Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Making statements on a public forum. My 1 1/2 cents.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    I have read statements on this forum and many others where people have said such things as,"Blowing people away", "I don't care, I will carry concealed" and similar statements. I personally don't care what you do. But if it's illegal or it might (more like WILL) be used against you in a court of law, for pete's sake don't tell the world about it. Do whatever you feel you must do, just use your brain. Don't be a macho guy, because when you are looking at a hefty legal bill and maybe jail time, you won't be so macho. Do whatever you have to do and ****. Not because I don't want to hear it, but because you might very well regret it in the future. It might be years from now. If you live in a smaller town and you open carry, you will be known to the LE community. The police might also read this and other forums. It is not that hard to figure out who you are. Just be careful what you write, because sometimes you can't delete it. This is not directed at anyone in particular, so don't think I'm trying to pick a fight.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    I didn't have anything to add, so I thought I would provide a little comic relief here...



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    County of San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    You make a very good point!



    crazyinca wrote:
    I have read statements on this forum and many others where people have said such things as,"Blowing people away", "I don't care, I will carry concealed" and similar statements. I personally don't care what you do. But if it's illegal or it might (more like WILL) be used against you in a court of law, for pete's sake don't tell the world about it. Do whatever you feel you must do, just use your brain. Don't be a macho guy, because when you are looking at a hefty legal bill and maybe jail time, you won't be so macho. Do whatever you have to do and ****. Not because I don't want to hear it, but because you might very well regret it in the future. It might be years from now. If you live in a smaller town and you open carry, you will be known to the LE community. The police might also read this and other forums. It is not that hard to figure out who you are. Just be careful what you write, because sometimes you can't delete it. This is not directed at anyone in particular, so don't think I'm trying to pick a fight.

  4. #4
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cupertino, California, USA
    Posts
    328

    Post imported post

    Theseus, you should use Flickr to host your photos.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Walton County, Georgia, ,
    Posts
    475

    Post imported post

    That's when you explain to your lawyer that it was just fiction. You don't say that to the police because you never ever talk to the police. Do you?

    Or if you want to talk to the police (Why would you do that?) you ask the officer, "Do you believe everything you read on the internet?"

    Or you start every post with "I know a guy who..." before you start your story.

    Whatever floats your boat I suppose.


  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    bad_ace wrote:
    Theseus, you should use Flickr to host your photos.
    Why? My website works fine?

  7. #7
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    bad_ace wrote:
    Theseus, you should use Flickr to host your photos.
    My employersnetwork filtered out your pic, but I can still see Theseus' pic. :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    N00blet45 wrote:
    That's when you explain to your lawyer that it was just fiction. You don't say that to the police because you never ever talk to the police. Do you?

    Or if you want to talk to the police (Why would you do that?) you ask the officer, "Do you believe everything you read on the internet?"

    Or you start every post with "I know a guy who..." before you start your story.

    Whatever floats your boat I suppose.
    Yes, I see your point. I gave very bad advice. I was trying to think ahead more than 5 minutes. You have shown me the error of my ways. Everybody, please disregard what I said. Instead follow the gentleman's advice. I will never speak out of turn again............well for at least 5 minutes.

  9. #9
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cupertino, California, USA
    Posts
    328

    Post imported post

    Theseus wrote:
    bad_ace wrote:
    Theseus, you should use Flickr to host your photos.
    Why? My website works fine?
    All I see for your pictures is a humming bird, here and other posts on OCDO. I thought maybe your website had hot linking images disabled.

  10. #10
    Regular Member stuckinchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stevenson, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial

  11. #11
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    stuckinchico wrote:
    I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial
    I think you missed the point.

    It doesnt matter whether or not the things you post on an internet forum are truthful or accurate (Or fictional and baseless.) Those who want to prosecute you arent going to sort through what you post trying to apply any test to determine if you mean it or not.

    If it is advantageous to their case, they will use it to change the juries perception of you to ensure a conviction. Your only defense against thisstrategy is to tell the jury to disregard what you wrote on the internetbecause you made it up. When consolidated with other facts of a case against you, its possible that the things you say or write will fill the gaps where 'reasonable doubt' would naturally flow through.

    There are appropriate times for 1st amendment expression, as well as appropriate times to assert 5th amendment prudence. Wisdom is knowing the difference in practice.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  12. #12
    Regular Member stuckinchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stevenson, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    Here I got a bottle of Midol, why dont you all just pass it around, take a couple pills and swallow it with a glass of ****:what:

    :celebrate
    LOl i had a girl tell me this case on point

  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    stuckinchico wrote:
    Here I got a bottle of Midol, why dont you all just pass it around, take a couple pills and swallow it with a glass of ****:what:
    I hope you're joking, but even if you are I believe it's inappropriate.

    I am a strong supporter of the right to say whatever you want, but this thread is about keeping people from naively giving up their right not to incriminate themselves.

    In theory, fiction has no place in the justice system, and our fictional stories would be harmless. However, in the real world, EVERY word you speak, write, or type can be used against you. Jurors are emotional, and often irrational. Attorneys are artists at manipulating both those traits.

