• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you carry a gun?

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

So the doorbell rings a few minutes ago. It is one of my neighbors, wanting a signature for the home owner's association. I still have my 1911 on, and we stand and talk at the door for three or four minutes. I notice the dog has run outside, so I walk out onto the street and call . . . then we walk across the street to look at the fence, which needs staining.

We continued to talk for another five minutes -- my weak side is toward her now, when suddenly she says, "Do you carry a gun?"

"Yes," I reply. She says she looked down and saw the magazine and recognized what it was.She launches into how she comes from a military family, so isn't afraid ofguns, etc., etc. Didn't she see the 1911 I've had on my hip the last 10 minutes?

I'm amazed at how oblivious some people are!

Charles

Hammer

imported post

I think it's true of many people. I went shopping in Wally-World a couple nights ago. Full-size GLOCK in full view. Most didn't notice it at all. A few did, and acted like I was the Green Police. Get outta here NOW!!!!!
It gives me an inward chuckle..... :lol:

BobR

imported post

That happened to me in Starbucks one day. The guy behind the counter saw the speed loaders for my S&W 610 and then asked where the gun was. I turned towards him a tiny bit and he finally saw it.

Right there in the open, a big ole N frame S&W on my hip.

I do believe people just don't notice much of theirsurroundings at all anymore.

bob

5jeffro7

imported post

I definately agree that people don't usually notice...I was out on the dock at Martha lake about every day for a couple weeks before had a conversation aobut having to put it in my car with the park ranger...turns out that was the first time he's seen it & only becaus the "rain man" had said something to him.

I've since had a conversation with "the rain man" and although he doesn't really like people carrying guns, he understands it is legal (I think, there's no telling with him :what:)

FunkTrooper

imported post

Yeah people don't tend to notice especially if it's a black plastic gun like a GLOCK. I think people notice my 1911 more because it's stainless, a small price to pay for not having to worry about water.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Not insulting GLOCKs just meant that if your pistol is black plastic people might take a quick glance and think they saw a cell phone in one of those cell phone belt holsters.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Not insulting GLOCKs just meant that if your pistol is black plastic people might take a quick glance and think they saw a cell phone in one of those cell phone belt holsters.
Yea I see those black phone holders and phones, and find my self looking for style of gun until I realize what it is.