• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you practice on your Property?

Bustelo5%

imported post

How do you practice on your Property? First off im a city slicker and my dads army so we would just go to the range.
So what is the best way to shoot a 9mm while practicing? Tree or something old car with no fluids. Any Ideas I wanna do this the safest as possible and not have to pay some range 2,000 for a year whatever. My friend has about 2 acres but there are some houses so I wanna be as safe as possible.

hp-hobo

imported post

Being as Ilive onabout 25 acres bordering a state forest on two sidesand have asmall range out back, I really don't have the experience to tell you the best method for what you want to do. But...

IMO, two acres, unless it's a long and narrow two acres, isn't really enough space to safely shoot. Not only that, you're probably not far enough away fromthe neighbors to not piss them off with the noise.

I think you need to find a different place to shoot, or at least switch to .22's for plinking. Good luck.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Two acres is pretty small... I'll go with the guy above me and say too small. Keep it at the range.

If you really want to shoot at home, buy or build a good, big (so you can't miss) bullet trap and get a .22. Sig makes a .22 pistol (the Mosquito) that's nearly the same size as the 9mm P229. It's an excellent practice gun, the ammo is cheap, and you can buy them with threaded barrels so you can get a suppressor and not piss off your neighbors.

JohnK87

imported post

Many states have restrictions on how close to a road or a home you can discharge a firearm, it will be impossible to do that on 2 acres in most places.

Get a high quality BB pistol and use that for practice.

Bustelo5%

imported post

My friends place is in an unincorp town neer Kent,OH and the neighbors are pretty cool,but they have more land so I might ask them since they have about 100 acres. HP Hobo that sounds amazing all that land and nature. Ohio is pretty weird you go from city to nothing. but the towns where I live all the houses are pretty close togther and unless you go south theres not to much land.
Bullet Trap sounds like a great idea.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I heard that in Hawaii there is a free shooting range in Hawaii Kai about 2o min outside of Honolulu I wanna go back home. But Hawaii has some pretty crazy laws and theres no shooting on your own property there since you live like cucarachas lol.

TheMrMitch

imported post

My range...140 yards lasered. Into a bottom of a hill so no overshoots will occur.Ialso use Tannerite.

Range.jpg

hp-hobo

imported post

I wouldn't call it a bullet trap per se, but.

We have a berm made of railroad ties stacked 10 high and two across. These are supported with rebar driven through holes drilled in the ends and into the earth. Then they're backed up with roughly two truckloads of fill dirt. With a little scrounging, total cost was about $50. If you can keep your shots within an area about 8' high and 16' wide, which we easily do from the 100 yard station,you're good to go.

As a side note, we keep lot's of gallon milk jugs filled with water (sometimes gasoline) to blow up with shotguns and empty 30 lb refrigerant cans I get from a friend who owns an A/C place. Interestingly enough, the cans are about the size of a human torso. Whooda thunk. Good practice and the price is right.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Wow thats a great idea,I just googled what a berm was to find out other Ideas old freezers and fridges full of dirt or sand sound like a good idea.Some other person mentioned slabs of rubber? confused of how you could get that stuff.Now this reminds me of the Army Armory and why they had a oil can full of sand next to it,to check their side arm before they gave it in. Btw im an amry bratt defintly not a soldier so im a complete newb.