• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Manitowoc County (WI) open carry event for Saturday, July 4th, 2009

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I hope they have reconned the route and rally points to ensure no school zone violation.

--

http://www.htrnews.com/article/20090703/MAN0101/907030381/1358/MAN01

Groups plan Independence Day protests

By Sarah Millard • Herald Times Reporter • July 3, 2009

MANITOWOC — Pat Kohlman and Gregg Wolf are making a passionate stand for two separate issues Saturday, but they have one common goal: they want their voices to be heard.

"I think the timing is right," Kohlman said. "People just don't have a voice anymore, and we give them that voice."
Wolf is coordinating a "freedom march" to support the right to bear arms. The march originates at Sixth and Quay streets at 8:30 a.m. Marchers will return to the location after walking through the city.

"It is a demonstration of the Second Amendment … to show politicians and the general public that you don't have to sit and watch freedom get whittled away and being told it is for your own good," Wolf said "… We are celebrating and displaying Second Amendment activism."

Participants will open-carry handguns — no rifles or shotguns — as they peacefully walk through Manitowoc, Wolf said.

Wolf expects participants to remain with the group, ignore taunting, keep their gun holstered and not litter.

"We are not trying to see who can out-draw each other," Wolf said.

They also have to follow every aspect of the law, including properly transporting the firearms to the location. Felons cannot participate, he said.

"You have to be legal and carry legal," Wolf said.

Preregistration for the event is required by calling Wolf at (920) 682-2388 or at the Fish and Game headquarters in AAA Appliance at 115 N. 10th St. The march is not sponsored by any business or group, Wolf said.

Kohlman is organizing a TEA Rally from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Washington Park. The Manitowoc County Taxed Enough Already group aims to demonstrate that the government is too big, she said.

The group's main point is in their name, and members are making their stand "because the government is so big, we are taxed so much. If we could get a smaller government it would mean less taxes," Kohlman said.

The rally begins with an open mike at 5:30 p.m. A parade of signs will begin at 6:30 p.m.

TEA has received positive reactions from local politicians, including State Sen. Joe Leibham, R-Sheboygan, and State Rep. Bob Ziegelbauer, D-Manitowoc, Kohlman said.

"Their reaction is good," Kohlman said. "They like what they see. They are impressed with our party. We are not radical."

For information on the TEA rally, contact Kohlman at (920) 732-3200 or e-mail her at pattyk@lsol.net with the subject "TEA Party."

Sarah Millard: (920) 686-2105 or smillard@htrnews.com

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

There is no route defined. I hope these people understand the school zone law. Manitowoc is not far from me and this is the first I have heard of this event.

Edit:

I just spoke with one of the organizers and they are aware of the school zone laws and have in fact already moved the route to accommodate.

Not sure of how many are participating yet.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Manitowoc is not far from me and this is the first I have heard of this event.
Roughly 30 miles.
J.Gleason wrote:
You live near by Doug?
Doug Huffman wrote:
130 miles north.
I live 130 miles north of Manitowoc and of Chilton that is 30 miles west (of Manitowoc). I live on an Island accessible only by ferry, a round trip costs ~$45, much of why I don't often leave and then for urgent trips - medical et cetera.

AaronS

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Manitowoc is not far from me and this is the first I have heard of this event.
Roughly 30 miles.
J.Gleason wrote:
You live near by Doug?
Doug Huffman wrote:
130 miles north.
I live 130 miles north of Manitowoc and of Chilton that is 30 miles west (of Manitowoc). I live on an Island accessible only by ferry, a round trip costs ~$45, much of why I don't often leave and then for urgent trips - medical et cetera.

You live in the sticks man. What do you do when you want to hang with other people? I bet you have a great sunset, but no social life I'm guessing...

Next time my wife and I are going that far north, I'll let you know. We will take ya out for dinner, on the mainland.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

I'd be very interested in seeing the parade route. I cobbled up a little map with the school zones simply represented by 1000 ft. radius circles and there are quite a few of them. Of course the actual 1000 ft zones would be bigger than what I have represented here because they are measured from the boundries of the school yards, plus there may be more schools than Google Maps found.

Good luck and thanks for upholding the Second Amendment on Independence Day!!!!

Dave

[align=center]
vzcu15.jpg

[/align]

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

AaronS wrote:
What do you do when you want to hang with other people? I bet you have a great sunset, but no social life I'm guessing...

Next time my wife and I are going that far north, I'll let you know. We will take ya out for dinner, on the mainland.
You're very kind. But, we have a too(!) active social life and much of it begins in earnest today. 0700 Volunteer FD pancake breakfast. 1100 Rock Island fund raiser lunch. 1630 AmLegion fish boil. 1930 Am Legion Children's Parade 2130 Fireworks.

There is a community something almost every Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday night until Labor Day and plenty of tourists until Columbus Day. Mid-January a neighbor has a "Thank God its over" party and things get quiet for the winter and we can settle down to some serious socializing and drinking.

Tomorrow, a typical Sunday, we'll do Church, lunch out, dinner out and cards, eating and drinking with friends that spend the winters in Florida.

[Mandatory OT guns] I OC in public almost all day while I bush hogged and mowed the roadside. I mowed by hand. I probably waved to a hundred tourists and none gave any evidence of noticing my SA1911/SERPA.

Today I walked both sides of my 1250 feet of County W checking for trash while OC.

When my Town Cop sees me now he asks, "Ya packing?", usually in the Town office parking lot that is contiguous with the school's lot.

Please stop and visit if you are ever on the Island. There is always beer in the beer cooler and soft drinks for children. Any Islander can tell you where I live. He might spit tobacco juice afterwards.

JG

imported post

Jeez Doug That sounds like a great place. I thought I lived in a neat place here in Ark. Is your Island Washington Is? I remember going up there many years ago a couple of times with my folks when I was a little kid. Thats back when they had the old wood ferry boats. They had two dime slot machines on board. I discovered the little meat and cangoods ration tokens would work in the machines. Had a ball. They also had a tin can with a string on it. You threw it overboard when you needed a drink of water.:celebrate