• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in MAJOR way

bmeldrum

imported post

can I play devils advocate for a minute? First I just have to say I think its great that you oc & think its awesome to see that much hardware, personally if I had that much hardware & a wife that would let me I would do the same!:D

Okay so now for the flip side: a question that almost everyone asks me: why do you need that many rounds? (I always carry 24 rounds, 2- 12round mags). First they notice my XD .40 so they start asking about taht then they notice my extra mag. In talking with these people they always ask are you that scared or paranoid to need that many rounds? I guess their logic is if you can't hit something with 1-5 rounds then there's a problem, & having to be accountable for those bullets in a shooting scenario etc.

I was just curious if it was just for show or like these people are you that paranoid. How many roundsdo you or anyone normally carry?

Personally I am nervousjust having 24rounds let alone more, I get even more nervous with large crowds/people, I'm always watching peoples hands, I've even had to put my hand on my firearm on occasions.I'm comfortable around guns, shooting, but when I'm carrying openly, in public or whatever I get a little nervous...does that make sense?

thx997303

imported post

I carry spare mags because most failures in a semi auto can be traced directly back to the magazine. Therefore, if i get a double feed, I will just change mags and most likely I will have solved the problem.

I normally carry 30 rounds, would be 46 if I had another mag, and would be 47 if I had a CWP.

leeland

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
can I play devils advocate for a minute?...snip...
I was just curious if it was just for show or like these people are you that paranoid. How much do you or anyone normally carry?
In my original post I listed what guns I normally carry (either G26 or G19--day vs. night). I normally only have a single extra magazine with me and even that is often not on my belt. I personally consider this to be an acceptable compromise between comfort, convenience, security, etc. If I were to make an attempt to "carry for any encounter" I would be carrying much more than a pistol. A pistol is what you use to fight your way to your real weapon. ;)

Also, my weapons/mags are tested often and reliable.

That particular rig was put together for 2 reasons:
1. It's actually very practical at a range. I can setup targets, step up to the firing line and shoot 170+ rounds without having to stop and reload mags. Having the 2 pistols is also a constant reminder to me to stay proficient shooting with either hand; and no, I don't go all gangster blazing away with both at the same time (at least not that often :)).
2. Why not! I enjoy shooting and I thought it would be fun.

bmeldrum

imported post

leeland wrote:
1. It's actually very practical at a range. I can setup targets, step up to the firing line and shoot 170+ rounds without having to stop and reload mags. 2. Why not! I enjoy shooting and I thought it would be fun.

I enjoy shooting too & that is a pretty sweet set up! I for one hate having to stop & reload mags so something like that would come in handy. I'mnot that much into guns (don't get me wrong I love them, grew up going shooting, hunting etc) but never owned a gun until several months ago & mainly got it for the purpose of protecting my family/self. I love carrying, I guess if I had the luxury of having more guns or able to goshooting frequentlythan I might carry like that.

I try to go to the range at least once a week. How often do any of you go? Should I be going more?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

leeland wrote:
Having the 2 pistols is also a constant reminder to me to stay proficient shooting with either hand; and no, I don't go all gangster blazing away with both at the same time (at least not that often :)).
...guilty. ;) I have tried this a few times out west, and realized that there is no way to aim the damn things!

I have a pistol belt with a SERPA attached to each side that I wore only a few times.

I can hit a target OK left handed, but drawing from the SERPA weak side just feels strange!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
can I play devils advocate for a minute?
I think such a rig is a GREAT statement for those occasions when one really wants to and should make a statement about OC. I think Independence Day (let's not get too careless in just calling it by the date on which it falls) and Election Day are fine days to do just that.

My only concern is the one stated by the OP and that is retention with two guns OC'd on the back in what looked to be non-retention holsters.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Just in case anyone is interested, leeland has this set up for sale.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8451446&lpid=&cat=185

15280404.jpg

GeneticsDave

imported post

He's done a good job maintaining and upgrading those - too bad the slides have so much wear... guess that comes with daily carry though.

@Leeland - are you coming to the dinner on Nov 5?

leeland

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
He's done a good job maintaining and upgrading those - too bad the slides have so much wear... guess that comes with daily carry though.

@Leeland - are you coming to the dinner on Nov 5?
I thought long and hard about charging extra for the beauty marks on the slide. Do you have any idea how many hours of practice draws and carrying it takes to wear the Glock Nitride bluing down to that gorgeous, soft tennifer finish? The ad should have read "Subtle two tone gray/black finish on slides gives depth and character"
;)

Seriously though, the teniffer treatment goes much deeper than the bluing and the slides are still plenty protected (i.e. cosmetic issue only). I've always valued form over function...

I would really love to come to the dinner, but will be driving down to FrontSight for their 4day defensive handgun course. It ended up that my brother bought the set (had to keep it in the family) so maybe he can mike the dinner.

GeneticsDave

imported post

You'll enjoy the course, it's great.

I hope no offense was taken from my comment. Most holsters do wear on the firearms put in them, and with tactical length firearms (5"+), usually some of the slide hangs out of the holster and rubs/knocks into things. This is unfortunate, but does happen.

Please do let your brother know about the dinner, and if he does come, make him wear the getup. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, what are you going to do with the $$$ from the sale? Are you working on anything specific?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

leeland wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
ETA:  If I saw you in public, your shoes would worry me more than the firepower.  :p

hahaha. Only on this forum would someone notice my shoes instead of the guns! Honestly thought, I do get a lot of comments about those shoes. They are hands down the most comfortable shoes I have (I actually have several pair like that). If you like the barefoot feel, but don't want to get cut/burned/etc. they are the way to go. I wear them as my normal everyday shoes...
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
A girl in one of my classes wears those. She loves them, too.

Me, I'm satisfied with my Justin work boots.