Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Walmart

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783

    Post imported post

    Went to Walmart yesterday,had a 38 revolver strapped to my side like I always do.Went to buy some 32s . The guy behind the counter asked if that was a "live" gun. I said it was,he replied he didnt think Walmart allowed hand guns inside the store,but he didnt care that I had it.I told him it was totally legal and I didnt believe Walmart had such a policy. He was not 100% sure anyway. I have read some posts here that leads me to believe they dont have such a policy. I also believe it could be the ignorence of the employee and start some sh@#. I left without incodent. I didnt want to bring the sign thing up.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, ,
    Posts
    169

    Post imported post

    This is also something i've wondered about, I know technically it's legal to open carry in North Carolina and in some areas but is wal-mart one of those? I live in Charlotte and just recently there seems to have been a spike in crime around the university area, thus I was going to start OCing when I go to general businesses.

    Does anybody know wal-marts policy, or targets, etc. any big name business and there policy towards firearms would be great information.

    Last week somebody got robbed and car jacked at the wal mart near me, and he had a gun in the car in the glove box, but what good does the gun do there?
    Any information would be appreciated.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    I have open carried in most of the large stores in and around Durham and RTP without any trouble. The only store that was not posted that had a problem with open carry was Costco. I regularly visit Target, Walmart, Lowes, Kroger, Foodlion, Home Depot and many others with my 1911 on my hip.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    The only place the law applies is local, county, state, or federal property. However, there are even some exceptions there. State rest areas and gamelands being 2 of them. I believe Cary regulates OC on sidewalks, but once you are in the parking lot going to the store the law does not apply. At least that is what I have gathered here. Basically the state does not even try to "regulate" OC on private property. However, if asked to leave and you don't then you start dealing with trespassing issues instead of gun related issues.

    Here is a site to chek out local laws if they are listed on the net.

    http://www.municode.com/Resources/co...asp?stateID=33

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, ,
    Posts
    169

    Post imported post

    I appreciate the info guys. I know how scared regular people can get around loaded guns, there is alot to be afraid of if you don't know anything about them, just want to be sure i'm in the right if confronted by a LEO.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    70

    Post imported post

    I have carried many times in the wally world by me on Battleground. I have not once been asked about it or have had any problems. I carry a Glock 23C on my hip OC in a Fobus molded paddle holster. I dont know if that matters as it looks like something a LEO might carry, or if its the area or just what. Regardless, I will still keep OCing in there. Seems like watching the news, wal-mart is becoming a hot spot to need one with recent robbing/car-jacking.



    Semper Fi!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    134

    Post imported post

    I live in VA but am down in Goldsboro and Mt. Olive a good bit and in Greensboro every once in a while. It's never been a problem when I open carry in the Goldsboro and Mt. Olive.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    Wal-Marts corporate policy is to honor and follow the laws of the state and city in which each individual store is located.

    Therefore, OC is fine in NC stores.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    RayBurton72 wrote:
    Wal-Marts corporate policy is to honor and follow the laws of the state and city in which each individual store is located.

    Therefore, OC is fine in NC stores.
    Do you have this in writing for others to present to uneducated managers??

  10. #10
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    It is current WalMart policy to abide by state laws with regards to carry, either OC or CC. Generally, if a store is not posted, then it's OK to carry there, if it's otherwise legal for you to carry in that state or municipality.

    However, in many states, there are provisions in the law that allow for private property owners (and business owners/managers) to set their own firearms policies. In many states, even if a business is NOT posted, and a Manager or owner asks you to leave, you MUST leave, or you may be charged with trespassing.

    Here in NC (and in PA, WV, and VA), I've been OCing in WalMarts all over, and had absolutely no issues at all. In fact, the ONLY place I've ever been asked to leave was a trashy consignment chain store in Greenville called "Trade-It", and honestly, after about 15 minutes in that store, I was ready to leave anyway, because the stuff they had was all old, dirty, and "used hard and in bad condition" crap...

    Good luck with getting this figured out. Stay cool, don't draw attention to yourself, and if confronted by management, let them know (POLITELY) that you will glady leave, and take all your future business to a competitor, AND that you will be posting their policy on a National Gun Rights forum.

    What it essentially boils down to is the attitudes of the local manager, and the general community attituded toward OC in your area. Here in NC, folks are pretty cool with OC--even in urban areas (with a few exceptions). I guess I'm just lucky to live and travel where I do...

    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionŚand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    It is current WalMart policy to abide by state laws with regards to carry, either OC or CC. Generally, if a store is not posted, then it's OK to carry there, if it's otherwise legal for you to carry in that state or municipality.

