Thread: Firearms in city parks

Post imported post

My wife and I went to check out Bradley Lake the other night after dinner and I spotted a sign stating it is illegal to possess a firearm of any type in the city park. That is Bradley Park in the city of Puyallop. I was somewhat surprised to see the signs so prominently displayed because of the state preemption laws.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

virgil47 wrote:
    My wife and I went to check out Bradley Lake the other night after dinner and I spotted a sign stating it is illegal to possess a firearm of any type in the city park. That is Bradley Park in the city of Puyallop. I was somewhat surprised to see the signs so prominently displayed because of the state preemption laws.
    Time to write the city a letter making them aware of the erroneous nature of that sign and request they change it to come in line with State Laws.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

virgil47,

From this thread:

Puyallup 13.20.010 Cemetery
    Puyallup 9.20.050 Parks and public facilities .... have not been addressed.

Check out MRSC for the actual code.

The list is long and best tackled by local members with 1) a vested interest and 2) having the pull of a constituent. If you're going to address the parks, I think it's best to address all of the issues at once.

If you're interested in taking this on, I will be happy to provide any assistance. There are several good resource people on this board. My email is in my profile.

Post imported post

As I work for a governmental agency it would not be prudent for me to become involved in a letter writing campaign with a local city government. I brought the signage to your attention in the hopes that someone that is not a federal employee could help rectify the problem. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with my position on this but I've worked for the Guv. for over 35 years and I'm well aware of the rules. Thanks.

Post imported post

So, federal government employees give up the right to petition their government. Interesting. That certainly is different thanmy twenty years in the military. My, how things have changed in this country.

Post imported post

I think you are referring to the "Hatch Act" but that only covers certain political activity.

Post imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
    So, federal government employees give up the right to petition their government. Interesting. That certainly is different thanmy twenty years in the military. My, how things have changed in this country.
    I'm sorry, Ajet, but this type of comment is exactly the kind of garbage we don't need. We all need to work together on these issues with LE, not make comments like the above one that serve no purpose than to alienate others.

You misreadVirgil's comment & then proceed to make a snide remark about it. I don't see where he said he didn't have the right, he said it wouldn't be prudent...big difference.

I think it's pretty "s h i tty" that you TRY to judge someone without knowing anything about him.

JM2CW

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I got that he making more of statement about the sad state of our current government. I was told by a lady trooper she could loose her job if she stated her opinion to me, on gun issues.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

I think it's pretty "s h i tty" that you TRY to judge someone without knowing anything about him.

5jeffro7 look in the mirror.

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    I got that he making more of statement about the sad state of our current government. I was told by a lady trooper she could loose her job if she stated her opinion to me, on gun issues.
    Hmm. It's amazing how many troopers take it upon themselves to educate us about their dislike of OC...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

...that was my reply to her....lol...
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

virgil47 wrote:
    As I work for a governmental agency it would not be prudent for me to become involved in a letter writing campaign with a local city government. I brought the signage to your attention in the hopes that someone that is not a federal employee could help rectify the problem. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with my position on this but I've worked for the Guv. for over 35 years and I'm well aware of the rules. Thanks.
    Virgil, I know exactly where you are coming from. I work for state, and know that I have been passed over for promotion and otherwise discriminated against because I have voiced my opposition to legislation that restricted possession of firearms and provisions for self-defense. One of the higher-ups in my agency has verbally stated his distain for firearms and the 2nd amendment, and my 1st amendment rights were violated last year when I was told I could not testify in opposition of a bill.

For those that don't work for the government, you may not undersatnd. Virgil and I know that we can pay a big price at work for just a single letter that our superiors don't agree with -- even if written and mailed on our own time.

Charles

Post imported post

My point, virgil47, is that I'm amazed that you feel so intimidated by the government that you can't write a simple letter to a local government official explaining that their sign does not comply with state law.Of course,you wouldn't put your concern on your official Federal Government letterhead. But no citizen should feel that they can't communicate with their elected government officials as a mere citizen. Do you feel you might suffer retribution of some kind for doing so? If so, it is a sad state that we have come to in this country.

Post imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
    I'm sorry, Ajet, but this type of comment is exactly the kind of garbage we don't need. We all need to work together on these issues with LE ...

Apology accepted, 5jeffro7, but what issue with LE are you talking about? My comment concerned communicating with local elected officials about improper signage.