Hi all. I just joined this site in hopes of getting advise on what I need to know, as I am about to move to VA. I have had the VA non-resident permit since day one (5 years) and have just submitted my renewal. My current home state permit (Michigan) is also recognized by VA, and since I still have a house in MI, I plan on keepeing a MI permit too (along with my Florida and a few others). My job is in Arlington (starts August 3), so as much as I hate the congestion of NOVA, I will have to live within a reasonable distance of work. So, here are a few questions.
1. Would I get hassled by anyone for open carrying in Arlington? I am asking primarily for the purpose of going to a restaurant that serves alcohol.
2. Are there any local ordinances I need to be aware of, like against open carry, etc.? Someone told me that Leesburg had one, but I am not sure how reliable that information is.
3. Can I carry on the Metro (open or concealed), assuming of course that I stay in VA and do not go into Maryland or D.C.?
4. Are there any places that qualify as federal proterty or oterhwise off-limits that one could mistakenly find themselves in? I was told that George Washington Parkway is off limits bacause it is federal property.
5. Most importantly, where should I look for a house to be in a gun friendly area? In Michigan I was used to a 55 mile commute (took 45 minutes), but in NOVA I have been told that would be 2 hours. I was told to go west off I-66. Any suggestions? Any counties better or worse than others?
6. Any issues specific to Virginia for carrying at work? I was happy to see that my company doesn't have a no-guns sign on the front door (I wouldn't take the job of they did), and I didn't find anything in the employee manual saying that I can't carry. I carried during the interviews and plan on carrying when I start working there. Anyone see any problems with that?
Thanks for all your help. I plan on joining VCDL. Any other VA organizations I should know about?