no name recognition or history to speak of. She does not seem to have held any elected office despite her claimed political activity. However, if she turns out to be the real deal 2A wise there are hopefully 50 to 60 thousand people that signed that online open carry petition that hopefully vote for her. Not enough to get her elected I know but whoever did win would be wise to take notice.

That said as I stated before no governor is going to get our rights back they do not have that power.

In regards to that, I'll direct you toa recent stuntour governor of Idaho pulled, in brief. He refused to sign anything coming out of state legislature until he received funding for some projects he wanted. Bill after bill went to his desk, just to get a veto. End result...he got funding for his project.

Just because a governor can't sponsor a bill doesn't mean that they're powerless. They are in a position to push pretty hard against state legislature that doesn't want to cooperate. Plus, having a proponent of open carry in that position would significantly hinder any anti-oc bills passing. She'd also be in a great position to give support to people running for office during her term that support OC as she does.

Not to mention her great viewpoint on all the other issues she's addressed, and that a businessman in the governors office can't be a bad thing in this day and age of states having troubles paying their bills.

rpyne

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Can you imagine how powerful it would be if those 50-60 thousand people would get out and go door to door campaigning for her?

Grassroots campaigns DO work. Just last November we were able to unseat an incumbent congressman here in Utah by using a mass of volunteers out walking neighborhoods knocking on doors. Jason Chaffetz beat Chris Cannon in Utah's 3rd congressional district with a budget that was approximately 1/10th of Canon's.

It may surprise you just how much influence a governor has on the legislative agenda, especially if a majority of the legislature are of the same political party as the governor.

CommonMan101

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
*snip...

I agree with both of your statements.

Kay would be too "DCOriented" in our own house. She's been there too long.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
All the more reason to stop voting Republican.

Libertarians is what Republicans were made out of. If they have so severely lost their way that they scuttle their own roots, sadly... "Change" is needed... Just not the change we got... This Republican arrogance and refusal to even act like half of a Republican, is what brought us the Liberal onslaught. Conservatives haven't got anything to vote for.

FMCDH

imported post

If she really is the "real deal", I say get behind her and PUSH!

God speed Texas! :)

Oscarr

imported post

ixtow wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
All the more reason to stop voting Republican.

Libertarians is what Republicans were made out of. If they have so severely lost their way that they scuttle their own roots, sadly... "Change" is needed... Just not the change we got... This Republican arrogance and refusal to even act like half of a Republican, is what brought us the Liberal onslaught. Conservatives haven't got anything to vote for.
I agree, republicans don't stand for their original values anymore. Republicans and Democrats are just 2 sides of the same coin to me: They both want power and money - they just go about getting it in slightly different ways, end result is still the same though.

I'm in LA now but all my family is from TX, I'm sure they'll be voting for her.