• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversion kit

sureshot

imported post

For those of you that have a Glock M 20 or M 21, in a copy of Combat Handguns they have what they call a "drop in conversion kit for the Glock 20 or 21 to convert itto a .50 calibersemi-auto. WOW!

reconvic

imported post

ROFLMAO, you think by any means you would be able to control a .50 in a Handgun without years of using that load and not be charged with excceive force?
S/F. Vic

smash29

imported post

reconvic wrote:
ROFLMAO, you think by any means you would be able to control a .50 in a Handgun without years of using that load and not be charged with excceive force?
S/F. Vic
Wikipedia:

The .50GI operates at pressures comparable to the .45 ACP, around 15,000 psi (100 MPa). Interestingly, felt recoil is also similar to the .45 ACP. The .50GI has quickly developed a reputation for accuracy, though this is due in no small part to the extreme precision with which the semi-custom and very expensive Guncrafter pistols are produced. The 300 grain (19 g) JFP (jacketed flatpoint) produces a 25-yard group of 2.24 inches, and the 300-grain JHP (jacketed hollowpoint) and 275-grain JHP produce a 25-yard group of only 1.14 inches. The penetration and delivered energy of this slower round is about the same as a .40 Smith and Wesson and .45 ACP cartridge. Despite its .50 caliber size, it is a far cry from the .50 Action Express and .500 S&W Magnum in terms of ft·lbs; however, it offers the practical use of a large caliber projectile never before seen in a semiauto handgun. Factory loaded ammunition has an impact force which ranges from .40 Smith and Wesson to lighter .357 Magnum rounds, topping out just below the 500 ft·lb mark.
Yeah, sounds like a real beast to shoot... :p

smash29

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
The penetration and delivered energy of this slower round is about the same as a .40 Smith and Wesson

Factory loaded ammunition has an impact force which ranges from .40 Smith and Wesson to lighter .

Then I'll just stick with my .40 S&W!

Yeah, I hadn't really looked into the particulars of the .50GI and the conversion kit until I got on this thread and after reading up on it I think I'll stick with the 10MM as my hand cannon.

Sheriff

imported post

If a bear is within 10 yards of attacking you, I doubt if his/her family members would ever prevail in an excessive force claim. :lol:

Alexcabbie

imported post

How about a drop-in conversion to .22LR for less exxpensive taget practice so you could be sure of hitting what you aim at?? As well as not shoving a quarter down a rathole every time you pull the trigger at the range??

reconvic

imported post

Well, if you are using a 1911 I high recommend a Marvel .22 Conversion, you will shoot better because same grip trigger pull, just no recoil. I shoot one and swear by it, though I do shoot my custom Ruger .22 at matches also. I see that Sig offers one now but I cannot give any feedback on it as of yet because I don't own one. I do have a AA for my Wife's Glock 19's and it is Ok but not as accurate.
S/F. Vic

Woodchuck

imported post

The penetration and delivered energy of this slower round is about the same as a .40 Smith and Wesson and .45 ACP cartridge. Despite its .50 caliber size, it is a far cry from the .50 Action Express and .500 S&W Magnum in terms of ft·lbs; however, it offers the practical use of a large caliber projectile never before seen in a semiauto handgun. Factory loaded ammunition has an impact force which ranges from .40 Smith and Wesson to lighter .357 Magnum rounds, topping out just below the 500 ft·lb mark.

Why the hell would I pay to lessen the effectiveness?

The whole point in me getting the 10mm was I didn't want the 40 Short and Weak. Now I can pay to get it converted to something comparable.....woo hoo.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
If a bear is within 10 yards of attacking you, I doubt if his/her family members would ever prevail in an excessive force claim. :lol:
Well I had no idea we were talking hunting lol.
S/F Vic:banghead:
What does defending yourself from a bear have to do withhunting?
one of the larger threats in my area is bears, and that is why I carry a .40 cal or larger handgun when I am out in their territory. And there has been plenty of times the bears have been infringing onmy territory too.

So the .50GI is a significantly lighter load than the .50AE?
I had a Desert Eagle and avoided the .50AE due to the exclusiveness of that round and the cost's associated with it. I instead went with the desert eagle in.41 Mag with a 6" & 10" barrel for it. It was fun to shoot, but too difficult to carry comfortably.

reconvic

imported post

It was a joke that is why I wrote LOL at the end.:banghead:
A little humor never hurts. In Arizona at least the area I live in to see a bear you have to go to the zoo.
S/F.Vic