• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visitor last night?

Dixienormas

imported post

I thought I would share my experience of a would be "visitor" last night. Last Night my wife and I hit the sack at about 11:00 pm. After making a door check (to make sure all was locked up tight) we got our 1 month old fed and laid down in his crib in our bed room and was all asleep shortly after 11:00.

It is near the fourth of July so all of the neighborhood kids were setting off fireworks and having a ball for the better part of the evening, although it had all seemed to get quiet by the time we made it to bed.

At about 11:30-11:45 I heard what sounded like someone trying to open our back door by rattling the door handle feverishly. I jumped out of bed to investigate. I have ran through this drill time and time again, always going smoothly....not this time. I had so much adrenaline pumping through my veins I did not know which way was up.

I fumbled to open my bedside safe (finger print-pop open safe) to gain access to my XD-45. After gaining access to my XD I approached the rear of my house in a ready position. I could hear the door knob jingle get louder and louder as I reached the rear of the house. All I could think is "Please go away, I do not want to have to take anyones life tonight."

Just as I reached our dining room the door slowly popped open...I yelled "Door opens any further, I will shoot to kill!" I must have sounded like a 5 year old my voice was trembling so badly. I could hear voices mumbling in a frantic manner soon followed my running and scrambling to leave.

I re-locked the door and did a quick sweep through the house before calling the police. When they arrived the did not find anything or anyone. I am kind of ashamed to admit but there was our spare key, still in the key hole. They must have found it on the back patio in our "hiding spot".

I dont know if it was just neighborhood kids out causing trouble, or if it might have been an honest burglery attempt. I do know that I will be installing a dead bolt tonight as soon as I get home on every door to our house to go along with the normal lock. And there will be no more "hididen spare keys" left outside.

I guess the whole point of my post....you can run through any scenerio you can think of time and time again, but when it comes down to it, you are never truely prepared. When action is needed, you gun gets heavier, your breathing harder, you concentration is there, but it is all a blur.

Yes, if anyone came into my house after I yelled at them I would have not hesitated to shoot....I do have a family to protect. Did I want to??? NO. I didnt sleep at all last night just thinking about what might have happen if things went differently. I guess this is just my little "wake-up" call to myself, and everyone else that might read this.

bohdi

imported post

Glad your safe. That's a pretty intense experience to say the least. Welcome to OCDO. Maybe you should post what city/state your in so your neighbors on the board are more "aware" as well....

Jblack44

imported post

Thanks for your story! First off, glad that you and your family are safe. That's always number #1!Thank you for the honesty of what happened. Even though you've run through the scenerio's several times, nothing beats reality! I can only imagine how you felt at the time. I think your training helped you out with telling the would be intruder that you will shoot to kill. And that in it's self was enough to deter them without incident. Even with the adrenaline pumping. Like yourself I hope I never have to shoot someone in self defense. But I know that I will if I have to. You never know if and when it can happen to you.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Good recollection and I can't say I'd have been any different. You were probably so hopped up on adrenaline at this point that it felt like one of those "is this really happening to me" kind of situations.

I guess you learned your lesson with regards to locks, and spare keys with no harm done and unlike the vast majority of people, you WERE prepared to protect yourself, your wife and junior. Those three things are the only consideration you needed to have at the time. If whoever was coming in had kept coming and wound up with a hot lead injection, that wouldn't be your fault it would have been his for putting himself in harms way.

Glad to hear everything worked out and hopefully at least those thugs will not go near your place again.

Flintlock

imported post

Interesting story and I am glad it turned out just fine. Were you able to actually see anyone and provide a detailed description for the police?

Did you find that the bedside safe was problematic for accessor did that function as you would have envisioned during a situation?

Also, as for the leaving the key outside scenario, perhaps you should try this instead.

http://www.hitchsafe.com/

Dixienormas

imported post

Never seen anyone, just heard voices and scuffling to run off. That is a great idea for the keys, also I have a detatched garage out back, I have been thinking about putting on one of those key pads for the garage door and keeping a spare set hidden in there.

And the bed side safe works like a charm every time, scans your index finger and pops right open.....but in a rush, nothing works out like you practice...i couldn't get my index finger in the right spot immediatly like i have practiced and practiced.....but i eventually got it.

If it wasnt for the kiddos I would have it laying on the night stand. But the safe is there for a reason, and I use it. Hard when in a rush.

Its a great safe by the way.

http://www.nationwidesafes.com/biometric-pistol-safe-1975.html

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am happy for you that nobody was injured and you did not have to make the ultimate decision of taking someone elseslife in defense of your own.

