• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Making statements on a public forum. My 1 1/2 cents.

crazyinca

imported post

I have read statements on this forum and many others where people have said such things as,"Blowing people away", "I don't care, I will carry concealed" and similar statements. I personally don't care what you do. But if it's illegal or it might (more like WILL) be used against you in a court of law, for pete's sake don't tell the world about it. Do whatever you feel you must do, just use your brain. Don't be a macho guy, because when you are looking at a hefty legal bill and maybe jail time, you won't be so macho. Do whatever you have to do and STFU. Not because I don't want to hear it, but because you might very well regret it in the future. It might be years from now. If you live in a smaller town and you open carry, you will be known to the LE community. The police might also read this and other forums. It is not that hard to figure out who you are. Just be careful what you write, because sometimes you can't delete it. This is not directed at anyone in particular, so don't think I'm trying to pick a fight.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I didn't have anything to add, so I thought I would provide a little comic relief here...

sgal_thumb.php

Campbell

imported post

You make a very good point!

crazyinca wrote:
I have read statements on this forum and many others where people have said such things as,"Blowing people away", "I don't care, I will carry concealed" and similar statements. I personally don't care what you do. But if it's illegal or it might (more like WILL) be used against you in a court of law, for pete's sake don't tell the world about it. Do whatever you feel you must do, just use your brain. Don't be a macho guy, because when you are looking at a hefty legal bill and maybe jail time, you won't be so macho. Do whatever you have to do and STFU. Not because I don't want to hear it, but because you might very well regret it in the future. It might be years from now. If you live in a smaller town and you open carry, you will be known to the LE community. The police might also read this and other forums. It is not that hard to figure out who you are. Just be careful what you write, because sometimes you can't delete it. This is not directed at anyone in particular, so don't think I'm trying to pick a fight.

N00blet45

imported post

That's when you explain to your lawyer that it was just fiction. You don't say that to the police because you never ever talk to the police. Do you?

Or if you want to talk to the police (Why would you do that?) you ask the officer, "Do you believe everything you read on the internet?"

Or you start every post with "I know a guy who..." before you start your story.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

crazyinca

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
That's when you explain to your lawyer that it was just fiction. You don't say that to the police because you never ever talk to the police. Do you?

Or if you want to talk to the police (Why would you do that?) you ask the officer, "Do you believe everything you read on the internet?"

Or you start every post with "I know a guy who..." before you start your story.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Yes, I see your point. I gave very bad advice. I was trying to think ahead more than 5 minutes. You have shown me the error of my ways. Everybody, please disregard what I said. Instead follow the gentleman's advice. I will never speak out of turn again............well for at least 5 minutes.

stuckinchico

imported post

I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial

I think you missed the point.

It doesnt matter whether or not the things you post on an internet forum are truthful or accurate (Or fictional and baseless.) Those who want to prosecute you arent going to sort through what you post trying to apply any test to determine if you mean it or not.

If it is advantageous to their case, they will use it to change the juries perception of you to ensure a conviction. Your only defense against thisstrategy is to tell the jury to disregard what you wrote on the internetbecause you made it up. When consolidated with other facts of a case against you, its possible that the things you say or write will fill the gaps where 'reasonable doubt' would naturally flow through.

There are appropriate times for 1st amendment expression, as well as appropriate times to assert 5th amendment prudence. Wisdom is knowing the difference in practice.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
Here I got a bottle of Midol, why dont you all just pass it around, take a couple pills and swallow it with a glass of STFU:what:
I hope you're joking, but even if you are I believe it's inappropriate.

I am a strong supporter of the right to say whatever you want, but this thread is about keeping people from naively giving up their right not to incriminate themselves.

In theory, fiction has no place in the justice system, and our fictional stories would be harmless. However, in the real world, EVERY word you speak, write, or type can be used against you. Jurors are emotional, and often irrational. Attorneys are artists at manipulating both those traits.

It's foolish to run your mouth too much, but it's your right. It's even more foolish to insult your allies... but that's your right.

stuckinchico

imported post

Nahh I m not meaning to insult my allies hell no dont insult the guy in the same foxhole right next to you

It just in these days Americans have gotten WAY too sensitive ..... I have alot of examples however i Will def refrain from posting them in here.. Oh yeah DA still hasnt decided if he is going to file on me yet uhhh the anticipation

PT111

imported post

If you read the Harold Fish case where he shot the fellow he thought was attacking him for firing a warning shot at his dogs you see exactly what is being discussed in this thread. Our justice system is no longer about justice but rather attorney against attorney and each will used every trick in the book to win their case for their side.

One of the main problems for Mr. Fish was that he was painted by the DA as a gun nut. It was bought out how many guns he had owned through the years, that fact that he was using a 10mm and everything else that the DA could find. If they can find that you regularly talk about how you are going to blow someone away they will use it to paint you as a gun nut whether or not any of it is remotely true.

When you are on trial there is a high probability that your attorney will advise you to not take the stand to try and tell your side of the story and explain that you were only joking. No one is trying to deny anyone the right to say what ever they want to but just that those words may come back to haunt you.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bad_ace wrote:
Theseus wrote:
bad_ace wrote:
Theseus, you should use Flickr to host your photos.
Why? My website works fine?
All I see for your pictures is a humming bird, here and other posts on OCDO. I thought maybe your website had hot linking images disabled.
Thanks for the tip. . . It should be fixed now. If not, let me know.

crazyinca

imported post

I read my post again. I stand by what I wrote. As far as I'm concerned, say or do what you want. Won't hurt my feelings. I just tried to give a perspective that some may have not thought about. If you think that statements that you make won't be used against you, then have at it. Look at some of the reactions some of you get when you open carry. Those are the people they will be picking the jury from. Do you think they are going to pick your jury from this forum. The deck is stacked against you. Why make it easier for them. Good luck my friend.