• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Watch Yourselves While OCing For Next Few Days

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A post on another forum jogged something for me.

I recall that last year we had a number of OCers detained, and maybe even one arrested while OCing across the July 4 holiday last year.

A couple, if I recall, occurred at public gatherings like in the final bit of daylight before the fireworks show.

Takeyour voice-recorder with you, if legal in your state.

Be smart.

Run through yourpolice encounter verbal tactics in your mind a few times.

Stayalert so you see any police encounter coming.

Oh, didI mention take your voice-recorder with you? We've never had an OCer say after a police encounter, "Boy, am I ever glad I left my voice-recorderat home."

Have a good time.

Michigander

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
Searching for a recorder that CANNOT be turned off without a digital password or something that a "cop" can't figure out.

Sounds like a mod that a serious computer expert should be able to figure out on an existing model.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Michigander wrote:
gravedigger wrote:
Searching for a recorder that CANNOT be turned off without a digital password or something that a "cop" can't figure out.
Sounds like a mod that a serious computer expert should be able to figure out on an existing model.

I don't know that I would bother too much.

If he can't turn it off or erase the file, the recordercan still just "disappear."

This is the main reasoning behind off-site recording storage--digital signal sent to a server or recording device somewhere that takes a long time to locate and a warrant to get to.

This is alsoa bigreason to be politeand thoughtful during a police encounter. If you are arrested, the search-incident-to-arrest will put the voice recorder into police hands.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Someone in the WI thread posted a telephone number with a recording system at the other end that was set up by a firearms rights org. on the east coast.

By using that system, a guy could set the number on speed-dial for his cell-phone, dial that and be able to conduct off-site recording. This way the police would not be able to access or delete the audio without getting somewarrants.

I'll see if I can dig up the phone number and post it here, I think a few donations would be much appreciated by whoever maintains that service.

I wonder if there is a web-based app to do the same thing, or how difficult it would be to develop a web-based app. for this purpose??? Any web geeks want to chime in on the feasibilty of this??

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Someone in the WI thread posted a telephone number with a recording system at the other end that was set up by a firearms rights org. on the east coast.

By using that system, a guy could set the number on speed-dial for his cell-phone, dial that and be able to conduct off-site recording. This way the police would not be able to access or delete the audio without getting somewarrants.

I'll see if I can dig up the phone number and post it here, I think a few donations would be much appreciated by whoever maintains that service.

I wonder if there is a web-based app to do the same thing, or how difficult it would be to develop a web-based app. for this purpose??? Any web geeks want to chime in on the feasibilty of this??
Weird, I posted asking about this in two other threads today.

http://www.callrecordercard.com/

I'm gonna have to change my screen name.:)

buster81

imported post

I just went through a random stop on the west side of Richmond. I'd say there were about 25 to 30 cruisers present. I was asked for license and registration, then a bunch of questions about where I was going, where I had been etc.I didn't really answer those. No questions at all about weapons.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smoking357 wrote:
gravedigger wrote:
An "on/off switch" should satisfy that.
Oh hoh! :lol:

Not too far from the truth, based on a couple of interactions I've been witness to.

Alexcabbie

imported post

What? legal carry is suspended ON THE BIRTHDAY OF AMERICAN FREEDOM??? Horse crap.

The Commander in Chief who has been so fawningly described as the most popular President EVER would not, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF THE USNA, permit the graduating Midshipmen to wear their ceremonial swords to their grduation since His High Majesty would be speaking there.

It is not new. When Bill "BJ" Clinton went to speak to our warriors, the Secret Service confiscated the bolts to their weapons. This in the face of the fact that as defenders of the Constitution these troops would havebeen commanded to lay down their lives for him. And arguably would have done a better job of protecting him than the SS ever could have.

If I spotted someone fixing to gun down Obama, I would get between him and the bullet. Make no mistake, I freaking DESPISE Obama and I wish we could ship videos back in time to the rust-belt voters who put him over the top. BUT he is OUR president (choke, gag) and for this red-hot second that is that. This is the position of a former military man.

As far as Independence Day goes, at some point I am likely to be crocked out of my mind. I will NOT be OCing at that time (or carrying any weapon at all). But you daddis and mommies out there who will be stone-cold sober have the same right to protect you and yours as you do every other day of the year. Independence Day is ome helluva effed up time to surrender it, for any reason.

