• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.50 cal blows hole the size of Mack truck?

thx997303

imported post

What is up with this horrible exaggeration?

One of my Drill SGTs in BCT claimed that a MISS from an M2 would blow your arm off.

And he was Infantry for hell sakes.

KansasMustang

imported post

When I was stationed at Fort Carson, some idiot soldier had misappropriated some Hoffman simulator charges (tank cannon simulators) The reporter that wrote about it stated that these devices could "rock a tank back on it's treads" at the time I was the Division Master Gunner, of the 4th Inf. Div. and the "tank gunnery expert". I wrote a rebuttal, officially from the office of the G-3. SOB never printed my story.
This is the normal reactionary response from people trying to push their agenda's to people who have no idea of what they're talking about, from more of the same. We all know a "Desert Eagle" 50 cal is a powerful handgun and the Drug Cartels have the money to buy any kind of weapons they want. Personally I can't even get my hand around a .44 mag IMI Eagle and wouldn't want one. But hey methinks this was a "show off" drug dealer.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

thx997303 wrote:

One of my Drill SGTs in BCT claimed that a MISS from an M2 would blow your arm off.

Ha, ha. It is funny, though isn't it? Two of the most absurd exaggerations I have heard over the years about firearms were theses.

A near miss by a .45ACP could still knock a man down..

Years ago, my wife gave me a .357 Ruger Blackhawk for Christmas. Before having shot it, I went to a party and soon got into a conversation with someone whom I had just met. I told him about my new gift and that I was anxious to fire it. He asked me if I had ever fired a .357 before and I said, "no". He then told me I had better tape my wrist and lean against a tree because people have been known to get their wrists broken by the "kick" of a .357 Magnum.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Ha, ha. It is funny, though isn't it? Two of the most absurd exaggerations I have heard over the years about firearms were theses.

Years ago, my wife gave me a .357 Ruger Blackhawk for Christmas. Before having shot it, I went to a party and soon got into a conversation with someone whom I had just met. I told him about my new gift and that I was anxious to fire it. He asked me if I had ever fired a .357 before and I said, "no". He then told me I had better tape my wrist and lean against a tree because people have been known to get their wrists broken by the "kick" of a .357 Magnum.
Contender Pistol with 10" octagon barrel chambered in .45-70; even if you miss, the muzzle blast will still set the target on fire.

That one is NOT an exaggeration, because I've done it. ;-)

wheelerXD

imported post

The whole myth of missing with a .50 cal and tearing someone's arm off is somethin even in the infantry you here all the time. A lot of our machine gunners will say that a lot. I guess to make their weapons and themselves sound so powerful since well they are a support assest to the real infantry men the 0311's.

Semper Fi

FunkTrooper

imported post

Who cares if the drug dealers have a 50cal Desert Eagle, they probably never shot it before and don't know how to use it. I on the other hand have a 1911 and know how to use it therefore my pistol is far more effective than his 50cal.

reconvic

imported post

I think many here don't know how large .50 Cal bullet is?
Don't confuse it with a .500 S & W , they are two different animals.
A 50 cal. is bolted to a Chopper or used in a Barret Rifle Custom Made. a .500 S & W is a handgun bullet that I feel it's place is in the woods hunting only.
Just for those they made be getting confused.
S/F Vic

pullnshoot25

imported post

ixtow wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Contender Pistol with 10" octagon barrel chambered in .45-70; even if you miss, the muzzle blast will still set the target on fire.

EPIC!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well the Desert Eagle shoots the .50AE. So there. :p
The smallest, least powerful of common .50cal cartridges. I believe even a sub-sonic .510 whisper hits harder...

So lets all go blow holes the size Mack Trucks in objects much smaller than Mack Trucks.....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
ixtow wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

EPIC!
The RO couldn't stop laughing, but I think he was laughing at the idea of me missing the target at 10yds, not the burning cardboard.... And, no, I haven't met anyone yet (besides myself) who could hang on to the damn thing. It has more recoil than any firearm I have ever shot. It's nickname is "The Howitzer with a Handle."

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dude, haven't you ever played video games? .50AE is the only thing more powerful than the .45 ACP.

But seriously, I wish I weren't constrained by the laws of physics. Vaporizing people with a handgun is the stuff of dreams.

Edit: Not my dreams, though. :p

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Dude, haven't you ever played video games? .50AE is the only thing more powerful than the .45 ACP.

But seriously, I wish I weren't constrained by the laws of physics. Vaporizing people with a handgun is the stuff of dreams.

Edit: Not my dreams, though. :p
You have irrefutable photographic proof that 'dirty harry guns' can blow up the world! Why haven't the Brady bunch used this evidence to back up their words???? Someone needs to tell them!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

C'mon guys, enough joking. If this is a site for firearms enthusiasts, it's time we learned what our calibers are capable of.

Here's a little diagram for the caliber noobs:

Edit: Hopefully that explains the photographic proof I've provided above.