• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in MAJOR way

leeland

imported post

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I started OC'ing about this time last year and have carried daily everywhere I go. My normal carry is a Glock 26 in a Blackhawk Serpa on right hip during day and a slightly larger Glock 19 with night sights and light at night.

OC'd in every store/restaurant/etc imaginable and I have had zero problems to speak of in that time (nice discussion with my bank manager though). Plenty of people take notice, and if they ever look concerned I just give them a big smile and say something friendly so they understand I'm not a threat....

For this 4th of July, in celebration of our freedoms, I decided to step it up. I wore a custom rig that Galco made for me: 2 matching Glock 17L on my lower back with a sholder rig that has quad mag holders on each side. The Glocks had 17rd mags with 2rd extensions and the sholder rig held 8 additional 17rd mags. That's a total of 174 rounds (for those counting) :D Could have had 2 extra rds, but I chose not to have rounds chambered due to possible weapon retention scenarios in the crowd.

My wife was concerned that we would have problems due to the number of law enforcement officers in attendance. She thought it was a bit over the top, but in my mind I kept thinking I was compromising already by not wearing my thigh setup as well with 4 of the 33rd mags... ;)

I spent time the night before re-memorizing all the applicable laws so I could cite code if needed. I wore the whole setup the entire day (surprisingly comfortable--but heavy). Started the day at the parade in Centerville where hundreds of people saw me and I had nice conversations with many of them.

After the parade I took the family to Village Inn for food. The place was slammed and I got some serious looks from other patrons while we stood around in the front waiting for a table. Rest of the day was just around town with family.

Not practical for everyday carry of course, but people definitely took notice and it gave me several good opportunities to educate.

Pics from the parade attached:
front.jpg
back.jpg

relaxing.jpg

G17s.jpg

G17s-2.jpg

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Excellent first post!!! :celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

Welcome to OCDO!

ETA: If I saw you in public, your shoes would worry me more than the firepower. :p

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll just say WOW! :shock: So what were some of the conversations you had?
The picture of you from behind reminds me of Nicholas Cage in Face off. Great movie! :)

leeland

imported post

Thanks. I owe a lot to the people on this forum and the resources of opencarry.org Without all the stories related here, it's possible that I wouldn't be OC'ing at all, and it's almost certain that I would have handled several encounters far less gracefully (to say the least).

leeland

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
ETA: If I saw you in public, your shoes would worry me more than the firepower. :p

hahaha. Only on this forum would someone notice my shoes instead of the guns! Honestly thought, I do get a lot of comments about those shoes. They are hands down the most comfortable shoes I have (I actually have several pair like that). If you like the barefoot feel, but don't want to get cut/burned/etc. they are the way to go. I wear them as my normal everyday shoes...
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

b1ack5mith

imported post

from the moment i saw "2 glocks" in his post... i knew kevin was going to love this guy LOL!

ok we gotta meet ya and hang out somewhere dude!

welcome, and im glad to see more peeps carrying!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

My brother in-law loves footwear that is different, I will have to send him a link to this page. ;)

As far as holding the record for highest quantity of rounds carried openly, I think you've got it.

TJ once carried over 100 rounds and two guns, but I think his round count was closer to 130.

packingmama wrote:
The picture of you from behind reminds me of Nicholas Cage in Face off.
While the gold 1911's were far nicer that the 17L's, leeland's holster and shoulder harness put Nick's holster to shame!

faceoff-147x150.jpg

b1ack5mith

imported post

ah! no sir, i hold the record for most rounds carried! i was up payson canyon OCing (well fishing mostly) my AR-15, with 180rounds in mags!! (well doesnt count for OC around town, but hey!)

(but if were gonna get TECHNICAL, we DO take the 550 round .22 bulk boxes to west mountain ;))

also, how was your 4th of july in iraq kevin! thank you for serving :)

(edit: i said clips and not mags... gah im gonna get hell for this one)

leeland

imported post

packingmama wrote:
I'll just say WOW! :shock: So what were some of the conversations you had?
Honestly, just the usual stuff:
"Can you do that?" -- yes, and so can you. Would you like me to tell you more?
"Is that legal?", "Is that a real gun?", etc. -- yes

The only exceptional things were:
1. For once no one asked me if I was a police officer the entire day. :)
2. An older woman sitting near me during the parade said that the guns made her nervous. This resulted in a slightly longer than usual conversation about why I carry a weapon (to protect myself and those around me...) At the end of our talk, she said she was glad I was sitting near them.

Honestly, even though I know the applicable laws inside out, a part of me keeps expecting someone to freak out. Maybe next year I can bring it up another notch. I figure if I start working out now, I could pack a few of my Barrett .50's Now that would turn some heads... :D

leeland

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
ah! no sir, i hold the record for most rounds carried! i was up payson canyon OCing (well fishing mostly) my AR-15, with 180rounds in mags!! (well doesnt count for OC around town, but hey!)
Awww. I knew I should have strapped on that thigh rig. 4 sticks at 33rds each would have given me another 132 rounds bringing the total to: 306 ;)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

OK, two G17L's, a G19, a G26 and now this...

leeland wrote:
I could pack a few of my Barrett .50's Now that would turn some heads... :D
...you sir are my new best friend! ;) So when can I come over and hang out? :p

b1ack5mith

imported post

leeland! why didnt you join earlier! GAH!

ok, we need to have an OC meet/BBQ freakin SOON! fishing spot preferably ;) hahaha (gold panning works too!)

scorpioajr

imported post

leeland wrote:
She thought it was a bit over the top, but in my mind I kept thinking I was compromising already by not wearing my thigh setup as well with 4 of the 33rd mags...
Whoa!
I think you just made a bunch of OC friends!!
Sweet job with the OC to the festivities, good time bro!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
leeland! why didnt you join earlier! GAH!

ok, we need to have an OC meet/BBQ freakin SOON! fishing spot preferably ;) hahaha (gold panning works too!)
B1ack5mith... you know the rules.... NOW SET IT UP!!!! LOL
and let us in the forum know when and where!

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I love it nice rig glad it went well for you. Glock is my personal favorite Serpa is my 1st Favorite Holster So Way to Go :celebrate

b1ack5mith

imported post

I NOMINATE Packingmama to do the organizing of this one! shes better at it, and she has cool ideas lol! *hopes everyone looks at her and stops staring at me* LOL!!!

the weather has been really nice for outdoorsey stuff though! caught a few trout up payson canyon yesterday :D