    It's foolish to run your mouth too much, but it's your right. It's even more foolish to insult your allies... but that's your right.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  14. #14
    Regular Member stuckinchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stevenson, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    Nahh I m not meaning to insult my allies hell no dont insult the guy in the same foxhole right next to you


    It just in these days Americans have gotten WAY too sensitive ..... I have alot of examples however i Will def refrain from posting them in here.. Oh yeah DA still hasnt decided if he is going to file on me yet uhhh the anticipation

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    If you read the Harold Fish case where he shot the fellow he thought was attacking him for firing a warning shot at his dogs you see exactly what is being discussed in this thread. Our justice system is no longer about justice but rather attorney against attorney and each will used every trick in the book to win their case for their side.

    One of the main problems for Mr. Fish was that he was painted by the DA as a gun nut. It was bought out how many guns he had owned through the years, that fact that he was using a 10mm and everything else that the DA could find. If they can find that you regularly talk about how you are going to blow someone away they will use it to paint you as a gun nut whether or not any of it is remotely true.

    When you are on trial there is a high probability that your attorney will advise you to not take the stand to try and tell your side of the story and explain that you were only joking. No one is trying to deny anyone the right to say what ever they want to but just that those words may come back to haunt you.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    bad_ace wrote:
    Theseus wrote:
    bad_ace wrote:
    Theseus, you should use Flickr to host your photos.
    Why? My website works fine?
    All I see for your pictures is a humming bird, here and other posts on OCDO. I thought maybe your website had hot linking images disabled.
    Thanks for the tip. . . It should be fixed now. If not, let me know.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    642

    Post imported post

    edit!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    dirtykoala wrote:
    yeh, i didnt understand what was funny about a hummingbird. but the pic is up now.
    "I can see clearly now, the bird is gone!"

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    Double tap.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    I read my post again. I stand by what I wrote. As far as I'm concerned, say or do what you want. Won't hurt my feelings. I just tried to give a perspective that some may have not thought about. If you think that statements that you make won't be used against you, then have at it. Look at some of the reactions some of you get when you open carry. Those are the people they will be picking the jury from. Do you think they are going to pick your jury from this forum. The deck is stacked against you. Why make it easier for them. Good luck my friend.

  21. #21
    Regular Member stuckinchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stevenson, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    I agree with ya well gotta go Cops is back on TV

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, , USA
    Posts
    82

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    stuckinchico wrote:
    I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial
    I think you missed the point.

    It doesnt matter whether or not the things you post on an internet forum are truthful or accurate (Or fictional and baseless.) Those who want to prosecute you arent going to sort through what you post trying to apply any test to determine if you mean it or not.

    If it is advantageous to their case, they will use it to change the juries perception of you to ensure a conviction. Your only defense against thisstrategy is to tell the jury to disregard what you wrote on the internetbecause you made it up. When consolidated with other facts of a case against you, its possible that the things you say or write will fill the gaps where 'reasonable doubt' would naturally flow through.

    There are appropriate times for 1st amendment expression, as well as appropriate times to assert 5th amendment prudence. Wisdom is knowing the difference in practice.
    Condition Three well said.

    And hate to put it this way but IF what you wrote on a blog or anything else on line becomes fair game for the DA to use period. Even if you do get lucky and manage to get it off line and someone in the LEO field or DA's office could have seen it before you did get it deleted and a screen shot could totally sink your case. And even if you had fabricated a story on line hate to say it then you would have to PROVE that you made it up. So why make your case any harder to defend than you would have to.

  23. #23
    Regular Member stuckinchico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stevenson, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    Thanks Kayla i think ive got the point

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    KylaGWolf wrote:
    ConditionThree wrote:
    stuckinchico wrote:
    I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial
    I think you missed the point.

    It doesnt matter whether or not the things you post on an internet forum are truthful or accurate (Or fictional and baseless.) Those who want to prosecute you arent going to sort through what you post trying to apply any test to determine if you mean it or not.

    If it is advantageous to their case, they will use it to change the juries perception of you to ensure a conviction. Your only defense against thisstrategy is to tell the jury to disregard what you wrote on the internetbecause you made it up. When consolidated with other facts of a case against you, its possible that the things you say or write will fill the gaps where 'reasonable doubt' would naturally flow through.

    There are appropriate times for 1st amendment expression, as well as appropriate times to assert 5th amendment prudence. Wisdom is knowing the difference in practice.
    Condition Three well said.

    And hate to put it this way but IF what you wrote on a blog or anything else on line becomes fair game for the DA to use period. Even if you do get lucky and manage to get it off line and someone in the LEO field or DA's office could have seen it before you did get it deleted and a screen shot could totally sink your case. And even if you had fabricated a story on line hate to say it then you would have to PROVE that you made it up. So why make your case any harder to defend than you would have to.
    So then I shouldn't say that I have wild unadulterated sex with multiple annonimous partners all of at least concenting age while my wife is gone, even if its true?









    Man. . . what a world we live in.

  25. #25
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    I'd love to be in the courtroom if that gets brought up.

    "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, not only does Theseus carry a GUN around while doing laundry, but he also participates in adultery on a massive scale. Let me quote..."

    Hilarious! We should sign up an account and pass it off as the DA and make all sorts of incriminating statements. "I lie constantly. I even lie to my friggin cereal!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •