• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This guy picked wrong place to rob.

cajunpapapump

imported post

High praise for ex-Flint police chief, Brad Barksdale, after killing shotgun-wielding robbery suspect at Burton poker room

FLINT, Michigan -- Like the ex-Flint police chief himself, the people who know Brad Barksdale are shooting straight about their former comrade.
Barksdale is being praised by many for the single bullet in the chest that killed a robbery suspect who shot his way into the Palace Poker Room in Burton early Wednesday morning with a shotgun.

"That guy picked the wrong place to rob," said Keith Speer, veteran cop and president of the Flint Police Officer's Assocation. "He's not going to miss a target he's intending to shoot.

"He's not going to take a threat lying down ... he's not going to let someone come in there and threaten a bunch of people. (Barksdale) did what I expected him to do."

Karen Pizzala, a retired Flint officer now living in Fenton, said Barksdale was never one to sit on the sidelines.

"Brad wouldn't let something like that go by," she said. "He's not one to close his eyes to something like that. He would always step in."

Flint police officer Drew Gauthier said he wasn't surprised to hear the recent news about Barksdale.

"He's no nonsense," he said. "If you break the law, he's going to do what he's got to do."

Gauthier worked as a patrol and school officer for Barksdale and said he was a great chief to work for.

"He worked the street with us," Gauthier said. "He understood what the officers were putting up with because he did it too."

Barksdale became chief in 2000 after coming up through the ranks and earning a reputation as a tough-minded, street cop.

"He came through the blood and the guts," said Speer. "He did everything and then some that he ever asked anyone to do. That is why so many people have respect for him."

Online readers through Mlive.com were quick to applaud Barksdale as well.

"(Barksdale) protected all the people in the poker room that had no idea what was about to happen to them," wrote poster vicit. "God only knows how many lives could have been taken by the gunman. Thank you for putting yourself in harm's way for all the patrons of the Palace. You are a HERO to me."

Barksdale left the top police post in Flint as former mayor Don Williamson was poised to take over control of the city from Emergency Financial Manager Ed Kurtz in July 2004.

Scott Kincaid, longtime member of the Flint City Council, said he hated to see Barksdale leave.

"I thought he did an excellent job," Kincaid said. "He always impressed me."

Burton Police are still working to identify the alleged thief.

-----------------------------------------------------

One shot to the chest, not bad
icon_eek.gif