Thread: Wisconsin State Fair

Post imported post

So, I just received my state fair tickets today and I was wondering is it legal to carry while at the fair? Because beer is available and sold in some locations. I also wonder about this because they have had gun trade shows at the state fair grounds before. So does anyone know if you can?

Post imported post

Found this on the Fair web site...

Wisconsin State Fair Park is an agency of the State of Wisconsin.

So no buildings for sure (for sure, I think)...

Centurion

Post imported post

I don't know but to throw a log on the fire...

is "state fair park" really a state park designation?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I had heard that State Fair Park is a state park, but that is just hearsay AFAIC. I would presume that the park becomes a Class B site during the 11 day event therefore prohibiting OC. No cites, just hearsay and opinions. Sorry. :?
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but the fool's heart to the left."

Banned

Post imported post

Sounds to me like the property is owned by the Wisconsin Agricultural society which is a political subdivision of any government, so I would have to say it might be illegal to OC.

I did find this through the site:

Wisconsin State Fair Park is an agency of the State of Wisconsin. The Fair Park staff and the operations at the Park are overseen by a Board of Directors, comprised of 13 individuals representing various communities, industries, and members of our State legislature. The board is led by a Chairperson appointed by the Governor of Wisconsin. A diverse variety of events take place at Wisconsin State Fair Park each year. The annual Wisconsin State Fair, presented by U.S. Cellular, and Harvest Fair are the two signature events produced by the staff of the Fair Park.

I would suggest calling the register of deeds and asking who owns the property. If the property is owned by the Wisconsin Agricultural Society it is then private property only reserved for public use. If it is owned by the state then I think it would be considered a state park.

Post imported post

The Wisconsin State Fair Police are state cops, so I believe you are going to be out of luck there.

Banned

Post imported post

agreed

But I still suggest calling the Register of Deeds, who knows you might get lucky!

Post imported post

Ok, thanks guys, I was not sure because of them hosting gun shows and what not.

Banned

Post imported post

A phone call would be a good idea.

Post imported post

Ya, I e-mailed them and asked who was their legal owner, the state or a private group.

Post imported post

Unfortunately, the answer is a resounding NO, you cannot carry there. EVER.

The park has it's own set of state administrative codes. Being state codes the park is not affected by the preemption law. The parks code bars carrying except by peace officers.

Also, during the fair the entire park does indeed become a class B establishment, inside and out.

Also, many (not all) of the buildings are government owned.

Also, during other events alcohol is almost always sold, turning the building the event is in, or, once again, the entire park, back to a class B establishment.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

Pezhead992 wrote:
    Ok, thanks guys, I was not sure because of them hosting gun shows and what not.
    There hasn't been a gun show @ WSFP for several years. And then weapons had to be unloaded and encased, not carried.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Will you please cite the statute or regulation.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Will you please cite the statute or regulation.
    The code is SFP 2.14(9)
    Unauthorized carrying, possessing, or using of a dangerous weapon

There is also a separate code for Carrying a concealed weapon which is SFP 2.14(7).

If you want the code that indicates that the entire park becomes a Class B, that's going to take a while as I'm not in a location to look it up, and I don't know if it's on-line.