• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC permitees called out

ruffneck307

imported post

I just read this in a guns and ammo mag. and it said that Tennesee residents that have cc permits got their names, addresses, birithdays, experation dates of their licenses and other pertinet info disclosed to the public.

The newspaper called the Commercial Appeal took it upon themselves to protect the public. This is very disturbing to me and I'm sure alot of other people as well.

This is not the only newspaper to do this either. I thought itwas the newspapers job to report local news not protect the public?

Anyway if this is going to become the norm I not suggest anyone get their CC permit and for everyone to just OC. This is bullshit and is not right.:cuss:Those of you with CC permits please be careful and watch this doesn't happen to you!!!!

rpyne

imported post

Or get off your dead behinds and get legislation passed to protect the information.

edit:spelling

reconvic

imported post

Damn glad I don't live in Tenn. It would never happen in AZ.
I really doubt that will happen even there , no one will give out address's
Wait to you see it in the senate before getting alarmed. Gun Rags get paid to print a lot of Bull.
S/F. Vic

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I heard that there was another newspaper that tried to get permit holders information disclosed in another state too, (AZ comes to mind) to publish the information.

The sheriff refused to provide the permit holders information and an FOIA suit was threatened, and I think it went to court and the newspaper lost so the permit holders information was kept private as it should be.

The sheriff's stance was that by publishing information like that, they are only creating a shopping list for robberies! And I agree.

rpyne

imported post

Utah law specifically prohibits the release of permit holder personal information. I believe that there are several other states that do so as well.

Larry0071

imported post

Should that happen in PA, my fear would not be that others are afraid of my permit or my firearm, rather I would fear that the bad guy may do as suggested above and use this handy list as a shopping guide to those known to own expensive and desireable firearms that may or may not be ripe for the stealing.

To me, the concept of a CC permit is to be under the radar and not advertise that you have a firearm on your person. By taking that information and making it public and even going further by printing it in a public news paper, you have taken the person trying to be discrete and shined a light on him for his co-workers, nearby citizens, and local thugs to view and ponder about.

Being that I open carry, I don;t really care about this for me.... but for those that wish to fly low, I feel for. Each person should be able to make up his or her mind as too how they wish to carry thier personal defense firearm and not feel like some sort of freak that needs pointed at and ridiculed. This is no different than a newspaper placing the personal information of each house and owner of 40" and larger HD Plasma/LCD TV's in the paper so as to promote theft and envyby the local public and thuggery. This later list would never be allowed, why was the previous?

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Ok, I live in TN. The Memphis newspaper the Commercial Appeal has put a copy of the permit database online. That much is true. Legally they can, just like any other list of recreational permits / licenses here.

We tried to get the law changed this legislative term (just ended), but there were too many organizations (read: political parties and 'interested parties' like the NRA) who wanted to be able to access the list for GOTV type stuff. Talks broke down on just how available the info could be, so nothing happened this cycle. We are trying to get it locked down next cycle. I personally would prefer it to be completely locked down, but I would accept a publishing ban like the voter rolls. (ie you can get the lists from the state for mailings, etc, but cannot release or publish)

Regards,

Pol

r6-rider

imported post

HA now CCers cant bitch at OCers about how they have the "element of surprise" guess what not anymore you dont:lol:

PT111

imported post

Can someone elaborate on this for me? It appears that from what this is saying is that anyone can access the background check system and find out whatever they want to about you.

http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html

Brady Background Check
All counties implement the national background check through the Nevada Highway Patrol. By State Law, any private party may access Nevada's background check system for the purpose of checking the background of a potential gun purchaser. Currently, the check costs $25.00. Call your local NHP if you wish to access this system.

Statesman

imported post

rpyne wrote:
Or get off your dead behinds and get legislation passed to protect the information.

Here is Kentucky's, and it's a good template to work from. Make a copy, and march down to your representative's office and demand the same:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/110.PDF

(10) The Department of Kentucky State Police shall maintain an automated listing of license holders and pertinent information, and this information shall be available on-line, upon request, at all times to all Kentucky, federal, and other states' law enforcement agencies. A request for the entire list of licensees, or for all licensees in a geographic area, shall be denied. Only requests relating to a named licensee shall be honored or available on-line. Information on applications for licenses, names and addresses, or other identifying information relating to license holders shall be confidential and shall not be made available except to law enforcement agencies. No request for lists of local or statewide permit holders shall be made to any state or local law enforcement agency, peace officer, or other agency of government other than the Department of Kentucky State Police, and no state or local law enforcement agency, peace officer, or agency of government, other than the Department of Kentucky State Police, shall provide any information not entitled to it by law.

buzzsaw

imported post

How about this. The 2a says "shall not be infringed" can anybody say "Lisc. how I carry is an infringement". The information should not be available for release because it should not exist.....

rpyne

imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
How about this. The 2a says "shall not be infringed" can anybody say "Lisc. how I carry is an infringement". The information should not be available for release because it should not exist.....
I agree completely, but the SCOTUS doesn't so we have to live within the laws we have while we work to get them changed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
snip........I heard that there was another newspaper that tried to get permit holders information disclosed in another state too, (AZ comes to mind) to publish the information.
Several newspapers in Va. published the list of all CHP holders several years back. The General Assembly changed the law so that the state police could not release that information; however, they forgot and left a "loophole" wherein the local county and cities would have to with a FOIA request.

Presently, several papers from time to time do publish local lists of permit holders. IMO they do so to intimidate as many people as possible.

We will be working the next legislative session to close this back door policy permenantly and nail it shut.

Yata hey

reconvic

imported post

Speaking where I live in Az. I do have a CCP for many years but carry open when it is very hot out. I feel that way until the laws are changed get a CCP and carry as you wish. Unless you have a record or something what do you have to lose by carrying concealed? I think everyone should be taking the test to see if they pass and just obey the laws until they are revised and stop crying over it.
S.F. Vic

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I always find it interesting when antis try to find new and exciting ways to help bad guys obtain weapons illegally. They make us leave our guns unattended in a vehicle, they make us display it at times it would be better concealed, they tell the bad guys who has guns in the home, etc. Silly, silly illogical antis ...

rpyne

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Silly, silly illogical antis ...
Scheaming, deceitful, devious antis ...

Their actions are coldly calculated to INCREASE the crime rates so they can have an excuse to tighten the noose around our necks.

shad0wfax

imported post

They pulled crap like this on Oregon residents too. One County Sheriff refused to comply and they got a court order forcing him to disclose the names... :(

Fortunately this type of behavior is prohibited by state law here in Washington.

Dragonflydf

imported post

It is easy to get the newspapers to stop doing this, do some searching and find the names, addresses and phone numbers for the newspaper's owners, publishers,editors, reporters, photographers, and any one else that works for the paper and publish them, see how they like it.