• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freedom Fair Tacoma

bugly

imported post

Sorry, going to Orting to visit my g/f's kids and blow some stuff up. (with legal fireworks, of course...) Not much for being in crowds, sheeple creep me out.

compmanio365

imported post

Went down last year, had no issues. Think there was as many cops as there were people attending. Would have gone this year, but was running around all morning and have a BBQ to attend @ 2 PM.

Mainsail

imported post

It didn't take long. After about half an hour or so, no less then 14 police officers of various jurisdictions surrounded me. Officer R. Hovey asked me for my ID. I asked if I was being detained. He said no, so I wished him a nice day and turned to leave. He told me I needed to stay so I asked again. He then decided I was being detained and informed me that I needed to wait for the event organizer so they could trespass me. A woman arrived and told me I wasn't welcome with my sidearm. Everyone was polite, only a lot of terribly silly stern looks from the other officers.

They were aware of my recording them and announced it over the radio that I was recording and photographing police officers. Officer Hovey tried the "causes alarm" statute, I corrected him but he changed it to some sort of "reasonable person" limitation thing. Whatever. The event allows the free expression of speech, as there were a few booths of various religions, one even preaching through a bullhorn.

So there you go, trespassed from the FREEDOM FAIR for lawful firearms carry. Tacoma doesn't seem to learn.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Amazing! I attended the same 4th picnic in Snoqualmie this year as last. This year, I had a very uneventful time. Walked passed numerous LEOs, and didn't even get a second look. What a difference a year makes.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
It didn't take long.  After about half an hour or so, no less then 14 police officers of various jurisdictions surrounded me.  Officer R. Hovey asked me for my ID.  I asked if I was being detained.  He said no, so I wished him a nice day and turned to leave.  He told me I needed to stay so I asked again.  He then decided I was being detained and informed me that I needed to wait for the event organizer so they could trespass me.  A woman arrived and told me I wasn't welcome with my sidearm.  Everyone was polite, only a lot of terribly silly stern looks from the other officers. 

They were aware of my recording them and announced it over the radio that I was recording and photographing police officers.  Officer Hovey tried the "causes alarm" statute, I corrected him but he changed it to some sort of "reasonable person" limitation thing.  Whatever.  The event allows the free expression of speech, as there were a few booths of various religions, one even preaching through a bullhorn.

So there you go, trespassed from the FREEDOM FAIR for lawful firearms carry.  Tacoma doesn't seem to learn.

So they detained you for a lawful activity. WITHOUT prior clearance from the organizers....

Awesome... I wonder how they're going to justify an unlawful detention.

j2l3

imported post

So, what does a full page ad in the local rag cost? Perhaps one explaining how the "Freedom" Fair doesn't actually support, nor promote freedom....

A very LARGE public statement like that might get people talking.

Mainsail

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
It didn't take long. After about half an hour or so, no less then 14 police officers of various jurisdictions surrounded me. Officer R. Hovey asked me for my ID. I asked if I was being detained. He said no, so I wished him a nice day and turned to leave. He told me I needed to stay so I asked again. He then decided I was being detained and informed me that I needed to wait for the event organizer so they could trespass me. A woman arrived and told me I wasn't welcome with my sidearm. Everyone was polite, only a lot of terribly silly stern looks from the other officers.

They were aware of my recording them and announced it over the radio that I was recording and photographing police officers. Officer Hovey tried the "causes alarm" statute, I corrected him but he changed it to some sort of "reasonable person" limitation thing. Whatever. The event allows the free expression of speech, as there were a few booths of various religions, one even preaching through a bullhorn.

So there you go, trespassed from the FREEDOM FAIR for lawful firearms carry. Tacoma doesn't seem to learn.

So they detained you for a lawful activity. WITHOUT prior clearance from the organizers....

Awesome... I wonder how they're going to justify an unlawful detention
They claimed that they were responding to complaints. Vague as usual. The event organizers are the ones that might have been in the wrong. I am not sure they legally can ask me to leave a public venue. I asked one of the officers if they were on the clock with the City or hired as private security (since it's a private event), he sort of stuttered, and told me they were there to enforce the law. There may well be some illegality if it's a private event and the City is providing security free of charge. The lawyers will have the best answers.

Mainsail

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
So do we get to see pics and hear the recordings or is it not prudent at this time?
5755e8e5-8db2-44c1-9d16-76ba089267ba.jpg