• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nashville restaurant owner sues to stop concealed carry

TFred

imported post

Surprised nobody posted this yet... unless I missed it!

Guns and booze don't mix, lawsuit argues

Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:10pm EDT

By Pat Harris

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - A well-known restaurateur is fighting back against Tennessee's newly enacted law that allows gun owners to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

Randy Rayburn, owner of three top-rated restaurants in Nashville, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday challenging the state law's constitutionality, arguing it creates a public nuisance by threatening the safety of the public.

"If it's called a 'nuisance bar,' with shootings, it normally gets shut down. But in Tennessee, we apparently are going to have 225,000 vigilantes shooting in bars," said David Smith, Rayburn's attorney.

At least 200,000 Tennesseans have permits allowing them to carry their guns concealed while in public. The new law that takes effect on July 14 also specifies that persons who bring their guns into an establishment cannot drink alcohol.

Rayburn's lawsuit, filed in Davidson County Chancery Court, claims the law violates the constitutional rights of the owners, customers and employees of restaurants and bars.

The new law was pushed by the Tennessee Firearms Association. Its executive director, John Harris, said critics had every opportunity to defeat the legislation -- which state lawmakers passed with little opposition -- and should not turn to court action at this point.

There are 37 U.S. states that give most people who apply the right to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon. A few U.S. towns have tried to require residents to own guns.

A spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a gun control advocacy group, said Tennessee's law posed obvious risks.

"Any time you introduce guns into a situation where there's alcohol, where they can be fights, it's dangerous," spokesman Chad Ramsey said. "We've all been to bars. They get crowded and there's pushing and shoving sometimes. A situation that is ugly can become deadly."

Rayburn's lawsuit will receive a hearing on July 13, a day before the law is due to go into force.

(Additional reporting by Andrew Stern; Editing by John O'Callaghan)

Nashville restaurateur to fight state gun law

Suit will challenge measure's constitutionality

By Brad Schrade
THE TENNESSEAN

A well-known Nashville restaurant and bar owner plans to sue today to stop the state's new guns-in-bars law from taking effect later this month.

The case will center on claims that the law would create a public nuisance that threatens the safety of the public, and violates the constitutional rights of restaurant/bar owners, patrons and employees.

Randy Rayburn, owner of the Sunset Grill, Midtown Cafe and Cabana, said advocates pushing the law falsely claimed that nearly 40 other states had similar laws. He said the law creates increased liability for him and other owners and is a matter of public safety.

"They've told more fairy tales than the Brothers Grimm," Rayburn said. "Tennessee is the only state that has a law that specifically authorizes gun permit carriers to carry their weapons into establishments that serve 50 percent or more alcohol."

John Harris, the executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, which pushed for the law, said those pursuing the lawsuit are misguided and are trying to derail a legislative initiative that has been contemplated and discussed for more than a decade.

Harris said the idea that the legislature was not fully informed when it enacted the law last month after years of debate "borders on insanity." He said those pushing the suit had ample opportunity through the legislative process to make their arguments and to turn to the courts is an effort to derail the General Assembly's action.

"The problem is they don't get the opportunity to argue, particularly in a circumstance like this, that the legislature was somehow misled in making a policy decision," Harris said. "If no other state had this rule, Tennessee could adopt it and be the first. … The only real remedy they have is to go back to the legislature next year and persuade them they've made a bad policy decision and to change it."

New set of burdens

The lawsuit, to be filed in chancery court in Davidson County, will be the latest turn in one of the most controversial pieces of legislation from the most recent session. The law allows more than 200,000 handgun carry permit owners to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants. One provision of the new law is that any patron carrying a handgun can't consume alcohol.

Technically, in Tennessee, places that serve liquor are classified as restaurants because they also must serve food under the law. Owners of the establishments can place signs barring gun permit holders from bringing their weapons inside, but Rayburn's attorney said the law creates a new set of burdens for owners.

His attorney, David Randolph Smith, said the lack of legal distinction in Tennessee between restaurants and bars means that it is the first state to affirmatively say it is OK to bring guns in bars.

The law is set to take effect July 14, and the suit seeks a temporary restraining order until the case can go to trial to determine the law's constitutionality.

Smith said in this case the state would be aiding and abetting a public nuisance by allowing guns in bars.

"Courts have historically shut down bars with guns in them or where shootings occurred," Smith said. "It's called a nuisance bar. If a bar has shootings in it, it normally gets shut down. But in Tennessee we apparently are going to have 225,000 vigilantes shooting in bars."

Thundar

imported post

TFred wrote:

The law allows more than 200,000 handgun carry permit owners to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants. One provision of the new law is that any patron carrying a handgun can't consume alcohol......
So if I want to open carry and have a beer, I have to open carry a long gun, right?

