• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PSP License Statistics

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Although an LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) isn't required for straight Open Carry on a statewide basis, it is required for carry in a vehicle (car, SUV, whatever, open or concealed), carry in Philadelphia (open or concealed) or carrying during a declared state of emergency.

The latest 2008 statistics with a county-by-county listing of LTCFs issued can be found here: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/477265/pennsylvania_state_police_2008_firearms_annual_report_pdf

LTCFs are good for five years, so to get a reasonably accurate number of LTCFs in force, one has to add up the numbers from 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2004.

Based on the preceding (627,035 LTCFs), and the estimated state population (12,448,292 people), 5.04% of all Pennsylvanians have an LTCF. That works out toone LTCF for every 19.85 people (at least that's what my spreadsheet program tells me).

CowboyKen

imported post

Sir,

How do you account for non-residents, like me, who have obtainedPennsylvania LTCFsin your calculaton of percentages?

Ken

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

How do you account for non-residents, like me, who have obtainedPennsylvania LTCFsin your calculaton of percentages?
You don't, really. Unfortunately, the PSP statistics don't show the out-of-staters, so the numbers and percentages and ratios end up being a close approximation.

With over 600,000 licenses issued over a five-year spread, would out-of-state issuances really affect the percentages and ratios? Not too much, I think.

Quite possibly, more Pennsylvanians have LTCFs than the total number of New Yorkers, New Jersians and New Englanders combined.

c45man

imported post

That is a very impressive number and percentage. 5% of the total population is just that, children inclusive who can't get a permit. Pennsylvania leads the nation in both number and percentage of licenses to carry firearms. I believe, the last time I looked, Indiana was second. Although at this point in time Florida has to be high in both categories.