• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC permitees called out

protector84

imported post

Maybe we should get the names then of all the anti-gun nuts who support such a thing and put those names in the paper under a column titled "The following addresses are gun-free homes." See what they would think of that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
It is easy to get the newspapers to stop doing this, do some searching and find the names, addresses and phone numbers for the newspaper's owners, publishers,editors, reporters, photographers, and any one else that works for the paper and publish them, see how they like it.
Well it is unlikely that they will publish such in their own papers - so much freedom of the press when they decide what should be open and what should be restricted.

Yata hey

Dragonflydf

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Dragonflydf wrote:
It is easy to get the newspapers to stop doing this, do some searching and find the names, addresses and phone numbers for the newspaper's owners, publishers,editors, reporters, photographers, and any one else that works for the paper and publish them, see how they like it.
Well it is unlikely that they will publish such in their own papers - so much freedom of the press when they decide what should be open and what should be restricted.

Yata hey

There is a little thing called the World Wide Web, aka the internet, you ought to look into it sometime, I heard someone named Gore invented it.

There is nothing stopping you from publishing the info there.......

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

There are things that should not be available to any yahoo that inquires about it.

For instance, try looking up someones name and address fromtheir car or trucklicense plate number! It is not going to happen, no way, no how. This was done to keep residence locations private.

Imagine some super-hot, drop-dead gorgeous woman driving a convertible Benz, Some scumbag decides "ooooh-wee, I'd like to get me some of dat" and has the ability to find where she lives from that license plate. He would then have a way to track down a possible victim to rape, rob and do whatever else his sick twisted mind desires.

Or lets say some twisted PETA nutjob does not like the fact that I I have a deer in the back of my truck. I do not need him learning my home address and protesting at my home becuase I shop directly at the source for my meat.

Owning a firearm is a protected right, it does not need to be published to try and shame someone for taking responsibility for their own wellbeing.

Can newspapers publish addresses of convicted sexual offenders?? I don't think so, but I may be wrong. Sexual offenders are something we should be concerned about, not someone that took the initiative to protect his family and self by getting a concealed permit.

Elkad

imported post

One paper in WV does it as well. They seem to only publish the info on residents of the immediate counties though.

We have a bill in to stop it, not sure what the status of it is.

Edit: Last bill I see died in the state senate after passing the house.

Xader

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
They pulled crap like this on Oregon residents too. One County Sheriff refused to comply and they got a court order forcing him to disclose the names... :(

Fortunately this type of behavior is prohibited by state law here in Washington.

And he got a stay against the order.

Most sheriffs in OR collectively told the newspapers (in no uncertain terms) to pound sand on this issue.

Then the OR House passed HP 2727, which grants privacy to CHL holders, although there is a large loophole which allows disclosure with "clear and convincing evidence that the public interest requires disclosure in the particular instance."

Noone has yet tested what is considered "clear and convincing evidence"

Bustelo5%

imported post

Speaking of the Series of Tubes we call the Nets,I found a computer on the side of the road and it was in good condition.So I hooked it up went though all the files found out the Father,sons and a list of the football team as they still had a roster of their footbal team on their with numbers and names.
So I public records these people a little skiptracing for the night and found out the guy was divorced and there was custody hearings and all kinds of other juicy stuff about the ex wife phone numbers addresses.
All of that said if you really want to protect your freedom of arms or any thing.Do what you have to make sure it doesnot end up in the wrong hands.Yeah that NRA membership you got???? IF they have your creditcard info then you betcha they are giving it to the Gov.
Btw if your getting rid of a computer keep your hard drive lol

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I have a permit from Tennessee. I don't see what the big deal is.

If you get a marriage license that is public record.

If you get a building permit it is public record.

If you own property that is public record.

Why should a handgun carry permit be secret? TN has issued permits to felons and this was found out because the public had access to the database. Secret Government hasn't worked well in the past for Tennessee. We have a serious problem here with corrupt cops and politicians. I'd rather my name be on a database for the public to examine than hidden away in secret.

Wiggy

imported post

ruffneck307 wrote:
I just read this in a guns and ammo mag. and it said that Tennesee residents that have cc permits got their names, addresses, birithdays, experation dates of their licenses and other pertinet info disclosed to the public.

The newspaper called the Commercial Appeal took it upon themselves to protect the public. This is very disturbing to me and I'm sure alot of other people as well.