Ocguy

imported post

TFred wrote:
I was coming here to do just that but checked first to make sure no one else had already done so.

I love this statement from the restaurant owner's attorney -

"But in Tennessee, we apparently are going to have 225,000 vigilantes shooting in bars," said David Smith, Rayburn's attorney."

Perfect example of the stupidity of anti-gun people.

Ocguy

imported post

Looks like Arizona is looking to do the same thing. Also check the last paragrapgh about not requiring permits to carry concealed.

Arizona moves to allow concealed guns in barsBy AMANDA LEE MYERS, Associated Press Writer Amanda Lee Myers, Associated Press Writer – SunJun28, 12:26pmET PHOENIX – There was a time in the Wild West that cowboys had to check their guns before they could pull up a bar stool for a drink — rules that protected against the saloon gunfights that came to define the frontier era in places like Arizona.
But a bill moving through the Arizona Legislature has some bar owners fearful that the state is turning back the clock to the Old West. Lawmakers are considering a bill that would allow anyone with a concealed-weapons permit to bring a handgun into bars and restaurants serving alcohol.

The bill gives bars discretion to keep gun-toting patrons out, and anyone with a weapon would not be allowed to drink. But the bill has angered bar owners who believe booze and guns are a recipe for disaster.

"This might be one of the stupidest things that I have heard of," said Mike Nelson, who owns Pomeroy's bar in Phoenix and plans to post a sign on his front door outlawing guns in his bar as soon as possible. "Can you think of a single reason guns and alcohol should be intertwined?"

The bill is part of a nationwide push by the National Rifle Association. Georgia passed a similar law in 2008, as did Tennessee earlier this year in becoming the 40th state to allow bar or restaurant patrons to carry guns.

"These laws are common sense," said NRA spokeswoman Rachel Parsons. "Restaurants are not immune to criminal activity. Law-abiding people — regardless of whether they're in restaurants, cars or homes — they should be able to protect themselves against criminal attack."

One of the bill's sponsors, Republican Rep. John Kavanagh, said it's about time Arizona passes such a law, and that the most important thing is that people carrying guns into bars aren't allowed to drink.

"You don't want intoxicated people with weapons, and this bill continues the prohibition against drinking and carrying," said Kavanagh, a retired police officer in New York and New Jersey. "What is the problem with having a gun in a delicatessen where someone is having a beer with their pastrami two tables away?"

The law would only apply to people with concealed-weapons permits because lawmakers say that type of gun owner has to pass a background check and take an eight-hour course to get their permits, and are therefore safer. More than 127,000 Arizonans have concealed-weapons permits, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Arizonans are also allowed to openly carry guns — on a belt or holster, for example. But those people would still not be allowed in bars or restaurants serving alcohol if they're armed.

The bill has been approved by the Senate and is now before the House; Republican Gov. Jan Brewer would still have to OK it.

Marc Peagler, owner of the Silver Spur Saloon Restaurant in Cave Creek outside Phoenix, said he's in favor of the legislation and sees some marketing potential in it.
"I look at it this way — let's just say for a moment you're a crook or a thief," Peagler said. "Are you going to break into a place where you know that there might be 10 to 15 people who are armed? I wouldn't do that."

Peagler, a gun owner himself, said people with concealed-weapons permits aren't people to be concerned about.

"People who carry concealed weapons for the most part are your general law-abiding citizens, and the people who are going to break the law are going to do it no matter what laws we have out there," he said. "If somebody has been drinking and they have a weapon in the car, they're just going to go out and get it."
Frank Murray, owner of Seamus McCaffrey's Irish Pub & Restaurant in downtown Phoenix, said he opposes the law and will prohibit his customers from coming in armed.

"It's kind of like the Wild West days," he said. "We've got enough nuts out on the street walking around with guns. We don't need them in places with alcohol and families."

The Arizona Licensed Beverage Association threw its support behind the bill after some compromises were made this week. The Arizona Restaurant Association has taken a neutral stance, but in previous years came out against most bills that would have allowed guns in bars and restaurants with alcohol.
This year's bill is one of several measures loosening gun laws moving through the Arizona Legislature.

In May, the House overwhelmingly approved a bill that would permit gun owners to keep a weapon out of sight in a locked vehicle in a parking lot or garage. That would override employers that ban weapons on their property.

Last week, a Senate committee approved a bill that would allow Arizonans to carry concealed weapons without state permits, despite objections from law enforcement.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Arizona Senate did approve the bill to allow for concealed carry without a permit (open carry without a permit is perfectly legal there), but it never made it past the House.

falcon1

imported post

Mike wrote:
I thought the law took effect on June 14.
That was the original effective date in the bill, but then Governor Bredesen vetoed it (despite a campaign pledge to sign exactly this legislation). The legislature overrode his veto, but it was then after 14 June. Under the Tennessee Constitution, the law goes into effect forty days after the override.

MITCH

imported post

His attorney, David Randolph Smith, said the lack of legal distinction in Tennessee between restaurants and bars means that it is the first state to affirmatively say it is OK to bring guns in bars.

Not true !! Even New York allows concelled carry in bars.

:D

Huck

imported post

Rayburn's lawsuit, filed in Davidson County Chancery Court, claims the law violates the constitutional rights of the owners, customers and employees of restaurants and bars.

And which "Constitutional rights" are those? I notice there was no mention as to which rights would be supposedly violated. FYI Randy; Ficticious "rights" do not over-ride real rights, like those guarenteed bythe second ammendment no matter what the little voices in your head tell you.

Sajuuk

imported post

Snip...:
Owners of the establishments can place signs barring gun permit holders from bringing their weapons inside
I don't understand why there is even a lawsuit. Just put up your sign so the criminals know where there won't be anyone to stop them.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Huck wrote:

And which "Constitutional rights" are those? I notice there was no mention as to which rights would be supposedly violated. FYI Randy; Ficticious "rights" do not over-ride real rights, like those guarenteed bythe second ammendment no matter what the little voices in your head tell you.

That's just it, his Constitutional rights aren't being violated. He still has the legal right, as a property/business owner, to bar firearms from his premises. Nothing is being shoved down his throat.

What he is trying to do is deny other business owners their right to decide for themselves if they want to allow HCP holders to enter their businesses armed.

Some one posted early in the comment section that this guys businesses aren't doing so well right now. I'm starting to think that maybe he knows the risk he takes in posting "NO FIREARMS" signs on his doors. I'm thinking he also realizes that his customer base may understand the risks they will be taking in being in a "GFZ", and might stop doing business with him.

Before he didn't have to take responsibilty to bar firearms, the state did that for him. Now, the responsibility (and possibly blame for injuries/death incurred) falls on him. He doesn't want to put up signs, marking an easy target for the criminals, while maybe the establishment next door hs no such postings.

Falcon118

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
imported post

I like this one better.

Rayburn said. "Tennessee is the only state that has a law that specifically authorizes gun permit carriers to carry their weapons into establishments that serve 50 percent or more alcohol."

In Pennsylvania, we can carry firearms CC or OC in ANY bar or restaurant regardless of percentage of alcohol sales. Also, while I don't drink while carrying, it is not against the law in PA to consume alcohol while carrying.

Maybe Mr Rayburn should do some research before bloviating as he has.

TFred

imported post

It appears to me that Tennessee, especially Memphis and Nashville, need some "special help" in understanding that people vote against stupid stuff like this with their dollars.

I'm too far away, but I sure hope there are some folks in the area who can call out the 2A supporters and make a clear difference.

TFred

FunkTrooper

imported post

Why does everyone assume that if you carry a gun your a vigilante, I've concealed carried in places that don't allow firearms as far as I'm concerned the whole point of conceal carry is that no one knows your carrying.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

TFred wrote:

Guns and booze don't mix, lawsuit argues

Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:10pm EDT

By Pat Harris

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - A well-known restaurateur is fighting back against Tennessee's newly enacted law that allows gun owners to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

Randy Rayburn, owner of three top-rated restaurants in Nashville, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday challenging the state law's constitutionality, arguing it creates a public nuisance by threatening the safety of the public.

"If it's called a 'nuisance bar,' with shootings, it normally gets shut down. But in Tennessee, we apparently are going to have 225,000 vigilantes shooting in bars," said David Smith, Rayburn's attorney.

At least 200,000 Tennesseans have permits allowing them to carry their guns concealed while in public. The new law that takes effect on July 14 also specifies that persons who bring their guns into an establishment cannot drink alcohol.

The new law was pushed by the Tennessee Firearms Association. Its executive director, John Harris, said critics had every opportunity to defeat the legislation -- which state lawmakers passed with little opposition -- and should not turn to court action at this point.

There are 37 U.S. states that give most people who apply the right to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon. A few U.S. towns have tried to require residents to own guns.

A spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a gun control advocacy group, said Tennessee's law posed obvious risks.

"Any time you introduce guns into a situation where there's alcohol, where they can be fights, it's dangerous," spokesman Chad Ramsey said. "We've all been to bars. They get crowded and there's pushing and shoving sometimes. A situation that is ugly can become deadly."

