Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC in MAJOR way

Post imported post

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I started OC'ing about this time last year and have carried daily everywhere I go. My normal carry is a Glock 26 in a Blackhawk Serpa on right hip during day and a slightly larger Glock 19 with night sights and light at night.

OC'd in every store/restaurant/etc imaginable and I have had zero problems to speak of in that time (nice discussion with my bank manager though). Plenty of people take notice, and if they ever look concerned I just give them a big smile and say something friendly so they understand I'm not a threat....

For this 4th of July, in celebration of our freedoms, I decided to step it up. I wore a custom rig that Galco made for me: 2 matching Glock 17L on my lower back with a sholder rig that has quad mag holders on each side. The Glocks had 17rd mags with 2rd extensions and the sholder rig held 8 additional 17rd mags. That's a total of 174 rounds (for those counting) Could have had 2 extra rds, but I chose not to have rounds chambered due to possible weapon retention scenarios in the crowd.

My wife was concerned that we would have problems due to the number of law enforcement officers in attendance. She thought it was a bit over the top, but in my mind I kept thinking I was compromising already by not wearing my thigh setup as well with 4 of the 33rd mags...

I spent time the night before re-memorizing all the applicable laws so I could cite code if needed. I wore the whole setup the entire day (surprisingly comfortable--but heavy). Started the day at the parade in Centerville where hundreds of people saw me and I had nice conversations with many of them.

After the parade I took the family to Village Inn for food. The place was slammed and I got some serious looks from other patrons while we stood around in the front waiting for a table. Rest of the day was just around town with family.

Not practical for everyday carry of course, but people definitely took notice and it gave me several good opportunities to educate.

Pics from the parade attached:

Post imported post

Excellent first post!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Welcome to OCDO!

ETA: If I saw you in public, your shoes would worry me more than the firepower. :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'll just say WOW! :shock: So what were some of the conversations you had?
    The picture of you from behind reminds me of Nicholas Cage in Face off. Great movie!
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Thanks. I owe a lot to the people on this forum and the resources of opencarry.org Without all the stories related here, it's possible that I wouldn't be OC'ing at all, and it's almost certain that I would have handled several encounters far less gracefully (to say the least).

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    ETA: If I saw you in public, your shoes would worry me more than the firepower. :P
    hahaha. Only on this forum would someone notice my shoes instead of the guns! Honestly thought, I do get a lot of comments about those shoes. They are hands down the most comfortable shoes I have (I actually have several pair like that). If you like the barefoot feel, but don't want to get cut/burned/etc. they are the way to go. I wear them as my normal everyday shoes...
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Post imported post

from the moment i saw "2 glocks" in his post... i knew kevin was going to love this guy LOL!

ok we gotta meet ya and hang out somewhere dude!

welcome, and im glad to see more peeps carrying!

Post imported post

My brother in-law loves footwear that is different, I will have to send him a link to this page.

As far as holding the record for highest quantity of rounds carried openly, I think you've got it.

TJ once carried over 100 rounds and two guns, but I think his round count was closer to 130.

packingmama wrote:
    The picture of you from behind reminds me of Nicholas Cage in Face off.
    While the gold 1911's were far nicer that the 17L's, leeland's holster and shoulder harness put Nick's holster to shame!

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

ah! no sir, i hold the record for most rounds carried! i was up payson canyon OCing (well fishing mostly) my AR-15, with 180rounds in mags!! (well doesnt count for OC around town, but hey!)

(but if were gonna get TECHNICAL, we DO take the 550 round .22 bulk boxes to west mountain )

also, how was your 4th of july in iraq kevin! thank you for serving

(edit: i said clips and not mags... gah im gonna get hell for this one)

Post imported post

packingmama wrote:
    I'll just say WOW! :shock: So what were some of the conversations you had?
    Honestly, just the usual stuff:
    "Can you do that?" -- yes, and so can you. Would you like me to tell you more?
    "Is that legal?", "Is that a real gun?", etc. -- yes

The only exceptional things were:
    1. For once no one asked me if I was a police officer the entire day.
    2. An older woman sitting near me during the parade said that the guns made her nervous. This resulted in a slightly longer than usual conversation about why I carry a weapon (to protect myself and those around me...) At the end of our talk, she said she was glad I was sitting near them.

Honestly, even though I know the applicable laws inside out, a part of me keeps expecting someone to freak out. Maybe next year I can bring it up another notch. I figure if I start working out now, I could pack a few of my Barrett .50's Now that would turn some heads...

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    ah! no sir, i hold the record for most rounds carried! i was up payson canyon OCing (well fishing mostly) my AR-15, with 180rounds in mags!! (well doesnt count for OC around town, but hey!)
    Awww. I knew I should have strapped on that thigh rig. 4 sticks at 33rds each would have given me another 132 rounds bringing the total to: 306

Post imported post

OK, two G17L's, a G19, a G26 and now this...

leeland wrote:
    I could pack a few of my Barrett .50's Now that would turn some heads...
    ...you sir are my new best friend! So when can I come over and hang out? :P

Post imported post

leeland! why didnt you join earlier! GAH!

ok, we need to have an OC meet/BBQ freakin SOON! fishing spot preferably hahaha (gold panning works too!)

