• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sussex Lions Days

protias

imported post

It is coming up next weekend, July 10-12 at Sussex Village Park. They do have a beer tent, which you cannot take your beer out of, so I am wondering if I would be allowed to carry a firearm at Sussex Village Park.

I know at the very least I'll be wearing my holster, OC tshirt, and OC cap.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From the Sussex ordinances found here:

http://www.village.sussex.wi.us/Ordinances.php
9.01 DISCHARGING AND CARRYING FIREARMS AND GUNS PROHIBITED. No person, except a sheriff, constable, police officer or their deputies, shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun of any description, bow and arrow or sling shot within the Village or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his possession or under his control, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, provided this section shall not prevent the maintenance and use of duly supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the Village Board except as herein provided:
19.18 USE OF FIREARMS AND FIREWORKS; HUNTING WITH BOW AND ARROW; TRAPPING. No person shall carry, fire, or discharge any gun, pistol, or firearm, nor shall any person hunt with bow and arrow within any park or parkway. The word "gun" shall include air gun. No person shall discharge fireworks of any description except with permission from the Board.
IANAL, but as I see it, both ordinances are pre-empted so as long as there isn't a school zone issue, you should be good to go.

AaronS

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
From the Sussex ordinances found here:

http://www.village.sussex.wi.us/Ordinances.php
9.01 DISCHARGING AND CARRYING FIREARMS AND GUNS PROHIBITED. No person, except a sheriff, constable, police officer or their deputies, shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun of any description, bow and arrow or sling shot within the Village or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his possession or under his control, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, provided this section shall not prevent the maintenance and use of duly supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the Village Board except as herein provided:
19.18 USE OF FIREARMS AND FIREWORKS; HUNTING WITH BOW AND ARROW; TRAPPING. No person shall carry, fire, or discharge any gun, pistol, or firearm, nor shall any person hunt with bow and arrow within any park or parkway. The word "gun" shall include air gun. No person shall discharge fireworks of any description except with permission from the Board.
IANAL, but as I see it, both ordinances are pre-empted so as long as there isn't a school zone issue, you should be good to go.
Yep, that old law is no good after 66.0409... I did send out e-mails to everyone on the Sussex board aboutone months ago (asking that it be removed). So I do know that the law should be informed by now.

protias

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Great, just great. :cuss:

I had no idea they had a school attached to the church.

maps
villageparkschoolzone.png

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Using Google Earth, the back ball diamonds would be within 1000 feet of the school zones.

Check out Sussex Wisconsin on Google Earth and get your measurements. Then you will know how far into the park you can go. Print out a copy and CYA

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't print out a map, that does exactly the opposite of CYA.
948.605 Gun−free school zones.
[align=left](2)
POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is guilty of a Class I felony.[/align]

protias

imported post

I'm taking measurements from the edge of the property from Faith Lutheran and it looks like the 1000' rule covers the entire area. I know Peace Lutheran and Maple Elementary School cover the back diamonds, also, there is always a softball game on the SW diamond and alcohol is served there.

protias

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Great tool isn't it?
Yes, very helpful to keep me out of trouble. Looks like I'll just wear my OC.org shirt and hat, along with an empty holster.

protias

imported post

Well, I had my hat on and an empty holster. No one asked me if I was a police officer, no one hassled me, no questions on why I had an empty holster. I even walked right into the beer tent and got no reaction from anyone. Pretty boring.