• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any suggestions,for Open Carry holster for 1911 and magazines

CumminsDiesel

imported post

I've got a Dan Wesson classic its the commander style. Does anyone have any recommendations for holsters and magazinez?

Thanks

Michigander

imported post

There are hundreds of holsters that will fit a 1911. The cheapest option that has a level II retention system will be a Serpa. As for mag pouches, I use USMC surplus 1911 double mag pouches. You can usually get them for 1-6 bucks, and they are made out of extremely durable canvas. Definitely tough to beat for the price.

Marco

imported post

How much do you want to spend?

[align=center]
erwb1r1a.jpg
[/align]

reconvic

imported post

I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander and for open carry I use the CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER, it stays close to the body, for CC. I use the Royal Guard INP holster.
It works well for me, I do not like Kydex holsters much because that in time will show wear marks on your pistol.
S/F. Vic

Michigander

imported post

It would help if you could be more specific about what you're looking to accomplish with a new rig. Do you want to OC only? Do you want to be able to CC at times? Do you have a preference for how high or how low the holster should ride on your hip? Do you want a system well suited to being left on a dedicated gun belt? Are you concerned about the finish on your gun being worn off by holster wear? Is cheaper better, or are you eager to spend on the higher end of your price range?

CumminsDiesel

imported post

Michigander wrote:
It would help if you could be more specific about what you're looking to accomplish with a new rig. Do you want to OC only? Do you want to be able to CC at times? Do you have a preference for how high or how low the holster should ride on your hip? Do you want a system well suited to being left on a dedicated gun belt? Are you concerned about the finish on your gun being worn off by holster wear? Is cheaper better, or are you eager to spend on the higher end of your price range?

I'm in L.A. so I don't have a CCW and will probably never get one. So this would be open carry only. High on the hip would work better for me, and a dedicated gun belt is fine also. I'd rather not have a holster that ruins the finish on my 1911, and after reading more and doing additional research I do like the Mernickle holsters, and I don't mind spending money because of the value. The one setup that Agent19 posted is great, but I'm not sure how that sits, I wish I saw that on someone's person...

Michigander

imported post

What I'd want in that setting is a really fast draw with adequate retention.

Because of the absurd and unconstitutional (and therefor illegal in my opinion) requirement to have the gun unloaded, I'd want a Serpa, because as I understand it, Serpa's can give you level 2 retention with the slide locked back. (I may be wrong about that, and I'm sure I'll be told if I am). As I'm sure you know, the advantage to the slide being locked back is that you need not be disarmed for a 12031 check because it's plain as day to see it's unloaded, and additionally it's much faster to load.

The downside to Serpa's is that they have terrible insides which will mar the finish with use. I feel it's a small price to pay in your situation. However, if you don't mind having the slide closed and definitely want the finish protected, another retention option is the various Safariland designs. They won't retain your gun with the slide back, but they are suede lined to protect the finish, and among the best retention holsters on the market.

If you just want something pretty, there is no shortage of fine quality leather available. You can always end up doing the normal thing which is to have like 5 different holsters, each with its own purpose.

Here are a couple links to show you what I'm talking about:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2088.php

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6378

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0050116228866a&navCount=0&podId=0050116&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=serpa%20cabelas&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true