Rayburn's lawsuit will receive a hearing on July 13, a day before the law is due to go into force.

(Additional reporting by Andrew Stern; Editing by John O'Callaghan)

Nashville restaurateur to fight state gun law

Suit will challenge measure's constitutionality

By Brad Schrade
THE TENNESSEAN

A well-known Nashville restaurant and bar owner plans to sue today to stop the state's new guns-in-bars law from taking effect later this month.

The case will center on claims that the law would create a public nuisance that threatens the safety of the public, and violates the constitutional rights of restaurant/bar owners, patrons and employees.

Randy Rayburn, owner of the Sunset Grill, Midtown Cafe and Cabana, said advocates pushing the law falsely claimed that nearly 40 other states had similar laws. He said the law creates increased liability for him and other owners and is a matter of public safety.

"They've told more fairy tales than the Brothers Grimm," Rayburn said. "Tennessee is the only state that has a law that specifically authorizes gun permit carriers to carry their weapons into establishments that serve 50 percent or more alcohol."

John Harris, the executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, which pushed for the law, said those pursuing the lawsuit are misguided and are trying to derail a legislative initiative that has been contemplated and discussed for more than a decade.

Harris said the idea that the legislature was not fully informed when it enacted the law last month after years of debate "borders on insanity." He said those pushing the suit had ample opportunity through the legislative process to make their arguments and to turn to the courts is an effort to derail the General Assembly's action.

"The problem is they don't get the opportunity to argue, particularly in a circumstance like this, that the legislature was somehow misled in making a policy decision," Harris said. "If no other state had this rule, Tennessee could adopt it and be the first. … The only real remedy they have is to go back to the legislature next year and persuade them they've made a bad policy decision and to change it."

New set of burdens

The lawsuit, to be filed in chancery court in Davidson County, will be the latest turn in one of the most controversial pieces of legislation from the most recent session. The law allows more than 200,000 handgun carry permit owners to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants. One provision of the new law is that any patron carrying a handgun can't consume alcohol.

Technically, in Tennessee, places that serve liquor are classified as restaurants because they also must serve food under the law. Owners of the establishments can place signs barring gun permit holders from bringing their weapons inside, but Rayburn's attorney said the law creates a new set of burdens for owners.

The law is set to take effect July 14, and the suit seeks a temporary restraining order until the case can go to trial to determine the law's constitutionality.

Smith said in this case the state would be aiding and abetting a public nuisance by allowing guns in bars.

"Courts have historically shut down bars with guns in them or where shootings occurred," Smith said. "It's called a nuisance bar. If a bar has shootings in it, it normally gets shut down. But in Tennessee we apparently are going to have 225,000 vigilantes shooting in bars."
I refer to the enlarged red text above...

Just because a State does not have a law specifically allowing an individual with a Concealed Carry permit to be in a Bar does not mean that such action is illegal. Utah, for example has NO restrictions on a Concealed Carry permit holder from being in a bar or EVEN CONSUMING ALCOHOL. Just a law that makes it a crime to be intoxicated while armed. The limit is the same as for driving.

Seems to me that some States just try to make it TOO complicated and / or difficult!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Man, I've just been having myself a grand old time picking apart some of the asinine comments left in the comment section of the Tennessean story.

I suspect that the Brady Bunch or some other anti-gun group is financing this lawsuit and using Rayburn as a usefull idiot. Some one posted that he was having some financial difficulties with his restaraunts. Maybe he's seeking favor from the Obama Admin in the form of a bailout, by protesting this progun legislation.

buster81

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Man, I've just been having myself a grand old time picking apart some of the asinine comments left in the comment section of the Tennessean story.

I suspect that the Brady Bunch or some other anti-gun group is financing this lawsuit and using Rayburn as a usefull idiot. Some one posted that he was having some financial difficulties with his restaraunts. Maybe he's seeking favor from the Obama Admin in the form of a bailout, by protesting this progun legislation.
Wow, you have been busy. It begins to get old after a while though. At least it does for me. Trying to fix peoples thinking, that don't want to be fixed, is like taking a crack addict to a methadone clinic, when they don't want to be cured.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

Wow, you have been busy. It begins to get old after a while though. At least it does for me. Trying to fix peoples thinking, that don't want to be fixed, is like taking a crack addict to a methadone clinic, when they don't want to be cured.
I know what you mean, Buster. It can be frustrating sometimes. But I see it as a challenge to go head to head with these folks in a fashion that relies on facts rather than name calling, insults, and belittlement that many of them use. Even though I may not convert them, there's always the chance that I may reach readers of the comments that start to see through the lame rhetoric of the anti's.