This is not the only newspaper to do this either. I thought itwas the newspapers job to report local news not protect the public?

Anyway if this is going to become the norm I not suggest anyone get their CC permit and for everyone to just OC. This is bull@#$% and is not right.:cuss:Those of you with CC permits please be careful and watch this doesn't happen to you!!!!

You suggest that no one get a CC permit and just OC... That works except for us here in TN, as we need our HCP to open carry.

We did get Commercial Appeal to take some of the information off of their list, but not all of it. I would say that it's the same as a marriage license or bulding permit, except that having a handgun on you is more sensitive. You don't want just ANYONE to know where you live and that you have valuable guns in your home or about your person. On the good side, I don't know of anyone who reads "Commercial Appeal", in fact, I've never even heard the name until they started this stunt.

FrankC

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Maybe we should get the names then of all the anti-gun nuts who support such a thing and put those names in the paper under a column titled "The following addresses are gun-free homes." See what they would think of that.

I LOL'd at this one...Good call! See how anti-gun advocates like having their addresses publicized along with the info that they are unarmed. The only way to add to that would be to add pics of the occupants in front of said homes.

M

McX

imported post

What the hell?! What happened to the right to privacy?! Since when is an attempt at written public humiliation legal?! CC-ers have committed NO crime(s)! Someone needs to get sued on this one bigtime!

M

McX

imported post

oh yes, Hello Tennesseans. Lived near Elizabethton for 10 years! Back home in Wisconsin now.

Lthrnck

imported post

Kwikrnu,

Here is why they shouldn't be able to print CC'ers information.

Woman get CC permit/license because she has a restraining order against her ex-husband/boyfriend/stalker/etc. etc. etc.. She has moved away and is trying to keep a low profile from the above mentioned idiots.

Now a newspaper gets ahold of the CC'ers personal information and prints it. Depend on how assine they are they print all the information, Name Address, etc. etc. and now she is moving again.

Need anymore justification...

gravedigger

imported post

This B.S. also occurred in northern Commiefornia some time ago. Some left coast liberal rag published the names of all CCW holders on the FRONT PAGE. The feedback to the paper reached HUNDREDS of comments, mostly blasting the paper and the "reporter" for the act.

What is wrong with publishing the identity of CCW holders? PLENTY!

Yes, it is a matter of "public record" but the INTENT of public records is for someone who has a specific interest in a specific person to have that information available. The intent of public records is NOT for some gun-hating pantywaist gay reporter to go dig up all of the names and publish them out of spite. The ONLY reason this sort of information would be published is out of a desire by the reporter and the paper to make the lives of cCW holders miserable.

Think about it. What would be the PURPOSE for doing that? It isn't as if he published the names of all people who have committed a crime. He isn't publishing the names of all child molesters living in the area. These are LAWFUL gun owners who LAWFULLY carry, and the PURPOSE of a Concealed Carry permit is just that. It is supposed to be CONCEALED, as in, when you walk into a store, the other people are NOT supposed to know you are carrying it!

Scenario: Bob Patriot owns a hardware store and carries a pistol for self-defense. Bob's face is often seen on his TV commercials. Betty Busybody is a gun-hating leftist liberal who thinks that NO ONE should have a gun. Betty watches a lot of TV as she sits home on welfare.

Bob's name is published in the paper as a GUN OWNER and a CONCEALED CARRIER. Betty recognizes Bob's name. Bob doesn't know Betty. Bob doesn't know about Betty's anti-gun crusade because it was not published in a newspaper.

Bob, with his wife and children are having lunch at Burger King. Betty Busybody waddles in with her three illegitimate children by three different fathers. Betty recognizes Bob from the commercials and selects a table on the other side of the restaurant to be far away from the "gun nut."

Two armed men burst into the store with loaded shotguns demanding cash from the registers and the safe.

SEVERAL THINGS happen next:

1. Bob's attention is completely focused on the Bad Guys (BGs). Bob KNOWS he is not Bruce Willis and he doesn't want to get involved in a simple robbery, but he is prepared to defend his life and those of his family, should the shotguns be pointed in his direction, and he probably would also defend the life of Betty Busybody if necessary, because Bob is a conservative patriot.

2. Betty suddenly realizes that her life is in imminent danger. Of course, being a liberal, she is too damned stupid to keep her mouth shut.

3. Bob is waiting to see if they will just grab the money and run.

4. Betty stands up, motions to Bob and yells, "Bob! Shoot them!"

5. BGs' attention turns to Bob, who does not have his weapon drawn, and now BGs knows that Bob has a gun.

6. BGs shoot and kills Bob and his family. Then they shoot several other people, but they run out of ammo before they can kill ALL of the witnesses.

7. Betty Busybody's life and those of her bastard children are spared.

8. Betty gets in front of EVERY TV camera she can find to spout how she has "always said" people should not have guns. "BOB had a gun, and it didn't help HIM! ..."

Alternate ending:

1. Bob's attention is completely focused on the Bad Guys (BGs). Bob KNOWS he is not carrying and he doesn't want to draw attention to his family. Bob is cursing himself for leaving his firearm in the car.

2. Betty suddenly realizes that her life is in imminent danger. Of course, being a liberal, she is too damned stupid to keep her mouth shut.

3. Bob is waiting to see if they will just grab the money and run.

4. Betty stands up, motions to Bob and yells, "Bob! Shoot them!"

5. BGs' attention turns to Bob, who does not have his weapon, but BGs don't know that.

6. BGs shoot and kills Bob and his family. Then they shoot several other people, but they run out of ammo before they can kill ALL of the witnesses.

7. Betty Busybody's life and those of her bastard children are spared.

8. Betty gets in front of EVERY TV camera she can find to spout how she has "always said" people should not have guns. "BOB had a gun, and it didn't help HIM! ..."

Now, you know damned well that this scenario is NOT far fetched. This is only ONE reason that CCW license holders should not be OUTED in a public newspaper.

FrankC

imported post

This type of thing truly disgusts me, if you outed any other group you would get the bejesus sued out of you for it and possibly face criminal charges. The person(s) responsible for this article should be required now to publish their name(s), addresses and whether or not they keep a gun in the house.

Lthrnck

imported post

Gravedigger,

Here'sanother possible outcome...

Bob realizes that Betty has just blown his concealed carry, and starts drawing his weapon just as the BG's start turning and firing.

Bob takes whatever cover he can find, but takes some shot to his body, but he is able to return fire. Why because Bob has continued to train and practice his training.

He drops the closets BG in his socks, but the other chicken shit runs out the door and excapes.

Sadly Bob's wife took the whole shot and did not survive, his children were slightly wounded but will survive. Now Bob has to deal with: 1. Knowing he just killed someone. 2. Losing his wife 3.Dealing with his injuried children 4. The one that got away may come back later to settle up. Oh and yes Betty files some stupid lawsuit against Bob for emotional distress.

But the best case is...

Bob is able to draw and drop both BG's. His family is not injuried at all. Betty still sues him for emotional distress, it gets to court.... the judge finds the suit to be friviolous and orders Betty to pay all legal fee's, even Bob's. Then sentences Betty to 30 Community Service to be served cleaning up brass at the local shooting ranges.

FrankC

imported post

I like the ending where Bob grabs Betty and uses her fat welfare ass for a human shield and calmly shoots both bad guys while hiding in the folds of her blubber as well as sheltering his wife and children. Bob knows when all is over what services he has performed for his community and needs no thanks: one welfare cow put to good use and finally existing on her own and two bg who will never bother anyone else.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

FrankC wrote:
I like the ending where Bob grabs Betty and uses her fat welfare ass for a human shield and calmly shoots both bad guys while hiding in the folds of her blubber as well as sheltering his wife and children. Bob knows when all is over what services he has performed for his community and needs no thanks: one welfare cow put to good use and finally existing on her own and two bg who will never bother anyone else.
Now that is a Happy Ending to a story!!

mrjam2jab

imported post

Delaware requires the applicant to take out an ad in his/her local paper telling of his intent of obtaining a carry permit.

§ 1441. License to carry concealed deadly weapons. (a) A person of full age and good moral character desiring to be licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon for personal protection or the protection of the person's property may be licensed to do so when the following conditions have been strictly complied with:
...(b) The Prothonotary of the county in which any applicant for a license files the same shall cause notice of every such application to be published once, at least 10 days before the next term of the Superior Court. The publication shall be made in a newspaper of general circulation published in the county. In making such publication it shall be sufficient for the Prothonotary to do the same as a list in alphabetical form stating therein simply the name and residence of each applicant respectively.

The law says the Prothonotary will do it...but everything else i read says applicant pays for it....