    However, in many states, there are provisions in the law that allow for private property owners (and business owners/managers) to set their own firearms policies. In many states, even if a business is NOT posted, and a Manager or owner asks you to leave, you MUST leave, or you may be charged with trespassing.

    Here in NC (and in PA, WV, and VA), I've been OCing in WalMarts all over, and had absolutely no issues at all. In fact, the ONLY place I've ever been asked to leave was a trashy consignment chain store in Greenville called "Trade-It", and honestly, after about 15 minutes in that store, I was ready to leave anyway, because the stuff they had was all old, dirty, and "used hard and in bad condition" crap...

    Good luck with getting this figured out. Stay cool, don't draw attention to yourself, and if confronted by management, let them know (POLITELY) that you will glady leave, and take all your future business to a competitor, AND that you will be posting their policy on a National Gun Rights forum.

    What it essentially boils down to is the attitudes of the local manager, and the general community attituded toward OC in your area. Here in NC, folks are pretty cool with OC--even in urban areas (with a few exceptions). I guess I'm just lucky to live and travel where I do...
    Do you have this policy in writing from them??

    This is the only information I can find on the topic:

    http://deadbangguns.com/Articles/WalMart.html

    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-300305.html

    Both of these posts are bad news for those who wish to open carry in walmart. The first is 10 years old, but I am assuming may still be valid.

    I emailed them today 1/1/2010and asked for a response from someone in the organization that could address corporate policy. I will post when (or if) I get a response on this.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    ocgso wrote:
    Dreamer wrote:
    It is current WalMart policy to abide by state laws with regards to carry, either OC or CC. Generally, if a store is not posted, then it's OK to carry there, if it's otherwise legal for you to carry in that state or municipality.

    However, in many states, there are provisions in the law that allow for private property owners (and business owners/managers) to set their own firearms policies. In many states, even if a business is NOT posted, and a Manager or owner asks you to leave, you MUST leave, or you may be charged with trespassing.

    Here in NC (and in PA, WV, and VA), I've been OCing in WalMarts all over, and had absolutely no issues at all. In fact, the ONLY place I've ever been asked to leave was a trashy consignment chain store in Greenville called "Trade-It", and honestly, after about 15 minutes in that store, I was ready to leave anyway, because the stuff they had was all old, dirty, and "used hard and in bad condition" crap...

    Good luck with getting this figured out. Stay cool, don't draw attention to yourself, and if confronted by management, let them know (POLITELY) that you will glady leave, and take all your future business to a competitor, AND that you will be posting their policy on a National Gun Rights forum.

    What it essentially boils down to is the attitudes of the local manager, and the general community attituded toward OC in your area. Here in NC, folks are pretty cool with OC--even in urban areas (with a few exceptions). I guess I'm just lucky to live and travel where I do...
    Do you have this policy in writing from them??

    This is the only information I can find on the topic:

    http://deadbangguns.com/Articles/WalMart.html

    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-300305.html

    Both of these posts are bad news for those who wish to open carry in walmart.┬* The first is 10 years old, but I am assuming may still be valid.

    I emailed them today 1/1/2010┬*and asked for a response from someone in the organization that could address corporate policy.┬* I will post when (or if) I get a response on this.
    I had an issue on 12-23. I got one phone call quick, the manager did state that they followed state and local laws. Then she said she did not think OC was legal and wanted to see the law that made it legal. I sent another email and have had no response. I'm trying to work my way up the food chain. Here is an interesting post from Defensive Carry from member 2 gunz on my post there. My printer is dead and I cannot find an email for this guy. Still trying to straighten our my local store.

    "First let me explain, I know the policy well because I am the department manager in charge of gun sales at a WalMart store.

    Unlike an Asst. Mgr or Store Manager I am required to study all the gun laws of all 50 states and those imposed by BATF, just like any other gun dealer!

    WalMarts current policy states that open/cc carrying in the store is permitted unless state or local law state otherwise. Managers are NOT allowed to deviate from this policy. They CANNOT ask you to leave or lock your weapon up in your car. Unfortunatly, all WalMart managers do not study these laws and sometimes their personal oppinion is expressed. A call to 1-800-walmart is usually all it takes to get them to follow proper policy!

    WalMart does ask that if you bring a rifle or shotgun into the store you let a manager carry it to the sporting goods counter.


    This info is passed on from Scott McHugh, VP of Asset Protection, 702 SW 8th Street, Bentonville, AR."
    __________________

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wentworth, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    142

    Post imported post

    I had an issue on 12-23. I got one phone call quick, the manager did state that they followed state and local laws. Then she said she did not think OC was legal and wanted to see the law that made it legal.

    Hey lady since you are so well informed about what MY rights are, why don't you show me the law that says I'm doing something illegal.

    That would have been my response.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •