• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Terrier

TehGruu

imported post

Afterreading some of the other stories of close calls I figured I would share some of mine. This happened a couple of months ago.

I'm renting a house here in Waco, TX. I used to have a roommate until he up and bailed on me. Man, I could tell you some crazy stuff about both him and his girlfriend, but I'll spare you. Anyway, I found out from a mutual friend that he had skipped outto moveto FL to avoid paying his share of the bills. I was a little upset, but relieved at the same time. However, one thing bothered me. There were several times he brought unsavory people into the house.

I also was worried that he might come back while I was at work to try and clean me out of the few valuables I have. I work a night shift by the way, midnight to 8 a.m. Also, I was worried that he might have left a key with some of the undesirables that he used to hang out with. The window that wasn't secure in his room bothered me too. So, I took the night off of work to stay home and keep watch until I could secure the window and change the lock the next day.

Pulling guard duty with me was my Sig Pro 2022 9mm loaded with Hornady Critical Defense and my two dogs. A chihuahua and a rat terrier. Don't laugh.We got them when I was married and Itook them with me when I got divorced. Well, the night started coming on. I was sitting in the living room in my underwear with the lights out like a crazy person. I started getting sleepy at about 3 a.m.

4 a.m. and I was awoken by Daisey, my rat terrier. The way she woke me up though, was the cool part. She didn't freak out and start barking which would have kept me from hearing what was going on and what alarmed her in the first place. Now, in the daylight hours, if there is a knock at the door she will start barking if I make a move to answer it. If I don't move, she don't move. Her movement was what woke me up. I heard the noise too coming from the spare bedroom

I went into action. I grabbed my Sig and got into a stance and started to advance from the living room to the hall. Clearing open areas before I advanced, Daisey took point. Lol, we were moving like a tactical team up to the door. She went to the bottom corner and didn't make a sound at all. She just cocked her head and waited for me. My heart started racing and the adrenaline was flowing. I grabbed the door knob and slowly turned it. In one movement I pushed it open and entered the room doing a sweep with the Sig. I'll tell you, those night sights are nice. While I was sweeping Daisey charged in and ran to the window. She was still silent. The room was empty. I turned on the light and saw the hair on her back was sticking up and she had her ears pinned back.

Man, I'll tell you something. She may not be some badass german shepard trained attack dog, but I was so amazed to see that little dog wasready to go toe to toe with whatever may have been threatening my life. It was pretty cool.

The source of the noise was a screen that had came off the window pane, caught on a tree branch and the wind was making it tap against the glass. If this was due to someone trying to enter, I'll never know. That morning I ended up heading to the store to get a new deadbolt, secured the window, and bought Daisey a big ole hamburger, with cheese and the works. Needless to say, I sleep a lot easier having her around. I love that little dog.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good story - I like your style........and Daisy's too.:D

PS - let Daisy pick your roommates in the future.

Yata hey

TehGruu

imported post

Man's best friend. Daisey Dog. The Chiuahua, Meeka is in the background.

Daisey1.jpg

Daisey2.jpg

Riana

imported post

Rat terriers are loyal little beasties, for sure. We used to have a fox terror... I mean, terrier :lol:- also a clever and loyal critter, when he wanted to be.

TehGruu

imported post

Well, on the plus side, the little terriers are cheaper to feed than a rotty or shepard.

TehGruu

imported post

jayspapa wrote:
I have a Jack Russel also. They have the heart of a lion and are great protectors.

All of the terriers I have seen are great dogs. Glad your window incedent turned out ok.

Me too, lol! Thanks.

-Gruu

tntorqu

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Afterreading some of the other stories of close calls I figured I would share some of mine. This happened a couple of months ago.

I'm renting a house here in Waco, TX. I used to have a roommate until he up and bailed on me. Man, I could tell you some crazy stuff about both him and his girlfriend, but I'll spare you. Anyway, I found out from a mutual friend that he had skipped outto moveto FL to avoid paying his share of the bills. I was a little upset, but relieved at the same time. However, one thing bothered me. There were several times he brought unsavory people into the house.

