Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: OC in Virginia - Entire State

  1. #1
    Regular Member streetdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Unionville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    342

    Post imported post

    One of many crazy things that I do, I did a 1,000 mike motorcycle ride yesterday throughout Virginia. I was OC'ing the entire time on my Bike. I started off at 0330 in Orange then rode to Fairfax, Richmond, Norfolk, Emporia, back to Richmond, Charlottesville, Bristol and then back to Orange. It was a long ride, took 19 hours to finish including all of the stops that I made for fuel, food and stretching. A couple of strange looks from people with out of state plates. It was a lot of fun.

    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    streetdoc wrote:
    One of many crazy things that I do, I did a 1,000 mike motorcycle ride yesterday throughout Virginia. I was OC'ing the entire time on my Bike. I started off at 0330 in Orange then rode to Fairfax, Richmond, Norfolk, Emporia, back to Richmond, Charlottesville, Bristol and then back to Orange. It was a long ride, took 19 hours to finish including all of the stops that I made for fuel, foos and stretching. A couple of strange looks from people with out of state plates. It was a lot of fun.


    I was going to OC on my ride from Hampton to Alexandria today, but it was getting in the way of my backpack. 1,000 miles in one day is quite the ride, I don't think I could do that on my bike.

  3. #3
    Regular Member streetdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Unionville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    342

    Post imported post

    I'm getting ready to do a Iron Butt Run, Coast to Coast in 50 hours (50CC) or less. The ride I just did taught me a few things that I need to do to prep for the 50CC. I need a way to stretch my feet out in front of me, I ride a BMW R1100RS, its still a sport bike. I am going to have to get creative on when and how to carry my gun when I go from Camp Lejeune to Camp Pendleton plus the return ride back to Virginia.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Augusta/Rockingham County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    67

    Post imported post

    streetdoc wrote:
    One of many crazy things that I do, I did a 1,000 mike motorcycle ride yesterday throughout Virginia. I was OC'ing the entire time on my Bike. I started off at 0330 in Orange then rode to Fairfax, Richmond, Norfolk, Emporia, back to Richmond, Charlottesville, Bristol and then back to Orange. It was a long ride, took 19 hours to finish including all of the stops that I made for fuel, foos and stretching. A couple of strange looks from people with out of state plates. It was a lot of fun.
    That was a crazy thing to do. You should've turned left in Orange and headed over into my neck of the woods. I guess you just wanted to practice playing with traffic.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    streetdoc wrote:
    I'm getting ready to do a Iron Butt Run, Coast to Coast in 50 hours (50CC) or less. The ride I just did taught me a few things that I need to do to prep for the 50CC. I need a way to stretch my feet out in front of me, I ride a BMW R1100RS, its still a sport bike. I am going to have to get creative on when and how to carry my gun when I go from Camp Lejeune to Camp Pendleton plus the return ride back to Virginia.
    50 hours?! Not continuous I take it :^). I think we did SWVA to SLC in 48 hours straight, but that may have been when the interstate speed limit was 55. A Toyota Celica with the rear seat removed and a small bed made out of luggage and blankets. Triple teamed the driving, one man sleeps, one talks to the driver and the other drove. That was a fun trip !

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Augusta/Rockingham County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    67

    Post imported post

    Neplusultra wrote:
    50 hours?! Not continuous I take it :^). I think we did SWVA to SLC in 48 hours straight, but that may have been when the interstate speed limit was 55. A Toyota Celica with the rear seat removed and a small bed made out of luggage and blankets. Triple teamed the driving, one man sleeps, one talks to the driver and the other drove. That was a fun trip !
    No, he means 50 hours. See 50CC Quest Rules @ http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/




  7. #7
    Regular Member altajava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    228

    Post imported post

    Don't forget the anti monkey butt powder!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    226

    Post imported post

    I opened carried during the "Ironbutt" in Va, back in May.

    I remember getting some looks from the people from out of state there to run the program, and of course the :what: from out of state drivers!

    Carl

  9. #9
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    I used to work with a guy who left Riverside, CA with his girl friend and arrived in McLean, VA 54 hours later. he over-extended his stay in Los Angeles and had to make up time on the road.

    Here's the kick. It was in a rental car. He was gone four weeks and when he returned it, the odometer read 8000 miles of use! The man at the rental agency counter about crapped himself but there was nothing he could do about it. My friend had unlimited mileage anywhere in the country for his rental.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  10. #10
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    streetdoc, Are you doing your 50cc from Lejeune to Pendleton? That would be cool as hell. Let me know where you are going to post,STN?, a ride report on that.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    Regular Member streetdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Unionville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    342

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    streetdoc, Are you doing your 50cc from Lejeune to Pendleton? That would be cool as hell. Let me know where you are going to post,STN?, a ride report on that.
    I spent 15 years at Pendleton minus the deployments to Oki, I thought it would be good to do my first 50CC from a Marine Base to a Marine Base. My plan is to do the high route, get out of some of the heat, that gets me into Calif. by way of Barstow then dropping into Pendleton through Fallbrook. Unless the weather holds me up, I'll be doing this run Sept 3rdto the 5th. I have the course allplottedwhereI cancarry and when I have to put it away.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

  12. #12
    Regular Member streetdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Unionville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    342

    Post imported post

    I was going through some old post today looking for an idea of doing a group motorcycle OC ride and came back to this topic. A couple of people wanted to know how my cross country ride turned out, rather than post another report I am just going to post some links to the motorcycle and SPOT forums where they are already posted.

    http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=177157

    http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_...=4301&PN=1

    http://www.bmwbmw.org/bts/2009/bmwbmw_bts_2009_11.pdf
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

  13. #13
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    I used to work with a guy who left Riverside, CA with his girl friend and arrived in McLean, VA 54 hours later. he over-extended his stay in Los Angeles and had to make up time on the road.

    Here's the kick. It was in a rental car. He was gone four weeks and when he returned it, the odometer read 8000 miles of use! The man at the rental agency counter about crapped himself but there was nothing he could do about it. My friend had unlimited mileage anywhere in the country for his rental.
    Few years back I did the same thing. I rented a nice Cadillac with less tan 2,000 miles on it. I drove from Michigan to Virginia (DC area), then to Houston, then to Las Vegas, back to Virginia (Va Beach), and back to Michigan. That was over 8,000 miles including side trips, and when I returned the Caddy three weeks later, the guy thought that the starting mileage wasn't recorded correctly. I assured him that it was.

    Oh, and I was open carrying part of the time.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    streetdoc wrote:
    I'm getting ready to do a Iron Butt Run, Coast to Coast in 50 hours (50CC)
    Ha! I thought that meant he had to do it on one of those 50cc or 49cc mopeds!
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  15. #15
    Regular Member RussP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    393

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    streetdoc wrote:
    I'm getting ready to do a Iron Butt Run, Coast to Coast in 50 hours (50CC)
    Ha! I thought that meant he had to do it on one of those 50cc or 49cc mopeds!
    So did I...
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

  16. #16
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    happened a month ago. i was in Coventon, so i went to the local wall mart.

    first as i went in, this guy tries to get my attention. did not think he was talking to me so i kept going. then he comes running up to me making a hand gesture suggesting i cover up. i did give him a strange look then when he came closer , he said hey buddy you are showing your gun. i said yeah i know that is the way you should carry (with a smile of course). he said oh you want to open carry. i wanted to say more to him but he turned and left

    then the next one was a young guy with his girl with him. he said whoa are you going to shoot someone. i said absolutely not, only people who attack me. i asked him if he carried and he said no. to which i asked him didn't he care for the young lady with him. he looked thoughtful at that and we parted with good marks
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •