• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Wyoming Soon

ca2az96

imported post

Hello, I am visitingWyoming soon, and want to clarify a few things first. For informational purposes, I do not have a CCW, so these questions will be for someone with no permit. As I have read through your forum, I am confused on a couple things:

1.Can I carry in my car anywhere I want, or are there any restrictions?If so, what restrictions?

2. The Restaurant Carry map shows no restrictions. Can I OC in an Applebees, and haveA beer while doing so? Obviously, I am not wanting to drink excessively, but I want be clear on the law. Here in AZ, we can not even be in an establishment while OC'ing that serves alcohol, whether we are drinking or not.

3. If there is a business posted on the door, "No Firearms", can I still enter anyway? I know I must leave immediately if the business manager or owner asks me to, but what about just a sign without being asked to leave?

4. Am I required to inform a cop that there is a firearm in the car if I am stopped?

5. Is there any other locality (City of County) inWyoming that has the legal ability to deny me OC or Open Car Carry? If so, which localities? I will be mainly visiting Cheyenne.

6. Can I OC in National Forests in Wyoming? State Parks? City Parks? Any restrictions?

7. IsWyoming a "Stop and I.D." State? In other words, if I am walking somewhere, and OC'ing, can a cop stop and demand ID from me? Do I have the right to refuse ID?

I know I have asked a lot of questions, but I want to be clear on what I can and can not do while in your Beautiful State. When answering, can you please cite the law pertaining to my question? Thank you all for the help you will be offering!

AB

imported post

1. Restrictions - There are no statutory restrictions about open carry anywhere but remember, all Federal restrictions apply.

2. Restaurant/Alcohol - No open-carry statutory restriction to sit at a restaurant or bar and have a beverage.

3. Posted Signs - You would be trespassing

4. Inform officer of firearm - It is perfectly legal to OC in a vehicle as well as havea firearmin the glove box, there is no statutory requirement to inform an officer, in my opinion it is always best to exercise your 5th Amendment rights.

5. Local Municipalities - State law Preempts all county and municipalities, they have no business denying your rights.

6. OC in National Forests ,State Parks, City Parks - No restrictions, just remember the National Park prohibition is still in place til Feb, 2010.

7. Stop and I.D.- L.E. can stop you but if they have no reason to believe there is "criminal activity a-foot" they must let you be on your way, you are only required to give name and birth-date.

There aresome in law enforcement that wrongly apply CCW restrictions to open-carry situations, it is always best that anyone carrying review and know the law.

http://wyominggunowners.org/wyoming-gun-laws/

What parts of Wyoming are you visiting?

ca2az96

imported post

We're visiting Cheyenne for sure, as we are driving up from Colorado. We might go as far as Casper. I'm hoping to find a good job either in Cheyenne or Fort Collins, and live in Cheyenne. I love how Conservative/Libertarian Wyoming is. Arizona used to be that way, but too many Californians, Chicagoians, East-Coasters moving here. Hopefully, Wyoming doesn't meet the same fate. Thank you for answering my questions. I can't wait to visit, and I will definitely OC while there!

opusd2

imported post

As I've stated before, I loved living in Cheyenne and would move back in a heart beat if I could. But at the moment I just started a family and mommy makes a decent wage at her job with Oshkosh Corp who make military vehicles. But if anything should happen there, you can bet I will be pushing to move back west. The only reason I moved back to WI in the first place was because the XWife finished her tour of duty with the AF and wanted to be back closer to family. Hell, if I had know that she was going to give me the heave-ho one month after moving back, I would have stayed in WY and enjoyed life.

Ok, if the store is posted - don't OC, and I wouldn't CC either just because I don't have much for luck. Then again, I wouldn't have gone into that extablishment in the first place anyway.

In your car just toss your weapon on the seat, dash, whatever. I enjoyed a filled gunrack in my truck. And I am pretty sure you don't need to inform the stopping officer, although if you are wanted for something and are being patted down, you WILL be embarrassed when a lump is felt and it isn't attached to you.

I'd answer more, but it's been a couple of years since I was out there and legally carrying CC. OC at home, because my neighbors werre crazy like me and we all got along.