Post imported post

leeland wrote:
    She thought it was a bit over the top, but in my mind I kept thinking I was compromising already by not wearing my thigh setup as well with 4 of the 33rd mags...
    Whoa!
    I think you just made a bunch of OC friends!!
    Sweet job with the OC to the festivities, good time bro!

Centurion

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    leeland! why didnt you join earlier! GAH!

ok, we need to have an OC meet/BBQ freakin SOON! fishing spot preferably hahaha (gold panning works too!)
    B1ack5mith... you know the rules.... NOW SET IT UP!!!! LOL
    and let us in the forum know when and where!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

I love it nice rig glad it went well for you. Glock is my personal favorite Serpa is my 1st Favorite Holster So Way to Go :celebrate
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

well, i kind of want to wait till sgt. Jensen gets back (its not the same without him) so we can hold off for awhile!

Post imported post

So it sounds like U just decided to do 2 get togethers... one soon, and one when SGT Jensen gets back... LOl

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Bushidonate wrote:
    So it sounds like U just decided to do 2 get togethers... one soon, and one when SGT Jensen gets back... LOl
    I agree 100%
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I NOMINATE Packingmama to do the organizing of this one! shes better at it, and she has cool ideas lol! *hopes everyone looks at her and stops staring at me* LOL!!!

the weather has been really nice for outdoorsey stuff though! caught a few trout up payson canyon yesterday

Post imported post

Lara Croft, eat yer heart out....:celebrate

Now I really want a rig like that and another 1911.....

Post imported post

can I play devils advocate for a minute? First I just have to say I think its great that you oc & think its awesome to see that much hardware, personally if I had that much hardware & a wife that would let me I would do the same!

Okay so now for the flip side: a question that almost everyone asks me: why do you need that many rounds? (I always carry 24 rounds, 2- 12round mags). First they notice my XD .40 so they start asking about taht then they notice my extra mag. In talking with these people they always ask are you that scared or paranoid to need that many rounds? I guess their logic is if you can't hit something with 1-5 rounds then there's a problem, & having to be accountable for those bullets in a shooting scenario etc.

I was just curious if it was just for show or like these people are you that paranoid. How many roundsdo you or anyone normally carry?

Personally I am nervousjust having 24rounds let alone more, I get even more nervous with large crowds/people, I'm always watching peoples hands, I've even had to put my hand on my firearm on occasions.I'm comfortable around guns, shooting, but when I'm carrying openly, in public or whatever I get a little nervous...does that make sense?

Post imported post

I carry spare mags because most failures in a semi auto can be traced directly back to the magazine. Therefore, if i get a double feed, I will just change mags and most likely I will have solved the problem.

I normally carry 30 rounds, would be 46 if I had another mag, and would be 47 if I had a CWP.

Post imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
    can I play devils advocate for a minute?...snip...
    I was just curious if it was just for show or like these people are you that paranoid. How much do you or anyone normally carry?
    In my original post I listed what guns I normally carry (either G26 or G19--day vs. night). I normally only have a single extra magazine with me and even that is often not on my belt. I personally consider this to be an acceptable compromise between comfort, convenience, security, etc. If I were to make an attempt to "carry for any encounter" I would be carrying much more than a pistol. A pistol is what you use to fight your way to your real weapon.

Also, my weapons/mags are tested often and reliable.

That particular rig was put together for 2 reasons:
    1. It's actually very practical at a range. I can setup targets, step up to the firing line and shoot 170+ rounds without having to stop and reload mags. Having the 2 pistols is also a constant reminder to me to stay proficient shooting with either hand; and no, I don't go all gangster blazing away with both at the same time (at least not that often ).
    2. Why not! I enjoy shooting and I thought it would be fun.

Post imported post

leeland wrote:
    1. It's actually very practical at a range. I can setup targets, step up to the firing line and shoot 170+ rounds without having to stop and reload mags. 2. Why not! I enjoy shooting and I thought it would be fun.
    I enjoy shooting too & that is a pretty sweet set up! I for one hate having to stop & reload mags so something like that would come in handy. I'mnot that much into guns (don't get me wrong I love them, grew up going shooting, hunting etc) but never owned a gun until several months ago & mainly got it for the purpose of protecting my family/self. I love carrying, I guess if I had the luxury of having more guns or able to goshooting frequentlythan I might carry like that.

I try to go to the range at least once a week. How often do any of you go? Should I be going more?

Post imported post

leeland wrote:
    Having the 2 pistols is also a constant reminder to me to stay proficient shooting with either hand; and no, I don't go all gangster blazing away with both at the same time (at least not that often ).
    ...guilty. I have tried this a few times out west, and realized that there is no way to aim the damn things!

I have a pistol belt with a SERPA attached to each side that I wore only a few times.

I can hit a target OK left handed, but drawing from the SERPA weak side just feels strange!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast