• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Virginia - Entire State

streetdoc

imported post

One of many crazy things that I do, I did a 1,000 mike motorcycle ride yesterday throughout Virginia. I was OC'ing the entire time on my Bike. I started off at 0330 in Orange then rode to Fairfax, Richmond, Norfolk, Emporia, back to Richmond, Charlottesville, Bristol and then back to Orange. It was a long ride, took 19 hours to finish including all of the stops that I made for fuel, food and stretching. A couple of strange looks from people with out of state plates. It was a lot of fun.

mpg9999

imported post

streetdoc wrote:
One of many crazy things that I do, I did a 1,000 mike motorcycle ride yesterday throughout Virginia. I was OC'ing the entire time on my Bike. I started off at 0330 in Orange then rode to Fairfax, Richmond, Norfolk, Emporia, back to Richmond, Charlottesville, Bristol and then back to Orange. It was a long ride, took 19 hours to finish including all of the stops that I made for fuel, foos and stretching. A couple of strange looks from people with out of state plates. It was a lot of fun.

I was going to OC on my ride from Hampton to Alexandria today, but it was getting in the way of my backpack. 1,000 miles in one day is quite the ride, I don't think I could do that on my bike.

streetdoc

imported post

I'm getting ready to do a Iron Butt Run, Coast to Coast in 50 hours (50CC) or less. The ride I just did taught me a few things that I need to do to prep for the 50CC. I need a way to stretch my feet out in front of me, I ride a BMW R1100RS, its still a sport bike. I am going to have to get creative on when and how to carry my gun when I go from Camp Lejeune to Camp Pendleton plus the return ride back to Virginia.

raftgyde

imported post

streetdoc wrote:
One of many crazy things that I do, I did a 1,000 mike motorcycle ride yesterday throughout Virginia. I was OC'ing the entire time on my Bike. I started off at 0330 in Orange then rode to Fairfax, Richmond, Norfolk, Emporia, back to Richmond, Charlottesville, Bristol and then back to Orange. It was a long ride, took 19 hours to finish including all of the stops that I made for fuel, foos and stretching. A couple of strange looks from people with out of state plates. It was a lot of fun.
That was a crazy thing to do. You should've turned left in Orange and headed over into my neck of the woods. I guess you just wanted to practice playing with traffic. :lol:

Neplusultra

imported post

streetdoc wrote:
I'm getting ready to do a Iron Butt Run, Coast to Coast in 50 hours (50CC) or less. The ride I just did taught me a few things that I need to do to prep for the 50CC. I need a way to stretch my feet out in front of me, I ride a BMW R1100RS, its still a sport bike. I am going to have to get creative on when and how to carry my gun when I go from Camp Lejeune to Camp Pendleton plus the return ride back to Virginia.
50 hours?! Not continuous I take it :^). I think we did SWVA to SLC in 48 hours straight, but that may have been when the interstate speed limit was 55. A Toyota Celica with the rear seat removed and a small bed made out of luggage and blankets. Triple teamed the driving, one man sleeps, one talks to the driver and the other drove. That was a fun trip !

raftgyde

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
50 hours?! Not continuous I take it :^). I think we did SWVA to SLC in 48 hours straight, but that may have been when the interstate speed limit was 55. A Toyota Celica with the rear seat removed and a small bed made out of luggage and blankets. Triple teamed the driving, one man sleeps, one talks to the driver and the other drove. That was a fun trip !
No, he means 50 hours. See 50CC Quest Rules @ http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/
:cool:

t11spanner

imported post

I opened carried during the "Ironbutt" in Va, back in May.

I remember getting some looks from the people from out of state there to run the program, and of course the :what: from out of state drivers!

Carl

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I used to work with a guy who left Riverside, CA with his girl friend and arrived in McLean, VA 54 hours later. he over-extended his stay in Los Angeles and had to make up time on the road.

Here's the kick. It was in a rental car. He was gone four weeks and when he returned it, the odometer read 8000 miles of use! The man at the rental agency counter about crapped himself but there was nothing he could do about it. My friend had unlimited mileage anywhere in the country for his rental.

VAopencarry

imported post

streetdoc, Are you doing your 50cc from Lejeune to Pendleton? That would be cool as hell. Let me know where you are going to post,STN?, a ride report on that.

streetdoc

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
streetdoc, Are you doing your 50cc from Lejeune to Pendleton? That would be cool as hell. Let me know where you are going to post,STN?, a ride report on that.
I spent 15 years at Pendleton minus the deployments to Oki, I thought it would be good to do my first 50CC from a Marine Base to a Marine Base. My plan is to do the high route, get out of some of the heat, that gets me into Calif. by way of Barstow then dropping into Pendleton through Fallbrook. Unless the weather holds me up, I'll be doing this run Sept 3rdto the 5th. I have the course allplottedwhereI cancarry and when I have to put it away.

streetdoc

imported post

I was going through some old post today looking for an idea of doing a group motorcycle OC ride and came back to this topic. A couple of people wanted to know how my cross country ride turned out, rather than post another report I am just going to post some links to the motorcycle and SPOT forums where they are already posted.

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=177157

http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4301&PN=1

http://www.bmwbmw.org/bts/2009/bmwbmw_bts_2009_11.pdf

gis

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I used to work with a guy who left Riverside, CA with his girl friend and arrived in McLean, VA 54 hours later. he over-extended his stay in Los Angeles and had to make up time on the road.

Here's the kick. It was in a rental car. He was gone four weeks and when he returned it, the odometer read 8000 miles of use! The man at the rental agency counter about crapped himself but there was nothing he could do about it. My friend had unlimited mileage anywhere in the country for his rental.

Few years back I did the same thing. I rented a nice Cadillac with less tan 2,000 miles on it. I drove from Michigan to Virginia (DC area), then to Houston, then to Las Vegas, back to Virginia (Va Beach), and back to Michigan. That was over 8,000 miles including side trips, and when I returned the Caddy three weeks later, the guy thought that the starting mileage wasn't recorded correctly. :D I assured him that it was.

Oh, and I was open carrying part of the time. :)

papa bear

happened a month ago. i was in Coventon, so i went to the local wall mart.

first as i went in, this guy tries to get my attention. did not think he was talking to me so i kept going. then he comes running up to me making a hand gesture suggesting i cover up. i did give him a strange look then when he came closer , he said hey buddy you are showing your gun. i said yeah i know that is the way you should carry (with a smile of course). he said oh you want to open carry. i wanted to say more to him but he turned and left

then the next one was a young guy with his girl with him. he said whoa are you going to shoot someone. i said absolutely not, only people who attack me. i asked him if he carried and he said no. to which i asked him didn't he care for the young lady with him. he looked thoughtful at that and we parted with good marks