Thread: Freedom Fair Tacoma

Post imported post

Will I see any other open carriers down at the Freedom Fair on Ruston today?

Post imported post

Sorry, going to Orting to visit my g/f's kids and blow some stuff up. (with legal fireworks, of course...) Not much for being in crowds, sheeple creep me out.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

Went down last year, had no issues. Think there was as many cops as there were people attending. Would have gone this year, but was running around all morning and have a BBQ to attend @ 2 PM.

Post imported post

I'll head down at some point, it's walking distance from here. I'll be wearing my utilikilt and the Sig 1911.

Post imported post

Sorry, I don't have the legs for one of those...
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

It didn't take long. After about half an hour or so, no less then 14 police officers of various jurisdictions surrounded me. Officer R. Hovey asked me for my ID. I asked if I was being detained. He said no, so I wished him a nice day and turned to leave. He told me I needed to stay so I asked again. He then decided I was being detained and informed me that I needed to wait for the event organizer so they could trespass me. A woman arrived and told me I wasn't welcome with my sidearm. Everyone was polite, only a lot of terribly silly stern looks from the other officers.

They were aware of my recording them and announced it over the radio that I was recording and photographing police officers. Officer Hovey tried the "causes alarm" statute, I corrected him but he changed it to some sort of "reasonable person" limitation thing. Whatever. The event allows the free expression of speech, as there were a few booths of various religions, one even preaching through a bullhorn.

So there you go, trespassed from the FREEDOM FAIR for lawful firearms carry. Tacoma doesn't seem to learn.

Post imported post

Amazing! I attended the same 4th picnic in Snoqualmie this year as last. This year, I had a very uneventful time. Walked passed numerous LEOs, and didn't even get a second look. What a difference a year makes.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    It didn't take long.* After about half an hour or so, no less then 14 police officers of various jurisdictions surrounded me.* Officer R. Hovey asked me for my ID.* I asked if I was being detained.* He said no, so I wished him a nice day and turned to leave.* He told me I needed to stay so I asked again.* He then decided I was being detained and informed me that I needed to wait for the event organizer so they could trespass me.* A woman arrived and told me I wasn't welcome with my sidearm.* Everyone was polite, only a lot of terribly silly stern looks from the other officers.*

They were aware of my recording them and announced it over the radio that I was recording and photographing police officers.* Officer Hovey tried the "causes alarm" statute, I corrected him but he changed it to some sort of "reasonable person" limitation thing.* Whatever.* The event allows the free expression of speech, as there were a few booths of various religions, one even preaching through a bullhorn.

So there you go, trespassed from the FREEDOM FAIR for lawful firearms carry.* Tacoma doesn't seem to learn.

So they detained you for a lawful activity. WITHOUT prior clearance from the organizers....

Awesome... I wonder how they're going to justify an unlawful detention.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

So, what does a full page ad in the local rag cost? Perhaps one explaining how the "Freedom" Fair doesn't actually support, nor promote freedom....

A very LARGE public statement like that might get people talking.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:
    It didn't take long. After about half an hour or so, no less then 14 police officers of various jurisdictions surrounded me. Officer R. Hovey asked me for my ID. I asked if I was being detained. He said no, so I wished him a nice day and turned to leave. He told me I needed to stay so I asked again. He then decided I was being detained and informed me that I needed to wait for the event organizer so they could trespass me. A woman arrived and told me I wasn't welcome with my sidearm. Everyone was polite, only a lot of terribly silly stern looks from the other officers.

They were aware of my recording them and announced it over the radio that I was recording and photographing police officers. Officer Hovey tried the "causes alarm" statute, I corrected him but he changed it to some sort of "reasonable person" limitation thing. Whatever. The event allows the free expression of speech, as there were a few booths of various religions, one even preaching through a bullhorn.

So there you go, trespassed from the FREEDOM FAIR for lawful firearms carry. Tacoma doesn't seem to learn.

So they detained you for a lawful activity. WITHOUT prior clearance from the organizers....

Awesome... I wonder how they're going to justify an unlawful detention
    They claimed that they were responding to complaints. Vague as usual. The event organizers are the ones that might have been in the wrong. I am not sure they legally can ask me to leave a public venue. I asked one of the officers if they were on the clock with the City or hired as private security (since it's a private event), he sort of stuttered, and told me they were there to enforce the law. There may well be some illegality if it's a private event and the City is providing security free of charge. The lawyers will have the best answers.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

So do we get to see pics and hear the recordings or is it not prudent at this time?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    So do we get to see pics and hear the recordings or is it not prudent at this time?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Hahaha.....right on.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Mainsail,

You have PM.