• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on Ruger SP 101 or LCR or even S&W

VA Big E

imported post

Looking for a revolver. I shot the SP101 before and really liked it. I would also consider the LCR or even a S&W. What would be a good choice for a first revolver? Also I would CC the revolver.

tripledipper

imported post

The hot item recently for CC in revolvers is S&W in the airweight models 442/642 without the internal lock. Price has skyrocketed on these, probably up $75/100 in recent months,and they are becoming less available. but they are the weapon of choice for S&W addicts.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'd pass on the LCR, I don't trust it, it feels junky and with Rugers recent recalls it makes me nervous that it will have major problems. SP101 or one of the various flavors of J Frame S&Ws should be fine. I'd lean toward S&W because of holster availability.

shad0wfax

imported post

VA Big E wrote:
Looking for a revolver.  I shot the SP101 before and really liked it.  I would also consider the LCR or even a S&W.  What would be a good choice for a first revolver?  Also I would CC the revolver.

The SP 101 looks to be a fine revolver, but I've never fired one.

I often carry a concealed S&W J-Frame (5-shot) with a 3" barrel chambered in .357 Magnum. I use a Galco Gun-Leather IWB holster with it and am very pleased with its performance and reliability.

I think you'll be happy with the SP101 or any of the J-frames. Just make sure you get one with a barrel long enough to deliver good terminal performance but short enough to be comfortable to carry. (I prefer a 3" barrel with that compromise in mind.)

ace1001

imported post

The Ruger SP101 is the toughest, hands down. Accuracy is as good as the S&W, finish is not. If you have some emery paper you can fix that yourself on a stainless gun. Taurus has some lockup problems on their .357 snubby. You don't want lead comming out of the cyl. gap. Ruger locks both ends of the crane and is strong enough to shoot .357s all the time. If you buy an airlight your hand will pay. Get the lasergrips for a snubby, you won't regret it. Ace

ghostrider

imported post

I like Ruger's revolvers (excluding the recent LCR). In the past they have proven to be tough, and the GP-100 was my first hand gun.

That said, for the purpose you stated, I'd say go with the S&W 642/442.

Here's why:

You want to conceal it. True that can be done with the SP101, or the LCR, but the S&W's are smaller for the same number of rounds, making them easier to conceal. The internal hammer of the S&W's also prevents dirt from getting into the action that way. They are lighter than the SP101. Due to the lighter weight, and smaller size, they are more likely to be carried. Some people don't mind the extra weight of the SP101 (I know someone who claims to carry two of them instead of an auto), but more and more people do. I have a friend who is unhappy with the SP101 because he doesn't feel it is suitable for pocket carry.

In comparision to the LCR. Again, it's smaller and the hammer is internal. If the LCR is lighter weight, it's probably negligible, and many people discover that anything lighter than the 642/442 becomes less shootable. I also am leary of any new Ruger pistols for a carry piece due to the fact that both the SR9, and LCP have been recalled. I'm confident that Ruger will stand behind their guns, but would prefer something more proven in a fighting gun.

OTOH,
If you don't mind the extra weight and size of the SP101, then I'd imagine that those attributes will translate into a more shootable platform.

I recommend you go into the shop and experiment with both guns and various holsters and carry methods (pocket, IWB, OWB). Most people want to put them in their pockets.

When I first decided to CC, I went to my local and tried out various guns before settling on a G19. Then I tried out various holsters and carry methods before settleing on a holster and carry method. I've since then thought I'd want something smaller to carry, and maybe in my pocket or some other more concealable method. I still alwasy go back to my orriginal plan. Good thing I spent the time to conduct practical research before buying. It's allowed me to be happy with my orriginal choice.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

tripledipper wrote:
The hot item recently for CC in revolvers is S&W in the airweight models 442/642 without the internal lock. Price has skyrocketed on these, probably up $75/100 in recent months,and they are becoming less available. but they are the weapon of choice for S&W addicts.

Yep, a good choice. I have a recent lock-free 442.

At this weekend's Hampton VAgun show they seemed to be going for what they were back in January.

ace1001

imported post

Carry the SP101 inside the waist band and you will not notice the weight. The profile is the same and you can use the same leather holster, but it is heavier. A plus for me. You could get the poly frame one. Ace

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I carry the SP-101 as my main carry weapon, OC or CC. Their reputation and durability are proven, I can shoot it accurately loaded with 125gr hollow points (I'm a small guy, under 150lbs), and it disappears when I conceal it. If you're planning on ever concealing it, get the one with the spurless hammer. It won't catch on your shirt as you try to deploy.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12918&forum_id=5&jump_to=208174#p208174

h2ofowl

imported post

I own a Taurus 357 snubby and shoot 357s thru it and have yet to have any issues of any kind with the gun.It also fits well in any holster i own for my smith j frame.
My taurus is a shrouded hammer,makes nice pocket gun!And yes i know some people dislike taurus but hey they offer a lifetime warranty so who cares they will fix it if it needs to be repaired--- FOREVER.Taurus makes as good a weapon as any other manufacturer.

soloban

imported post

I just bought an SP101 and it's a great revolver. Well made, rugged. Shoots well, though a tad on the heavy side. I got the 2" .357 Magnum

IMG_0029.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The SP-101 is a fine revolver. Smith J-frames are fine too. And available in many, many versions. All steel (M60), steel, blue (36), concealed hammer (40 Centennial), semi-concealed hammer (49 Bodyguard), Airweights (aluminum alloy), Airlites (Scandium alloy), et cetera.

For CC, I often carry a model 37-2 Airweight, DAO, bobbed hammer. Very reliable.

The Smiths are often available in the used market channels, occasionally at a very competitive price.

gbentzen8

imported post

VA Big E wrote:
Looking for a revolver. I shot the SP101 before and really liked it. I would also consider the LCR or even a S&W. What would be a good choice for a first revolver? Also I would CC the revolver.

I really like Ruger products. The .357 MagSP 101 5 shot revolver is a great gun, but it does bite (your hand).....a lot when you shoot full power .357 down the tube. If you get it you should look for better grips then the factory ones.

I was in the market for a .357 snub and bought a Taurus for $225 at Chantilly, Va gunshow about 5 years ago. It's a good gun. The soft rubber grips really reduce felt recoil. Depends on your planned use of the weapon. If it is CC self defense than the LCR may be a candidate. My planned use was hiking in black bear country. I also use it with .38 +P in the house. My point is that the the .357 offers options that a .38 does not.

I believe the Ruger will hold up for your heirs..........the Taurus will serve you for your time just fine.

VA Big E

imported post

Thanks for all the information. I went to the SGK show in Hampton, today and bought the Ruger SP101 in 3"bbl stainless .357, then I went to Bob's and put 100 rounds of .38 special through it. Love it, now I need to get some .357 rounds to try.

Batousaii

imported post

VA Big E wrote:
Thanks for all the information. I went to the SGK show in Hampton, today and bought the Ruger SP101 in 3"bbl stainless .357, then I went to Bob's and put 100 rounds of .38 special through it. Love it, now I need to get some .357 rounds to try.

Congrats! - I have a Ruger GP100 in 357, it's the SP101's big brother, and i absolutely love it. They are a lil-overbuilt, and can handle the rugged life :)

Bato