• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive Encounter in Lynchburg Last Night

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The girlfriend and I had dinner at a local Mexican joint where we both open carried. To get a little walking in we headed down to the Wally-World nearby, where I headed directly for the sporting goods section to scope out the status of their ammunition selection. After scoping out the ammo supply and amazing seeing that they had a reasonable selection of both .40 S&W & .45 ACP I moved on to look at the Air-Soft guns nearby.

As I stood there looking at the Air-Soft stuff a young man (who turned out to be a Marine reservist) walked up looking at the stuff nearby and commented on where I might be able to find some better quality Air-Soft items since he said he had a fair bit of experience using them and buying them. In a friendly tone he then asked me "what is that you're carrying on your hip?" I responded that it was a Ruger P95. This lead to a goodconversation about not needing a CHP to carry openly and then even better onto the discovery thatopen carry is perfectly legal in places that serve alcohol. Unfortunately, he was another whowas ledby his CHP instructor to believe that all forms of carry are illegal in places serving alcohol. The girlfriend was in another nearby aisle and overheard me talking about firearm laws and wandered over in quick fashion to see what was happening only to discover that we hada nice cordial conversation going on. He eventually showed us he was carrying too and shortly afterward noticed the girlfriends openly carried Kahr.

We stood there and talked for probably 20 minutes or so andwe even had the opportunity to talk about the importance of carrying a digital voice recorder. He seemed to agree on the importance of having one since he'd recently had an issue with a Lynchburg cop who decided to act outside of the law (or so it appeared). The girlfriend and I invited him to visit this little spot on the web and filled him in on the OC dinners that go on in the surrounding area. All in all it was a good way to spend 20 minutes and was nice to run across a nice young patriot.

Marine, if you find your way over here, welcome!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

All right, now. This is getting entirely out of hand. Running into complete strangers who are carrying firearms for their personal protection at places where people congregate is a bit much. I mean.. before you know it, everyone will be carrying a sidearm and then what are the BG's and the politicians going to do???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
All right, now. This is getting entirely out of hand. Running into complete strangers who are carrying firearms for their personal protection at places where people congregate is a bit much. I mean.. before you know it, everyone will be carrying a sidearm and then what are the BG's and the politicians going to do???
They can both quit bothering us and get real jobs. :lol:

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As we left the Mexican restaurant that night, just prior to going to Wally World there were about a half-dozen thuggy lookingtypes hanging around the front door of the restaurant. Their eyes bugged out and several of them exclaimed quite loudly about how both of us just strolled on out with guns on our hips. Perhaps that should give them pause if their manner of action matches their social presentation.

This pause could of course be useful if they learn from it now and don't put themselves in a situation where a victim is forced to give them a permanent pause on life.