I also was worried that he might come back while I was at work to try and clean me out of the few valuables I have. I work a night shift by the way, midnight to 8 a.m. Also, I was worried that he might have left a key with some of the undesirables that he used to hang out with. The window that wasn't secure in his room bothered me too. So, I took the night off of work to stay home and keep watch until I could secure the window and change the lock the next day.

Pulling guard duty with me was my Sig Pro 2022 9mm loaded with Hornady Critical Defense and my two dogs. A chihuahua and a rat terrier. Don't laugh.We got them when I was married and Itook them with me when I got divorced. Well, the night started coming on. I was sitting in the living room in my underwear with the lights out like a crazy person. I started getting sleepy at about 3 a.m.

4 a.m. and I was awoken by Daisey, my rat terrier. The way she woke me up though, was the cool part. She didn't freak out and start barking which would have kept me from hearing what was going on and what alarmed her in the first place. Now, in the daylight hours, if there is a knock at the door she will start barking if I make a move to answer it. If I don't move, she don't move. Her movement was what woke me up. I heard the noise too coming from the spare bedroom

I went into action. I grabbed my Sig and got into a stance and started to advance from the living room to the hall. Clearing open areas before I advanced, Daisey took point. Lol, we were moving like a tactical team up to the door. She went to the bottom corner and didn't make a sound at all. She just cocked her head and waited for me. My heart started racing and the adrenaline was flowing. I grabbed the door knob and slowly turned it. In one movement I pushed it open and entered the room doing a sweep with the Sig. I'll tell you, those night sights are nice. While I was sweeping Daisey charged in and ran to the window. She was still silent. The room was empty. I turned on the light and saw the hair on her back was sticking up and she had her ears pinned back.

Man, I'll tell you something. She may not be some badass german shepard trained attack dog, but I was so amazed to see that little dog wasready to go toe to toe with whatever may have been threatening my life. It was pretty cool.

The source of the noise was a screen that had came off the window pane, caught on a tree branch and the wind was making it tap against the glass. If this was due to someone trying to enter, I'll never know. That morning I ended up heading to the store to get a new deadbolt, secured the window, and bought Daisey a big ole hamburger, with cheese and the works. Needless to say, I sleep a lot easier having her around. I love that little dog.
i have a very good imagination. But reading this made my heart beating fast. I love these kinds of stories.

okboomer

imported post

Good Daisey, good owner ... the perfect reward! :celebrate

SO tells a story about his beagle mix Bosco when he was 8 years old. He lived on a farm and used to roam with the dog pack, of which Bosco was the pack leader. One day, he was out plinking with his Daisy BB gun and crossing through the ripe wheat when he literally ran into a badger. Now, for those who don't know, a badger in our part of the country is a 60 lb. viscious beast that will stand off (and win) a grizzly bear. They are very aggressive and will attack anything that moves.

SO's only option was to swing the barrel of the BB gun and whack the badger on the head with the stock. It completely demolished the BB gun, but as soon as he stunned the badger, the dog pack was on it tearing it to pieces, Bosco in the lead.

Our next dog will be a beagle :lol:

We currently have a lab mix that is one of the dumbest dogs either of us have ever known :Dbut he has loyalty oooozing out of every pore, so he has earned his place with us :lol:

The Wolfhound

imported post

I was at a lure coursing event (sort of a dog race) some years back and was chatting with the owners of several other wolfhounds and a 8 month old Smooth Fox Terrior and his owner came up to join the conversation. The terrior was out weighed about 12 to 1 by the smallest dog in the group, but his attitude was "Hey I'm a big dog too. I'm cool." He had to stand on his hindlegs to even sniff, but he was NOT intimidated. I was impressed.

TehGruu

imported post

Well, Daisey, Meeka, and myself are settled into a new place. So far no naked Glock or cool guard terrier stories to tell. Well, aside from Daisey dispatching things that scurry about the house during winter. But, that's a good thing. Peace is nice. :cool:

-Gruu

CUOfficer

imported post

That's a great story. My boston terrier and miniature dachshund pull guard duty at my house. Who would have know that such small dogs would be so effective? Anyone that opens the gate to my yard gets pegged by them before they get to the door.