• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Cali from Michigan

T Vance

imported post

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been discussed, and for not knowing California's STRICT gun laws. :banghead:I am visiting San Diego in the beginning of July and was wondering if a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) holder from Michigan can carry concealed in the state of Cali.

Thanks for you help!

T. Vance

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Hello,

Forgive me if this has been discussed, and for not knowing California's STRICT gun laws. :banghead:I am visiting San Diego in the beginning of July and was wondering if a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) holder from Michigan can carry concealed in the state of Cali.

Thanks for you help!

T. Vance

The answer is no, you may not carry concealed with your Michigan CPL. In fact, the only way you can lawfullycarry is in a locked, secure, fully-enclosed case or openly in a belt holster outside 1000 foot school zones and inside incorporated city limits the weapon must be unloaded. If you have magazines that hold greater than ten rounds you would need to leave them in Michigan or disassembled for the duration of your stay.

Read more...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/8457.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/24732.html

http://californiaopencarry.com

NightOwl

imported post

CA doesn't let anybody use their CCW in the state, however they do enjoy the privilage of their ccw being accepted elsewhere. This might be slightly dated, but even so http://www.saf.org/reciprocity.html. It's a reciprocity listing for the country, pretty good layout.

Also, just in case you miss the sign on your way into the state:

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in colour dim I mark'd
Over a portal's lofty arch inscrib'd:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

Michigander

imported post

I know that California has a registration system, so what I keep wondering is if it could cause a problem to have a non registered pistol in California. Is it okay as long as you're from out of the state with ID to prove it?

T Vance

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
In fact, the only way you can lawfullycarry is in a locked, secure, fully-enclosed case or openly in a belt holster outside 1000 foot school zones and inside incorporated city limits the weapon must be unloaded.
What is considered an "incorporated city limit"?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Michigander wrote:
I know that California has a registration system, so what I keep wondering is if it could cause a problem to have a non registered pistol in California. Is it okay as long as you're from out of the state with ID to prove it?
Registration is required within 30 days of importing a firearm. So the prosecution would have the burden of proving you had imported a firearm AND had done so more than 30 days ago. So, as long as your trip is less than 30 days, you should be fine.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Basic rule is you can't carry a loaded firearm within any city limits.

Outside of city limits, you can carry loaded unless the area has specifically prohibited the discharge of firearms.
Note that it's not always easy to tell where city limits are. There will usually be signs posted along the freeway, and on major thoroughfares, but most cities have about 200 roads that cross the city/county border. Also, just because you're surrounded by orchards and dairies doesn't mean you're out of the city limits (though that's usually a safe assumption, I know of one such location that isn't). So, when in doubt assume you're still in city limits.

As for county prohibitions on discharge of firearms, I have found that most counties have some sort of ordinance prohibiting discharge near buildings. For example, Stanislaus prohibits discharge within 50 feet of an occupied dwelling, unless you have permission from the owner/tenant.

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
Basic rule is you can't carry a loaded firearm within any city limits.

Outside of city limits, you can carry loaded unless the area has specifically prohibited the discharge of firearms.
Note that it's not always easy to tell where city limits are. There will usually be signs posted along the freeway, and on major thoroughfares, but most cities have about 200 roads that cross the city/county border. Also, just because you're surrounded by orchards and dairies doesn't mean you're out of the city limits (though that's usually a safe assumption, I know of one such location that isn't). So, when in doubt assume you're still in city limits.

As for county prohibitions on discharge of firearms, I have found that most counties have some sort of ordinance prohibiting discharge near buildings. For example, Stanislaus prohibits discharge within 50 feet of an occupied dwelling, unless you have permission from the owner/tenant.

Definitely true.

Take California City, CA for example. It is an incorporated city with a population of under 9,000 as of the 2000 census, but has a land area of 203.7 square miles, most of which is open desert.

While it is illegal to have a loaded firearm within the city limits, I know for a fact that there are several areas that are commonly used as impromptu shooting ranges.

I refer to them as "Never Never Land". The cops never go out there, and they never will.

Doesn't mean that I will go out there shooting, but some people do.

And in some jurisdictions the local police might not (read will not) be so quick to look the other way.