Thundar

imported post

gravedigger wrote:

I have 2voice recorders, one that will be found and one that may not. Also trying to figure out how to autotransmit voice from Palm Pre. (Lockingthe Preis a snap, but auto transmitting voice is not.)

Remember to get fresh batteries for the recorder(s)!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm seriously considering something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-4GB-MP3-Player-Spy-Voice-Recorder-Wrist-Watch_W0QQitemZ220428835317QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Players?hash=item33529519f5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

They even make them with video cameras.

codename_47

imported post

Those are really nice, just make sure you can put them into operation quickly.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
What? legal carry is suspended ON THE BIRTHDAY OF AMERICAN FREEDOM??? Horse crap.

The Commander in Chief who has been so fawningly described as the most popular President EVER would not, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF THE USNA, permit the graduating Midshipmen to wear their ceremonial swords to their grduation since His High Majesty would be speaking there.

It is not new. When Bill "BJ" Clinton went to speak to our warriors, the Secret Service confiscated the bolts to their weapons. This in the face of the fact that as defenders of the Constitution these troops would havebeen commanded to lay down their lives for him. And arguably would have done a better job of protecting him than the SS ever could have.

If I spotted someone fixing to gun down Obama, I would get between him and the bullet. Make no mistake, I freaking DESPISE Obama and I wish we could ship videos back in time to the rust-belt voters who put him over the top. BUT he is OUR president (choke, gag) and for this red-hot second that is that. This is the position of a former military man.

As far as Independence Day goes, at some point I am likely to be crocked out of my mind. I will NOT be OCing at that time (or carrying any weapon at all). But you daddis and mommies out there who will be stone-cold sober have the same right to protect you and yours as you do every other day of the year. Independence Day is ome helluva effed up time to surrender it, for any reason.
Sorry, but this story about the midshipmen was reported to be a hoax. I've forgotten the details already, but I believe the real story is that they never wear their swords to graduation. (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_obama_order_a_swordless_graduation_at.html)

ODA 226

imported post

Tess wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

Sorry, but this story about the midshipmen was reported to be a hoax. I've forgotten the details already, but I believe the real story is that they never wear their swords to graduation. (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_obama_order_a_swordless_graduation_at.html)
Tess,

Factcheck.org is owned by Obama supporters! These are the same people that "verified" Obama's (fake) birth certificate!

Tomahawk

imported post

Okay, this is a simple thread telling people to be careful with all the extra police presence around July 4th events. How dod it morph so fast into a wackjob conspiracy thread?

Back on topic: I find the two biggest problems with voice recorders is that they are inconvenient to carry and that they take too long to activate.

On the first point, I have a very small, lightweight recorder, but I also have a cellphone, a pistol, and usually a spare mag. Trying to wear all that crap makes me feel like I'm putting on Bruce Wane's utility belt. When it comes time to shed some gear, guess which one goes first? I tend to wear pants or shorts with extra "cellphone pockets" which makes it a little easier, but still, I'm always looking for smaller and lighter. I might get one of those pen recorders you see at www.thinkgeek.com, but then of course I have to wear a shirt with a breast pocket.

The second point is important, too. If you have to fumble and search for buttons ona device in your pocket when the cop is approaching you, it's too late! Especially since he's going to wonder what you're doing in your pocket or with that thing on your waist next to a...IS THAT A GUN? My recorder is pretty simple to activate, as long as you remember the button sequence.

Finally, you have to train yurself to turn it on when the time comes. I got pulled over once for a traffic stop, and I didn't think about the recorder clipped to my visor until after the stop had ended. Doh!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Tess,
Factcheck.org is owned by Obama supporters! These are the same people that "verified" Obama's (fake) birth certificate!
Source two

Source three - snopes.com

I'm not going to play conspiracy theorist. While I dislike Obama as much as most on these boards, it's important that facts take precedence over rumor. After all, isn't this also what we complain about the antis - that they won't let a few facts stand in their way?

Out here.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Back on topic: I find the two biggest problems with voice recorders is that they are inconvenient to carry and that they take too long to activate.
My voice recorder is an MP3 player with 4 gigs of storage... it will record approxemately 69 hours, 30 minutes of highest-quality stereo voice recordings you can ask for... so... get one like mine, turn it on when you leave the house... if you don't encounter anyone durring your outting... erase and start again.