• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Making statements on a public forum. My 1 1/2 cents.

KylaGWolf

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
stuckinchico wrote:
I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial

I think you missed the point.

It doesnt matter whether or not the things you post on an internet forum are truthful or accurate (Or fictional and baseless.) Those who want to prosecute you arent going to sort through what you post trying to apply any test to determine if you mean it or not.

If it is advantageous to their case, they will use it to change the juries perception of you to ensure a conviction. Your only defense against thisstrategy is to tell the jury to disregard what you wrote on the internetbecause you made it up. When consolidated with other facts of a case against you, its possible that the things you say or write will fill the gaps where 'reasonable doubt' would naturally flow through.

There are appropriate times for 1st amendment expression, as well as appropriate times to assert 5th amendment prudence. Wisdom is knowing the difference in practice.
Condition Three well said.

And hate to put it this way but IF what you wrote on a blog or anything else on line becomes fair game for the DA to use period. Even if you do get lucky and manage to get it off line and someone in the LEO field or DA's office could have seen it before you did get it deleted and a screen shot could totally sink your case. And even if you had fabricated a story on line hate to say it then you would have to PROVE that you made it up. So why make your case any harder to defend than you would have to.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KylaGWolf wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
stuckinchico wrote:
I read on the internet that Obama is always on his knees Geez let me guess... If its on facebook Gosh darn it it must be true. So before my trial i think ill post some outrageous stuff and see what makes it to trial

I think you missed the point.

It doesnt matter whether or not the things you post on an internet forum are truthful or accurate (Or fictional and baseless.) Those who want to prosecute you arent going to sort through what you post trying to apply any test to determine if you mean it or not.

If it is advantageous to their case, they will use it to change the juries perception of you to ensure a conviction. Your only defense against thisstrategy is to tell the jury to disregard what you wrote on the internetbecause you made it up. When consolidated with other facts of a case against you, its possible that the things you say or write will fill the gaps where 'reasonable doubt' would naturally flow through.

There are appropriate times for 1st amendment expression, as well as appropriate times to assert 5th amendment prudence. Wisdom is knowing the difference in practice.
Condition Three well said.

And hate to put it this way but IF what you wrote on a blog or anything else on line becomes fair game for the DA to use period. Even if you do get lucky and manage to get it off line and someone in the LEO field or DA's office could have seen it before you did get it deleted and a screen shot could totally sink your case. And even if you had fabricated a story on line hate to say it then you would have to PROVE that you made it up. So why make your case any harder to defend than you would have to.

So then I shouldn't say that I have wild unadulterated sex with multiple annonimous partners all of at least concenting age while my wife is gone, even if its true?

Man. . . what a world we live in.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I'd love to be in the courtroom if that gets brought up.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, not only does Theseus carry a GUN around while doing laundry, but he also participates in adultery on a massive scale. Let me quote..."

Hilarious! We should sign up an account and pass it off as the DA and make all sorts of incriminating statements. "I lie constantly. I even lie to my friggin cereal!"

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
I'd love to be in the courtroom if that gets brought up.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, not only does Theseus carry a GUN around while doing laundry, but he also participates in adultery on a massive scale. Let me quote..."

Hilarious! We should sign up an account and pass it off as the DA and make all sorts of incriminating statements. "I lie constantly. I even lie to my friggin cereal!"

Seriously though. . . I know my lawyer will kill me for it, but the person that called the PD on me in the first place said something to the effect of "I saw a white man at a laundry mat and that seemed out of place". When I read it I could not contain my laughs. . .

Aparently in Alhambra, CA it is odd to have a white man doing laundry in a local laundrymat, as if only non-white people need to do laundry. I need clean clothes too. . .

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Theseus wrote:
SNIP Aparently in Alhambra, CA it is odd to have a white man doing laundry in a local laundrymat, as if only non-white people need to do laundry. I need clean clothes too. . .
Down by the creek pounding your shirts with rocks, that's where you should have been. Your dependence on modern conveniences is obviously what has caused all this trouble.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Theseus wrote:
Seriously though. . . I know my lawyer will kill me for it, but the person that called the PD on me in the first place said something to the effect of "I saw a white man at a laundry mat and that seemed out of place". When I read it I could not contain my laughs. . .
Egads! White people washing clothes!

Hopefully the caller said something about the gun too. Otherwise that's just plain retarded. Clearly Alhambra has far too many police officers or far too few crimes.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Theseus wrote:
...the person that called the PD on me in the first place said something to the effect of "I saw a white man at a laundry mat and that seemed out of place". When I read it I could not contain my laughs. . .

Aparently in Alhambra, CA it is odd to have a white man doing laundry in a local laundrymat, as if only non-white people need to do laundry. I need clean clothes too. . .

See, this is why I don't wash my laundry. Imagine how much legal expense you would have saved if you simply purchased new clothing instead of going through the hassle of washing it!

Seriously though... I would love to hear the audio of that 9-1-1 call some day. I wonder how the dispatcher responded to this racist remark.

"All units, 10-33 on channel 1. White male laundering in public, approach with caution."

:celebrate