• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in winter clothes

Hillmann

imported post

I know this is a fairley new movement in Wisconsin but for thoes of ou who OC reguarly what do you plan to do in the winter. It seems kinda hard to OC when dressed in insulated bibs and a jacket that comes half way to your knees and is two inches thick. The only ways I can think of is to use a sadle sling or sew some type of attatchment points on to your winter cloathing. When I say sadle sling (that may or may not be the right term for it) I mean a sling that only attatches to the gun at one point (like the saddle ring on winchester 94).

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Well there is a thigh holster and there is also a tactical vest available that can be worn over a coat and has a built in holster on the front left or right side.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Many holsters are available with what's called a "jacket slot." It claps on to your belt, drop the gun down and out a few inches and creates an area for a jacket to go. This is an attachment for my serpa that I'll be getting come winter.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Jacket-Slot-Duty-Belt-Loop,839,82.htm

It will look like this.

18-1172-IMG1_L.jpeg

As you can see it creates a channel for your jacket to go. I have a full retention Uncle Mike's that I use for my Glock and it has the jacket slot feature. It works very well. Your other option is a thigh or "drop" holster but you may attract more than usual attention and it might be a little hard to wear in a vehicle.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have the "duty" holster from blackhawk. It hangs a little lower, and makes room for the jacket.

Now I get myself one of those ski jackets with the elastic waist and, and they are much shorter, and I'm good to go.

I also have a leather quick-draw rig for the .44 that allows even the heaviest hunting jacket to sit (inside) so as not to conceal. I carry the .44 that way every time I go gun hunting.

AaronS

imported post

I've been thinking of a good holster for my .44, but I have a scope on it. I have only seen about two holsters that fit it well. What do you have?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AaronS wrote:
I've been thinking of a good holster for my .44, but I have a scope on it. I have only seen about two holsters that fit it well. What do you have?

I have a custom made leather holster. The holster slides on/off the belt easily. It looks just like the holsters you see in the westerns.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but it was the only one I found that I liked.

Hugh, Max, skamp, shotgun, and Para, have all seen me with it.

I can also tell you, that there isn't any "nobody noticed" when carry the .44.

comp45acp

imported post

I have been giving this some thought as well because we want to continue the effort through the winter months and not let it die out. They make some very effective winter underwear now so this is what I am thinking-wear the high tech. underwear under a heavy (maybe insulated) shirt. In my case this will probably require having a pair of jeans one size larger to accommodate the extra bulk. Since we can't (yet) car carry anyway you could wear the coat in the car and then remove it at your destination and leave it in the car as you arm up. Reverse the procedure when you return. I think this may work in all but the most severe cold weather. http://www.duofold.com/

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I have one of these and its a very warm fleece. Definitely could be worn as a jacket in most weather right down to maybe 20 degrees.

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=SS%20690

On both sides it has a zipper at the hip that comes up about 6 inches or so along with a snap at the bottom. So you can actually (depending on your carry holster/assembly) button the bottom around a sidearm.

Here is a picture

AaronS

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Decided to try it again here with a large frame handgun, works just the same. I think it would work with any paddle or belt setup with the blackhawk serpa cqc holster
Not bad, that looks like it works well.

Hillmann

imported post

I guess when I asked the question I should have been more speceffic I was more intrested in oc when spending long amounts of time outside when it is cold (sub zerro) like fishing or hunting. Kind of like the jokewhen a guy has to pee in the winter, a three inch **** through six inches of clothes. With that in mind the only thing that would work would be the bradley but wouldn' allow a person to easley take of clothes when working hard to prevent sweating, or put them back on when resting or cold.

Passive101

imported post

Check out Safariland's website. They have a large number of duty holsters.