Although most of my collection is locked in a proper safe, we do have a few strategically placed firearms in the house available for immediate use. With your child still being too young to get at some common firearm"Hiding Places", may I suggest you keeping your security gun in a location that does not require a safe to be opened. I just do not trust electronic safes in times of need. If the printID system was to malfunction your harrowingtale could have ended in a much different way.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I am happy for you that nobody was injured and you did not have to make the ultimate decision of taking someone elseslife in defense of your own.

Although most of my collection is locked in a proper safe, we do have a few strategically placed firearms in the house available for immediate use. With your child still being too young to get at some common firearm"Hiding Places", may I suggest you keeping your security gun in a location that does not require a safe to be opened. I just do not trust electronic safes in times of need. If the printID system was to malfunction your harrowingtale could have ended in a much different way.
My issue with the biometric type safes is...

What will you do if the safe is programmed to accept your index finger and your index finger is damaged, burned, cut off.... anything that PREVENTS THE SAFE SENSOR FROM RECOGNIZING YOUR INDEX FINGER?

TehGruu

imported post

Glad you're ok man! And hey, don't fault yourself, you did something that many are unable to do. You acted. Yes, fear was there, but you pushed it aside and made yourself move. YOU are the first line fo defense for your family. I tip my hat to you sir. I have a similar story I'll post myself.

Dixienormas

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

What will you do if the safe is programmed to accept your index finger and your index finger is damaged, burned, cut off.... anything that PREVENTS THE SAFE SENSOR FROM RECOGNIZING YOUR INDEX FINGER?

Well with my safe you can program up to 30 prints.....Hell program all your fingers and toes.......If you are in bad enough shape that you cant get one out of 20 scanned....your in some bad shape and a gun ain't gonna do you much good!

swatspyder

imported post

Dixienormas wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

Well with my safe you can program up to 30 prints.....Hell program all your fingers and toes.......If you are in bad enough shape that you cant get one out of 20 scanned....your in some bad shape and a gun ain't gonna do you much good!
It's not so much about the prints as it is about the electronics becoming disabled in any way.

gravedigger

imported post

I have exterior cameras mounted and watching every entry door and window. Some of them have audio that comes into my bedroom over desktop speakers. Yes, I am awakened momentarily by the infrequent cat fight and the occasional passing Harley, but someone would be hard pressed to fiddle with my doors or my truck without me hearing and seeing them. The 20" flat panel monitor is on my nightstand. All of the cameras are displayed, and the motion sensor records anything that moves in any of the video images. I have a dedicated computer tower in my bedroom just for the cameras. X-10 motion sensors set off a loud beeper when someone gets into an area that a casual passerby would never find himself in, so if they set of the beeper, they sure as Hell can't convince me that they were "just cutting across my property." The beeper tells me they were there intentionally.

With kids in the house it is difficult to sleep soundly with a gun resting on a nightstand next to your bed, but I agree with others about the futility of relying on electronics in an emergency. You need to find some way to access that gun quickly and dependably. Suppose you had a bandage on your finger from a paper cut, or you have hit that finger with a hammer earlier that day, and now it is red and swollen, and the bio reader cannot recognize the fingerprint? Will you think ahead to reprogram the device to another finger? Suppose the batteries fail and you can't get it open?

Emergency key? WHY is it always hidden close to the door? I have an emergency key that is a 3 minute walk from my home. It is attached with a thumbtack to the bottom of a large wooden county barricade! No I.D. on the key, so if someone finds it, they'll have about a thousand locks around to try it in. An emergency key does not need to be close to your home, unless it is there for quick access (grandma had a heart attack, or your neighbor's kitchen is billowing smoke from the window ...) You could hang that key on a nail in a tree four blocks from your home and still have it if you need it. Get creative!

I'm glad everything came out okay.

hamourkiller

imported post

I am with gravedigger and have security cameras around the perimitter and one showing the back two entrances to the house. It is a tremedous stress reliever to be able to see what is making noise.

The wife watched one guy at 11PM peek in several windows, called he police and lined him up with the car-15 and waited. He eventually left and had a long talk with the sherrif and a neighbor back in the river bottom. He never came back.

Point of mywifes experience,is how in-control theshe felt by being armed and informed of his position. I highly recomend the camera option.

You did great and no one got hurt! No matter how many second guesses you ask yourself, just remember that central point. Family secured and no one hurt!

Elkad

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
Emergency key? WHY is it always hidden close to the door?
Some people use their "emergency key" entirely too often, like to avoid walking back around to the front door which they unlocked and came out.

I'd never thought to put it down the road a ways, but I've put it under my trailer (remove underpinning, squirm on belly under frame rail 18" off the ground) or in the Rottweiler's doghouse.

A combo-lock box for the key works great as well. Mine is in an odd place. Not hard to find, but I also picked a spot where it would be hard to get a hammer or prybar on it. I can give access to the house over the phone (including to the police if I was holed up inside), and the combination is easy to change.